Question about homeschooling one of your children.

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 16th, 2010, 05:11 AM
JustBecca's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to JustBecca
So I am going to try to make this short. I have 3 children. They are 10, 8 and 5 as of next Wednesday. Our 10 year old has epilepsy and some learning disabilities. Although she is advancing per say in her classes I feel like these teaches are just pushing her on. We already had her retained when she was in 2nd grade because she was barely reading. Even now in the 4th grade she is not even on a 2nd grade reading level. She struggles daily and she hates school. My very good friend home schools and we join her for a lot of their activities. My kids do science and bible and we have a book club with a group of home schoolers. They told me that they forgive me for sending my kids to public school...big joke which I think is funny. Our 8 year old is in the gifted program and very advanced and loves school. Our almost 5 year old is in Early Start. He absolutely loves it. He is even learning how to read which is something that I knew that he wasn't willing to even try at the beginning of the year. He is a very stubborn child and get angry when he doesn't want to do something. Every Saturday morning he cries because there is no school. He really enjoys it.

So my question is: Is there anyone out there that only home schools one of their children? I am trying to meet Sadie's (the 10 year olds) educational needs as I do not feel like she is getting them met at school. The other 2 however are doing wonderful and advancing and enjoying everything. I have a huge support system and I know that I can help her. I just don't know if it is uncommon to just home school one child and send the others to public school. Not that I care about that so much. I guess I am looking for some sort of reassurance that this is something that others have done.

Thanks for reading and any advice or comments that ya'll have.

Becca

Thank you ~* Helen *~ for the best all about me siggie! You are absolutely fabulous!
March 16th, 2010, 06:16 AM
broxi3781's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I am completely open to only homeschooling one at some point. At the moment my oldest is the only one old enough for school and is home educated. I anticipate he will probabley go to regular school at some point. At that time my youngest may well still be home educated. Its just a matter of what is best for each child at that particular time. When either of mine decide they want to move on to regular school, that will be their choice.

I would have no problem at all in your situation home educating just the one that wants to home school. But as I always say, you know your own children better then anyone else, go with what feels righ to you
March 16th, 2010, 11:04 AM
BensMom's Avatar Ephesians 4:29
Homeschooling one is VERY common, and people have all sorts of reasons for doing it. in_mommy and justakrazymom are two members here that immediately come to mind who have one in PS and one or more HS'ing.
March 16th, 2010, 03:24 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I have 1 in public school and homeschool the rest. It works just fine. I think it's much easier and nicer to have all of them homeschooling together (for lots of reasons) but my 11 yr old wanted to go to school this year and we are letting her give it a shot. (She's doing great with it btw.) Next year I will most likely have more of them joining her at public school. My soon to be 8th grade homeschool graduate will be going to high school. And my now 1st grader may do 2nd grade in public school next year as well. But more than likely my kindergartener will continue to homeschool and of course the 2 yr old will be home too.
Flexibility is key. You can do it! :-)

SciGuy,14 Butterfly Girl,12 Wyldchild,7 FlowerFairy,5 and Babybird,3

and RK, 13, exchange student from Japan

My Homeschooling Blog:
March 16th, 2010, 04:23 PM
That's right... I KNEW there was someone else. *smacks forehead* Thanks for jumping in here.
March 16th, 2010, 04:51 PM
Thanks Ladies. I really appreciate it. I think that I am going to start next week. As far as I can see and what I have been told by all my friends that do home school all I have to do is give them my letter of intent to home school and a copy of my diploma, I do need to find that, and that is it. I am going to get some different things to be able to accurately see where she is at and then we will go from there. I am kind of nervous but I figure with a good support system like what I have, I can do it. Thanks again ladies!

Thank you ~* Helen *~ for the best all about me siggie! You are absolutely fabulous!
March 16th, 2010, 05:07 PM
Mega Super Mommy
You live in my area.

In order to pull her from public school mid- year, you want to submit your NOI FIRST, and then submit your notice of withdrawal from public school about a week after. If you pull her out before you know they have the NOI in hand, they *could* charge you with truancy (though it doesn't tend to happen...). Anyway, just to be on the safe side, I'd get the NOI written up now and submit it with a copy of your diploma, and then about 7 days after mailing the NOI I'd give them the withdrawal notice, and then she doesn't have to go back. You'll have to submit another NOI for the 2010-2011 school year as well.
March 16th, 2010, 05:08 PM
Here's the law for Virginia. http://www.hslda.org/laws/analysis/Virginia.pdf
March 16th, 2010, 05:20 PM
JustAKrazymom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to JustAKrazymom Send a message via MSN to JustAKrazymom
Yup my oldest is back in school.. although honestly I would prefer if he wasn't.. but that's another post.. he's in 10th grade so only 2 more years of one foot in each door. I have no intention of my other 3 every stepping foot in a school ( God willing) as I just dislike the whole school frame of mind. My oldest was only HS'd for 2 years..where as my other three have never been to school at all.

One big thing for us is again being tied to the school calendar..I won't miss that at all!
March 17th, 2010, 05:23 AM
Is there any reason why I can not submit both my NOI and my withdrawal letter at the same time? I drive by the school board building a few times a day. For the last 3 years of being here and all the issues that we have had I just drop stuff off and watch them stamp it. I do not like the post office here. They are constantly loosing our mail...long story!

March 17th, 2010, 09:18 AM
Mega Super Mommy
There's no reason you can't, but HSLDA and HEAV (Home Educators Association of Virginia) both recommend spacing it so you know the NOI has been processed (thus a week or so between the two) to avoid any chance of a truancy accusation.
March 18th, 2010, 04:48 AM
So yesterday I went down and talked with the lady that does the home school stuff with our city. She started off being really nice. And asked me if I had my NOI and withdrawal letter, a copy of my diploma and my curriculum. I gave her everything except the curriculum. I had typed up a brief description of what we will do and told her that we were going to use a few different curriculum's until we figured out which one our daughter learns from best. She then told me I had 30 days to declare my curriculum and give them the list. I don't understand that because no where in the homeschooling laws can I see where it states this, my friends that home school said they can not ask that, and I just don't know what to do about it. I was going to call her and as her where in the laws is says I have to do that and see what she says.

Other than all that her last day is on Friday and we are going to start on Monday. Sadie is excited and her teachers are upset. Oh well. I am sure that they will get over it.

Thanks again Ladies. I really do appreciate all your help.

March 18th, 2010, 06:43 AM
http://www.hslda.org/laws/analysis/Virginia.pdf

Read option 1, numbers 4 & 5. You may need to fax over a copy of this (highlighted) to show exactly what you're doing. Tell them what subjects you plan to teach, but as far as I can tell, you don't have to tell them which curriculum you'll use.
March 18th, 2010, 08:01 AM
Mega Super Mommy
With the option you are using, your curriculum description can be as simple as the following:

"We will be educating Sadie to the 4th grade level or higher using _______ for arithmetic and _____ for language arts. We reserve the right to change any and all methods and materials to meet Sadie's needs as the year progresses."

That way it doesn't matter if you change your mind or whatever, you can use ten different things and they still have your original 'plan'. You are required by law to declare your curriculum plan, but you're only required to tell them what you're planning for math and language arts. Basically they just want to be sure that you know where you are heading for the year and aren't just jumping from one thing to another with no rhyme or reason.
March 18th, 2010, 08:20 PM
in_mommy's Avatar I am just me
I hope everything works out for you on getting things done with your local district. It sounds like too that it may be in your best interest to sign up for hslda in case they do decide to try to go after you. I hs 1 and the other goes to private school for K. Next year I will be hs'ing him as well.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search