My freakout before the baby gets here-curriculum

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 9th, 2010, 12:35 PM
therevslady's Avatar Built for Birth
So far, I just send the kids away to one of the grandparents house for the weekend whenever I need some time to put together Nevy's curriculum. Then I will work work work. I make a lot of my own stuff, but also use the crap out of free online stuff. It is very nice that it's free, but it takes SO. MUCH. TIME. So I'm kinda freaking out about not having time to do that after the baby comes (in July). I generally school year around, so I wasn't planning on taking a summer break or anything.

I am interested in curriculum for the first time. But I don't want one where she will spend all of her time on the computer. I don't want one that grades the papers for her. I don't want one that takes her attendance. She really gets a lot out of the one on one time that we have when we do school together, and I don't want the curriculum to take away from that. I just need some easily accessible resources. I had a mom friend tell me that she loved a certain curriculum because "It scripted out exactly what I was supposed to say to my child and made it so easy." I am definitely NOT looking for that. I started her in kindergarten level stuff in January 2009.... She just about has that stuff and is ready to move on to first grade stuff. So, are there curriculum out there that kind of fit what I am looking for? I don't have the internet right now to spend hours upon hours researching, so I thought I'd ask you all.

If not, then I will just continue to do what I am doing, because it's working for her... its just overwhelming for me to think about having two babies under two and having to keep up with putting together materials from scratch all the time.

March 9th, 2010, 01:50 PM
BensMom's Avatar Ephesians 4:29
You sound exactly like me. I hate that type of curriculum! Ok, so... you're looking for 1st grade, right? What subjects do you want? Are you trying to stick to a budget? Do you want to get everything at the same place, or does it matter if you get (for example) reading from one publisher and math from another? Secular, Christian, or doesn't matter?
March 9th, 2010, 05:16 PM
therevslady's Avatar Built for Birth
Yes, first grade. We're pretty poor, lol, so we def have to be thrifty with our choices.

As far a subjects go, she generally has spelling and reading that goes together. We do math, bible and liturgy, the arts, science, and social studies. So I'm just looking for something that will help me cover those bases. It really doesn't matter if it's secular or Christian, but we prefer catholic recources over Protestant. It also doesn't matter if it's from different sources.

Thanks ahead of time! I know you all probably get tired of curriculum questions!

March 9th, 2010, 08:27 PM
I'm not Catholic, but I've heard wonderful things about the Seton Catholic curriculum. Looks good from what I can tell, but of course I've never actually used it. I think you'll probably like it. Looking at the catalog, it seems you can buy whatever you want rather than having to buy a complete boxed set (so, if you wanted just history and handwriting, you could do that), and looking at the sample lesson plans, it looks like they give you a basic explanation of what YOU should teach your child without actually scripting it for you. Looks like what I think you're looking for.

Grade School Book List - Seton Home Study School - Elementary Samples
Seton Educational Media Catalog

... and no, I don't get tired of curriculum questions.
March 9th, 2010, 08:42 PM
Mega Super Mommy
How about Oak Meadow?

SciGuy,14 Butterfly Girl,12 Wyldchild,7 FlowerFairy,5 and Babybird,3

and RK, 13, exchange student from Japan

My Homeschooling Blog:
March 9th, 2010, 09:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motherbird View Post
How about Oak Meadow?
I've heard of that one, but I don't know much about it. It's classical style, right? I can't remember. Are you using it?
March 9th, 2010, 11:25 PM
Super Mommy
oak meadow is Waldorf. It's a lot of hands on. If you like classical HS AmblesideOnline
March 10th, 2010, 04:07 AM
Regular
Some things that came to my mind based on your desires were

history - Story of the World book and activity guide (I have read parts of the book to my children and mostly like it, I have not seen the activity guide)

science - noeo - it is expensive, but you could get the books from the library and just buy the curriculum guide and experiment kits to bring the price down

math - singapore, or maybe miquon?

I've only read about it on message boards so maybe I'm way off, but I'm thinking Sonlight may work well for you too.

There's a ton out there that I know nothing about though.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search