question for you ladies

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 8th, 2010, 06:47 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to nvr.4.gtn
ok so I don't really plan to "homeschool" per se. I am not against it in anyway though. Just not for me. I know me to well and I am not structured enough to teach my girls what they need to know. I would be the "eh we will do it tomorrow" mom. lol

BUT I would like to give my 4 year old Nichole a head start in a few things since she loves to do it. I have a bunch of work books for pre schoolers. We bought her a new big box of crayolas that are ONLY for work books, and my in laws also gave us Hooked on Phonics that they got for free. Its the BIG set.

What I need some help with is being organized to do these things. Like do you have a special place that you work on this type of stuff? a certain time of day? How long? Do I just follow her want for time? So if she doesn't want to then don't do it kinda thing. She has interest in learning to read but I am not sure she is quite ready to either. So I want to encourage her to learn but don't want to push her and get her frustrated and she turns away from it kinda thing.

So any tips on working with a 4 year old (just turned for in January) would be appreciated.

**also she knows and recognizes letters and is starting to get sounds but has a hard time with it as well. Like if I ask hre what sound an M makes, she can say mmmm, but if I ask her what words start with that letter, she will say ball! or whatever. But if I ask her like "ball or monkey" she will say its monkey.

Made by Trish!!!! <3<3<3

March 8th, 2010, 07:28 AM
AmAnDaMo's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We're homeschooling the little one at least until K (hopefully longer...and I'd love for her sister to come home, too), and I just follow her lead. There will be days that she'll want to do 20 pages in her Singapore math book and some days that she doesn't want to do anything structured at all. She's young enough that it doesn't matter at all to me.

We just recently started to do about 15-30 minutes a day of structured learning time. We do it wherever we want to do it...outside on the swing, on the couch, at the table, or at the park. I even ask her math facts or how to spell something while she's riding her bike around the neighborhood. That's what's so fun about it...we can do whatever works for us.

Hooked on Phonics is a great program, and it's what I used for my oldest when she was four. The little one didn't like it as much, but she pretty much taught herself how to read anyway after she learned her letters/sounds from the Leapfrog Letter Factory DVD. She also loved Learn to Read with phonics and we are currently using the Explode the Code series along with readers and just pointing out different rules of phonics and that kind of thing in our day-to-day lives (and then she applies them to her own reading).

It sounds like you're on the right track. Just keep it fun.

March 8th, 2010, 08:27 AM
BensMom's Avatar Ephesians 4:29
Definitely follow her lead. Some kids like to do it, and some don't. If you see that she really wants to learn something but is getting frustrated/intimidated, you can teach her dolls. Kids love teaching, so she'll follow your lead and learn while "helping" you teach her dolls.

I think you might be going about it backwards, too. At 4, she may have a hard time coming up with her own thoughts, but she can easily follow yours. Rather than saying "what starts with M", say "what sound does Mmmmmonkey start with?" Then ask her what letter makes the "mmmm" sound.
March 8th, 2010, 09:13 AM
Amaranth Dhanya's Avatar aka Hillarie
Send a message via Yahoo to Amaranth Dhanya
My son is the lead basically. I go by his best time of day. There are times when he is easier to work with like while its "quiet time" for the rest of the house. He's calmer and he will listen better. I think it boils down to knowing him and how he works and then I go by that.

Sometimes in the mornings around 9a before he's all geared up and going,etc we will work for 20- 30 mins on something as well. I dont go longer than 30mins if I can help it because my sons attention span is not good after that.

As for special places, usually I sit on his bed with him in his room where its a bit quieter. If I need a table I have tv trays that I can bring with me.
March 8th, 2010, 09:26 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to nvr.4.gtn
Quote:
Originally Posted by BensMom View Post
Definitely follow her lead. Some kids like to do it, and some don't. If you see that she really wants to learn something but is getting frustrated/intimidated, you can teach her dolls. Kids love teaching, so she'll follow your lead and learn while "helping" you teach her dolls.

I think you might be going about it backwards, too. At 4, she may have a hard time coming up with her own thoughts, but she can easily follow yours. Rather than saying "what starts with M", say "what sound does Mmmmmonkey start with?" Then ask her what letter makes the "mmmm" sound.
I'll try to reverse it thats a great suggestion!! Gotta remember that!

thakns for the guidlines guys

Made by Trish!!!! <3<3<3

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search