Hi new to this board (Long Introduction) :)

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 12th, 2010, 08:59 PM
Mami's Avatar Christian Parent
I always wanted to home school but my son was speech-delayed and no matter what I did, I could never get him to repeat or talk. At this point, DH & I decided to get him to Early Headstart with speech therapies 3x week at school. He went to school starting at age 3 probably saying 5 words total. By the 3rd month, he was talking alot and we have continued to keep him in school.

Well, big problem now is that next year, he will be in kindergarten with a new teacher and a new school closer to us. He has had his current teacher for over a year so he was excited to start again in the fall. He is not very good with change. I fear that he will hate the same in a new school and brand new teacher. He already tells me, he is staying with current teacher. Its not possible.

I am happy that he actually got to early preschool because I do believe he truly has an excellent teacher. Eventhough I disagree with alot of things, she cares for her kids and has been a great attribute to my son. Now I just hope next year will be same if I do send him to public school.

Now, I know my son is very smart but they demand way too many things in kindergarten that I dont agree that they should be doing. Like reading for example, the teacher told me is behind on reading right now. I was like what, he is 4 yrs old. She told me that by the end of next year, he should be reading a short story. He should also be doing some adding and subtractions. I think he can do that now but still, I dont remember this way back then. I remember I started reading in maybe end of first to beg of second grade.

You know apart of me wants him to go to school because I think he should but other wants him home. One thing that I hate is the attitude he has developed in school. I swear when he is with me for a few days, he is totally different boy than we comes home from school.

Is there anyway possible that he can go part-time to school and be part-time homeschool? LOL I dont think its possible but I should look into it. If anyone has any information on this let me know, I live in Florida just in case.

Ok sorry for the novel.

Thank you JMC1988 for the beautiful siggy!

March 12th, 2010, 09:46 PM
dalynnrmc's Avatar pronounced (day-lynn)
I'm pretty sure this varies by state, but here in Texas we have the right to have access to all the special ed programs - like speech therapy - without having to attend the ps for academics. It's something to check on, and I'd check with the local homeschooling community first. If you can find one that is specifically special education homeschoolers, they'd absolutely know the answer to that kind of thing. If your insurance won't cover it separately then that's where to look. (And if insurance WOULD cover it, you can always go that route and find a private speech therapist while homeschooling.)

Something else to check into would be the state's compulsory attendance laws. If he's only 4 and will turn 5 during the next school year, it's totally possible that you could put him in a p/t care facility of some sort and homeschool him the rest of the time if that's what you wanted. Things like Mother's Day Out, even.

If money is available, something else to look into is Montessori style schools. Most of those, at least around here, offer a part-time schedule for younger kiddos.

HTH!

I do know that my oldest son benefitted from the ps speech program, but that was the ONLY benefit of it for us and we pulled him after 1st grade because the school flat out couldn't meet his needs in ANY other area. We easily could have had speech covered through insurance and saved ourselves the headache that was 1st grade.

You said your son doesn't deal well with change. That says things to me, but I'll voice this - things change every year, if not more often, in the ps. At home they would change only as often as you chose to change them. It's one reason we started homeschooling also.

Hope you find what works for your family!

ETA: ROFL And I'm long winded too! I forgot to say... Welcome to the board!

Much thanks to Alethia for my beautiful siggie and tags!!
March 12th, 2010, 10:40 PM
BensMom's Avatar Ephesians 4:29
WELCOME! Ok, so it's after midnight, and we're having an open house tomorrow (we're moving). I HAVE to go to bed right now. I'll be back to properly respond to your thread, though. It might be Sunday before I get to it, but I'll be back.
March 13th, 2010, 07:03 AM
AmAnDaMo's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We have several options here including a school that runs three full days a week and you're required to homeschool with their materials the other two days. Also, our district offers homeschool enrichment where kids can go for a six, two, or half hour school day once a week from K-6 for Science, Technology, Communication Skills, Art, Music, and PE where Spanish is integrated into the daily curriculum. I'd check around and see if your area offers anything similar.

March 13th, 2010, 07:31 AM
Regular
http://www.floridaschoolchoice.org/i...s/ESE_faqs.pdf

http://www.fldoe.org/faq/default.asp...07&ID=503#Q503

Based on those links - compulsory education in Florida starts at age 6 - if your child turns 6 by February 1 of any given school year he has to be enrolled, otherwise you could keep him home. Maybe they will let him stay in the preschool for an extra year?

I think it says that the school district does have to provide tests and diagnostics, but does not have to provide speech therapy to your child if he is homeschooled, but there looks to be an option to have him go to school part time (dual enroll), and then they would have to provide services. If speech therapy isn't considered an "exceptional student" service then I am in the wrong place all together - sorry. Hope this helps, and I agree that the local homeschool group would likely know everything.
March 13th, 2010, 07:17 PM
BensMom's Avatar Ephesians 4:29
I'm glad you've been able to get help so far, but I hate that your son will have to have a new teacher next year. If you're not able to get the help you need through PS kindergarten, would you be able to do private assistance instead? Would your health insurance cover something like that? My son is in physical and occupational therapy right now, and the facility we go to also offers speech therapy. It's helping him a lot.
March 14th, 2010, 08:26 PM
Mami's Avatar Christian Parent
Thanks girls for all the help. looking into it all!

Thank you JMC1988 for the beautiful siggy!

March 15th, 2010, 09:11 PM
in_mommy's Avatar I am just me
Welcome!!!! If I were you, I would look into finding a local homeschool group to find out the specifics of your district. I know around here it is possible, but I am not sure what services they offer.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search