Question~How often & far back do you Re-review?

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 11th, 2010, 03:39 PM
KeriMomof2's Avatar Veteran
How often and far back do you re-review?

Today I was doing dd school -work (we do a Online Program) The way her studys are we can go back and re-do lessons if need be,but in general i like to keep going forward if at all possible.

Today we were doing Math and came across a lesson that would require her to count by 10's ect...now we have aleady learned this awhile ago...but for some reason she was drawing a blank
It was very aggervating to have to re teach her something that not to long ago she had down packed...
she has pulled this prior but usuually its just her not paying att. and usually a good scolding puts her mind back on and she knows how to do so & so ..(i hate to be neg. but only thing they seems to make her pay att)
My moms says kids need Alot of repation but i feel if they learned,got it down packed... then why?..to me it seems a waiste of time...sigh idk
So what do you do?
*Keri*I am a Co-sleeping ...Retired-EBF'er "8+years total"...No-circumcision... Non-Vaxing...Home-schooling/Road-schooling ~> College Student Momma, Who loves Blogging<~click to View O' and did I mention I am now a Avon Sales Rep ? www.youravon.com/Keri
March 11th, 2010, 05:08 PM
JustAKrazymom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to JustAKrazymom Send a message via MSN to JustAKrazymom
We do review as needed.. kids ( and adults) need to do things often to retain them. There's nothing wrong with going back and doing things again.. if you can make a game of it that's even better.
March 11th, 2010, 06:55 PM
Regular
I too find it frustrating when my children need to review something I thought they knew. Perhaps having the patience of a saint is something learned from homeschooling your children. I don't know why I expect them to remember certain things. I have learned LOTS of things that I no longer remember. I have gotten As on LOTS of tests, only to forget the material days later. Oh well.

Ditto to the above comment. We review as needed.
March 11th, 2010, 07:44 PM
BensMom's Avatar Ephesians 4:29
Yep. I review things myself sometimes, so of course a child would also need a review. Generally speaking, we move forward on things that build (like math). Things that are separate (like astronomy vs. zoology), I only review while we're using the material, and then we drop it and move on. I know the next time we do astronomy (3 years from now) we'll have to review some things, but I also know he'll understand more and retain more next time because he's already had the exposure this time. For things like math, though, I prefer a curriculum that is spiral rather than separate units. I mean, I want one that talks about numbers, computation, measurement units, and so on, all at the same time (although maybe not all the same day). Sorry... I'm probably not making much sense. I'm coming down with my younger son's strep, so I'm not feeling 100%.
March 11th, 2010, 09:51 PM
dalynnrmc's Avatar pronounced (day-lynn)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BensMom View Post
Yep. I review things myself sometimes, so of course a child would also need a review. Generally speaking, we move forward on things that build (like math). Things that are separate (like astronomy vs. zoology), I only review while we're using the material, and then we drop it and move on. I know the next time we do astronomy (3 years from now) we'll have to review some things, but I also know he'll understand more and retain more next time because he's already had the exposure this time.
But we prefer mastery programs. We don't move on in a curriculum until each specific subject is mastered, and then only review if needed. Two big examples of that are grammar (we use R&S) and math (we use MUS). Sometimes we park it on a lesson for a month or more until the kid REALLY REALLY "gets it" but it's totally worth it. In most of those subjects, future lessons will build at least partially on concepts assumed as previously learned, and IF we come across something we need to review (rarely happens, if ever, trying to think if it's ever...) then we do.

And things like history and science, we just hit it and move on. We'll hit it again in a few years, classical style modified.

Much thanks to Alethia for my beautiful siggie and tags!!
March 12th, 2010, 12:40 PM
therevslady's Avatar Built for Birth
We review ALL the time. I tend to teach something and then move forward two steps. The next time we talk about that subject again, we start from one step back....if that makes any sense. We are probably reviewing things about every 3-4 weeks. So two steps forward and one step back. I guess Paula Abdul left her mark on me, lol.

As an example, we will do a short spelling list every week, and the last week of every month we will study all of the words we learned that month and take a test from our monthly word list.

March 13th, 2010, 10:58 PM
Sandra314's Avatar Homeschooling Mom
Send a message via Yahoo to Sandra314
The majority of curriculum we have (with the exception of our Nature Studies) using a spiral learning method to help the student master concepts through the process of introduction, review, and reinforcement.

We review as needed most of the time.

Married for 14+ years to the love of my life. Currently TTCing.
March 15th, 2010, 09:23 PM
in_mommy's Avatar I am just me
I think review is necessary for everyone to master a subject. A review once in a while will not hurt her at all and would be good to do
March 22nd, 2010, 02:46 PM
KeriMomof2's Avatar Veteran
Thanks Ladies
I really appriciate all your comments.....It can be hard to know what,if & when sometimes when it comes to hsin....
Iv been allowing her to do alot more review....and its been helping...guess i just have to go back every now and then to make sure she remembered.. (mainly math that she has been forgetting...)
*Keri*I am a Co-sleeping ...Retired-EBF'er "8+years total"...No-circumcision... Non-Vaxing...Home-schooling/Road-schooling ~> College Student Momma, Who loves Blogging<~click to View O' and did I mention I am now a Avon Sales Rep ? www.youravon.com/Keri

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search