How do yy'all feel about this?

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 19th, 2010, 08:13 PM
Platinum Supermommy
ARE THEY ALL YOURS?!??: Some thoughts on Switched-on-Schoolhouse and similar curricula

I was shocked to learn that the same company was selling both a secular and a christian text. ( I know some companies do this but I didn't think AOP did). It kinda makes me wonder ya know, Horizons is a great program (so I have heard) but I don't know if I can support this company after learning this.
A-6yrs 3/08
J-4.5yrs 11/09
K 2.5yrs 9/11
And
L-7/12/14!!!!

March 19th, 2010, 08:38 PM
BensMom's Avatar Ephesians 4:29
If I were basing my entire curriculum on any of those companies, I'd consider dropping them. However, I use a variety of religious and non-religious curricula, and I have my own Bible curriculum.

Another point ... My husband is agnostic, very much (VERY MUCH) believes in evolution, and often pokes fun at what I teach the kids (sometimes in front of the kids). I'm used to editing things in books, filtering TV, and explaining what daddy said (and why he said it). The kids pray for him every night. Of their own accord, mind you. The kids see both sides and understand one is from God and one isn't. In that sense, I'd have no problem with those companies who publish both types of curricula. Even a 16 month old knows which side of the argument to take when one side blows things out of proportion or blows up in anger and the other stays calm.
March 19th, 2010, 09:23 PM
AmAnDaMo's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Since I haven't read the statements that seem sarcastic, it's difficult for me to really get a sense of what she is talking about. With limited knowledge, I just see it as the same curriculum that appeals to different people by adding content or leaving it out.

Ideally, I'd like a curriculum to present both sides which would allow me to elaborate so that my children could ultimately decide for themselves. I want my kids to see things from all angles, and not only in this area, of course.

It's a bit unsettling that it doesn't seem to be common knowledge that both SOS and Odysseyware are made by the same company, however, as it definitely indicates that they seem concerned about making a profit above anything else. I imagine that isn't any different than many other companies out there, though.

Last edited by AmAnDaMo; March 19th, 2010 at 09:29 PM.
March 19th, 2010, 10:20 PM
Regular
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmAnDaMo View Post
Since I haven't read the statements that seem sarcastic, it's difficult for me to really get a sense of what she is talking about. With limited knowledge, I just see it as the same curriculum that appeals to different people by adding content or leaving it out.

It's a bit unsettling that it doesn't seem to be common knowledge that both SOS and Odysseyware are made by the same company, however, as it definitely indicates that they seem concerned about making a profit above anything else. I imagine that isn't any different than many other companies out there, though.
I agree, but I see how it kind of stinks because it's nice to think you're buying curriculum from an individual, or a few individuals, with similar beliefs and values, not just a company who wants your money.
March 20th, 2010, 09:46 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I have a few problems with the blog post. First of all, she loses a little credibility when she says if you're homeschooling its probably because you don't want your children being taught by unbelievers. That lets me know she is living in a sheltered world and doesn't look out to see the vast differences in homeschoolers or their reasons for homeschooling. Does that really affect the main point of the article? I don't know, but it bugged me so I wanted to bring it up. :-)
As for the Alpha Omega company, my thoughts are this: It is entirely possible to give fair and equal attention to both Creation beliefs and Evolution beliefs. Despite popular ideas and teachings, the two can peacefully coexist. There is no reason to discredit one to prove the other. Many people will disagree with me on this I'm sure, but I wholeheartedly believe it to be true.
Saying this, if the company has no Christian leanings or understanding then I don't think it would be wise to purchase Christian-based curriculum from them simply because they may not be able to give authentic information. But if they have a good grasp on Christianity, then I don't see the problem with it. Also as I stated already, they may equally have a good grasp on Evolution theories and therefore can present that information in their secular programs. I wouldn't see it as a betrayal. I might be more inclined to call it "well-rounded." :-)

SciGuy,14 Butterfly Girl,12 Wyldchild,7 FlowerFairy,5 and Babybird,3

and RK, 13, exchange student from Japan

My Homeschooling Blog:
March 20th, 2010, 09:58 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I think the big problem that I have with AOP having a secular curriculum is the fact that they don't link to their 'alternative' on their Christian site. That tells me that they are hiding it for some reason, which is not okay with me.

