How much time a day?

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 15th, 2010, 02:37 AM
MotherFrog's Avatar lost in la la land
How many hours (or however) are you homeschooling? Do you do it year round? Weekends?

Just trying to figure out what will work for us. I'm really wanting to homeschool but DH isn't that into it yet. He thinks they need to go to school to be social. Um, I was a social outcast, school did nothing for me but make me miserable and if he would think on it, so was he.

I'm going to try and find homeschool parents in my area for the social part of life and there is always church.

March 15th, 2010, 05:14 AM
therevslady's Avatar Built for Birth
My daughter is 5 and we do about 3 hours a day on average... Not including music and extra curriculars. We do school year around and take breaks on an as-needed basis.

Homeschool hasn't effected my daughter's social life in the least. She is a total social butterfly and makes friends so easily! I think the cool thing about her is that she is exposed to so many different age groups on a regular basisand she gets along great with more than just other 5 year old (which can be typical for many public school kids). So yeah.... Just because you homeschool, it doesn't mean that your child is isolated. I read somewhere that homeschool helps develope more socially well rounded people who excel in the business world because of their social skills since these kids are accustomed to talking to people on many different levels from themselves.

March 15th, 2010, 07:04 AM
BensMom's Avatar Ephesians 4:29
Mine's 4. We're starting 2nd grade. We usually do about 30 minutes per day, 5 days a week, year-round. Some days (like for science) we'll do more than 30 minutes. We also take breaks throughout the year ... like, a week for thanksgiving, 2 weeks for xmas, couple of weeks for summer camp, etc.

Socialization isn't an issue unless you're the type that lives in the middle of no where and makes no effort to see other people. Actually, studies show that homeschooled children are better socialized than PS children, because they're able to interact with a variety of people rather than just the kids in their own class. Besides, kids at PS don't "socialize" much either. They're not allowed to talk during class (unless doing a group project... which doesn't happen in the early grades), and they're usually not allowed to talk during lunch. Some places have recess, but most don't, especially after about 3-4 grade.
March 15th, 2010, 10:51 AM
JustAKrazymom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to JustAKrazymom Send a message via MSN to JustAKrazymom
I have 3 I am schooling so our day tends to be a touch longer than some. the 3rd grader has about 2.5-3 hours of seatwork on a full day ( we do 3 full days and 2 half days a week), the 1st grader about an hour to 90 min and my youngest who does a VERY loose K about 20-30 mins a day..now because there are 3 this time can take up to 5 hours of the day to get with breaks and lunch..
March 15th, 2010, 01:36 PM
AmAnDaMo's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I do school 3 or 4 days a week for 15-30 minutes a day with my little one. Although she's doing mostly 1st grade work, she's still preschool age and we don't really have a set schedule for that reason. Some days we'll spend a little longer, like when she wants to do 20 pages of math (she loves math!). Some days she just wants to play outside all day, and that's fine, too. Of course she's always learning, though, and we take advantage of teachable moments and she'll often come to me with a topic she wants to know more about. When that happens, we'll spend a great deal of time on it because the interest is there.

We'll do it on the weekends or over the summer/breaks whenever she asks, and since my oldest wants to try homeschooling over the summer, I'm sure the little one will want to be in on it.

Last edited by AmAnDaMo; March 15th, 2010 at 01:39 PM.
March 15th, 2010, 02:08 PM
Sandra314's Avatar Homeschooling Mom
Send a message via Yahoo to Sandra314
We homeschool about 4-5 days a week depending on medical appointments or other activities. Generally for my preschooler we spend about 30-40 minutes a day and with my older son we spend about 3 hours with breaks.

On some days we do our Nature studies so we spend more time on homeschooling.

Married for 14+ years to the love of my life. Currently TTCing.
March 15th, 2010, 05:04 PM
dalynnrmc's Avatar pronounced (day-lynn)
((Total side note here... WELL HELLO there, Sandra! Are you stalking me? ))

Depends on the ages of the kids. My younger two - K and 1st - get about an hour a day when we're into it. My oldest - 5th almost 6th grade and on a "classical" goal list - spends more like 4-5 hours.

Maybe the number of their grade (which is also totally arbitrary) is a good guide for how many hours a day? Or not. Doesn't work for high school.

And we school year-round and take breaks as we want to. That depends on state laws though, and in Texas we have very few of those.

Much thanks to Alethia for my beautiful siggie and tags!!
March 15th, 2010, 05:18 PM
Sandra314's Avatar Homeschooling Mom
Send a message via Yahoo to Sandra314
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalynnrmc View Post
((Total side note here... WELL HELLO there, Sandra! Are you stalking me? ))
No, if you look at when I joined JM you'll see I was here first.

Married for 14+ years to the love of my life. Currently TTCing.
March 15th, 2010, 05:20 PM
dalynnrmc's Avatar pronounced (day-lynn)

Well it's good to see you. But lemme say - we really shouldn't hijack MF's thread. I did that once this week already.

Almost dinner time but we'll chat soon!

Much thanks to Alethia for my beautiful siggie and tags!!
March 15th, 2010, 07:31 PM
Mega Super Mommy
When I was doing high school I spent between 4 and 8 hours a day on school work, depending on the work load I had at the time.

In the 'middle school' period I spent between 3 and 6 hours.

In 3rd-4th grades I rarely spent more than 3-4 hours.

In 1st-2nd grades I spent about 1-2 hours.

In Kindergarten I don't believe I spent more than 30 mins.

I believe I heard a while back that an average of 30 mins per grade (starting in K, so 30mins in K, 1hr in 1st, 1.5 hr in 2nd, etc.) was to be anticipated for seat work/worksheet things, and everything else a lot of people don't even really count, lol. It just kind of happens through the day. It does depend on the number of worksheets and the child's motivation and such, but from what I have seen the seated time does tend to work along that guideline in most cases...
March 15th, 2010, 08:50 PM
christianmommato3's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to christianmommato3 Send a message via Yahoo to christianmommato3
I homeschool 2 kids. The length of time really varies on the subjects for that day and the motivation of the kids...
My 2nd grader is usually finished in 2-3 hours. My 4th grader is around 3-4 hours.
I usually do 5 days a week, but there are some weeks we do 4 days for field trips or just busy that day..... I give them a 2 week break for Christmas but we do school all of the other "school vacation days"... We start in August and finish in April....
We have field trips once a month with our homeschool group at church so my kids get plenty of social times.

March 15th, 2010, 08:57 PM
in_mommy's Avatar I am just me
Well, for us, IF she works like she should and is cooperative with it, then we are done before noon, with us starting around 8:30 or so.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search