I see no issues with having the same curriculum in a secular version. I do think they could present the two "THEORIES" (Creation and evolution) in their secular program without compromising anything, and I can't remember if they cover evolution at all in their Christian curriculum, but I do think that even a Christian science curriculum needs to talk about it!
March 20th, 2010, 11:52 AM
mater bibit
Whether I share a company's beliefs or not, my respect and support are reserved for those who clearly represent themselves fully in whatever their philosophies are.

To me this has nothing to do with if and/or how evolution is taught. It's about the clear representation of who is teaching.
March 20th, 2010, 12:27 PM
Regular
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiskid1324 View Post
I think the big problem that I have with AOP having a secular curriculum is the fact that they don't link to their 'alternative' on their Christian site. That tells me that they are hiding it for some reason, which is not okay with me.

I see no issues with having the same curriculum in a secular version. I do think they could present the two "THEORIES" (Creation and evolution) in their secular program without compromising anything, and I can't remember if they cover evolution at all in their Christian curriculum, but I do think that even a Christian science curriculum needs to talk about it!
I would have a big problem with a secular science book addressing creationism since that is a religious belief and from a secular viewpoint, religion and science are not related. Also, to be clear theory does not equal hypothesis when used as a scientific term. The following is from dictionary.com

1. Theory, hypothesis are used in non-technical contexts to mean an untested idea or opinion. A theory in technical use is a more or less verified or established explanation accounting for known facts or phenomena: the theory of relativity

I don't know if that's what you meant when you put theory in caps and put quotes around it, just making sure. If I misunderstood your post I apologize.
March 20th, 2010, 01:36 PM
mater bibit
Quote:
Originally Posted by crstarlette View Post
I would have a big problem with a secular science book addressing creationism since that is a religious belief and from a secular viewpoint, religion and science are not related. Also, to be clear theory does not equal hypothesis when used as a scientific term. The following is from dictionary.com

1. Theory, hypothesis are used in non-technical contexts to mean an untested idea or opinion. A theory in technical use is a more or less verified or established explanation accounting for known facts or phenomena: the theory of relativity

I don't know if that's what you meant when you put theory in caps and put quotes around it, just making sure. If I misunderstood your post I apologize.
So, the technical term that applies to creation, evolution, or whatever else is out there, is hypothesis? I'm just wanting to be accurate in my own conversing on these things. I thought I recalled from science that 'theory' wasn't the currect term but I couldn't recall what was. I had been thinking based upon a really shady memory of such things that before becoming a 'theory' it was considered a 'model' which was based upon an original 'hypothesis'.
March 20th, 2010, 11:11 PM
Regular
Evolution is a scientific theory. Creationism is a religious belief. The two are not necessarily duelistic.

Creation Science and Intelligent Design have been termed pseudosciences by the scientific community.
March 22nd, 2010, 09:49 AM
mater bibit
Ok, well, I know enough to know that is full of logical fallacies. Whatever you call them, they are both on equal ground the the "scientific community" means nothing in and of itself. You may as well call them "the group of people I'm willing to listen to to the exclusion of all the other scientists who disagree".

Last edited by mater bibit; March 22nd, 2010 at 11:35 AM.
March 22nd, 2010, 11:54 AM
Regular
Sorry, that's just not true. CA111: Scientists reject evolution? Whereas majority rules has no basis in many instances, science is set up so that the majority will believe what has been proven with sound methods. The group of people I'm willing to believe would be 98.5% of scientists within the US - and if you include the rest of the world, the group of people I'm willing to listen to is over 99% of scientists in the relevant field. Less than 1% of scientists believing in creation science does not put it on equal footing.

Which logical fallacies do you find?

You may believe what you wish, but as science goes, creation science is just not a valid theory. This is why many people believe in both creationism and evolution, but not creation science.
March 22nd, 2010, 02:16 PM
BensMom's Avatar Ephesians 4:29
***Let me remind everyone that this is a homeschooling board. The original question was about the company having two different (hidden) agendas. The spin-off debate about religious/non-religious science doesn't belong on this board (it would go on the debate board or religious boards). Stating whether or not you would trust a company that isn't forthright in its marketing is fine for this board.***

Last edited by BensMom; March 22nd, 2010 at 02:19 PM.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search