R.E.A.L Science vs. Real Science-4-kids

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 20th, 2010, 09:34 PM
frgsonmysox's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to frgsonmysox Send a message via MSN to frgsonmysox Send a message via Yahoo to frgsonmysox
Do you have any experience with either? Both look really good and I'm not sure which one to purchase
~Beth~ Wife to my Airman Chris, and mommy to: Anthony Nathaniel (8/31/04), Anastasia Fae (8/01/06), Baby C (lost on 10/12/07), David Cillian (7/31/08), Charles George (4/29/10), and Alan Christopher (2/22/12)

My BLOG - A Day In The Life of a Freg (it's a little bit of everything!)
March 20th, 2010, 10:39 PM
Regular
I have experience with neither. I have read that the word "design" is used in Real Science 4 Kids because, although the curriculum is advertised as a secular one, the writer is religious. I haven't seen the sentences for myself, so I don't know if it's a legit complaint or not.
March 21st, 2010, 12:55 PM
ilovemy3wikids
We are using R.E.A.L. science for the 2nd year and love it It's very hands on ( tons of easy experiments) and not overly complicated!! It also has extra recommended books and websites if you choose to use them We were using something else before and Hailey was so bored, now she loves science They have a try before you buy on their website so you can try it and see what you think
March 21st, 2010, 08:12 PM
BensMom's Avatar Ephesians 4:29
I've never tried either one. Sorry! I usually just look at review sites if I'm not sure.

Cathy Duffy Homeschooling Curriculum reviews
HomeSchoolReviews.com -- Homeschool Curriculum Reviews
March 21st, 2010, 08:27 PM
frgsonmysox's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to frgsonmysox Send a message via MSN to frgsonmysox Send a message via Yahoo to frgsonmysox
The review sites seem pretty positive. I was planning on ordering all three of the currently published curriculum's because all three touch on what he is supposed to learn... but it says each volume is supposed to take one full year to complete. So would the best option be to just pull from each volume as units?
~Beth~ Wife to my Airman Chris, and mommy to: Anthony Nathaniel (8/31/04), Anastasia Fae (8/01/06), Baby C (lost on 10/12/07), David Cillian (7/31/08), Charles George (4/29/10), and Alan Christopher (2/22/12)

My BLOG - A Day In The Life of a Freg (it's a little bit of everything!)
March 21st, 2010, 09:15 PM
BensMom's Avatar Ephesians 4:29
Mmmmm.....well..... it really depends how it's laid out. I'm not familiar with those, so I don't know if they're the unit type or not. If they are, it would work fine.
March 22nd, 2010, 09:18 AM
Regular
With regard to REAL Science Odyssey, that company is trying to have its curricula organized to suit classical homeschoolers. In The Well Trained Mind (the book that most classical homeschoolers have read) it recommends doing biology in first grade, astronomy and earth science in second grade, chemistry in third grade, and physics in fourth grade. I can't imagine why the company chooses not to do a year of physics. Noeo science chooses to ignore earth and space (or according to them, incorporate it into physics, but it's still not the same as a full year curriculum). I guess that issue is another topic all together though.

If you want something more unit-y you could look at some kits like Young Scientists Club.

I believe the My Pals Are Here curriculum at Singapore Math is also more rounded. It says it's for grades 3-4, but people say they don't start science right away in Singapore so the book is very basic.

Another idea is to subscribe to a magazine like Odyssey or one of these and do the experiments in them.

You could also go to the library and pick out books to read on a topic. Then you can find experiments for them in a book by Janice VanCleave (that links to one book out of MANY) or any other book of science experiments.

On the other hand, maybe someone who has actually used the curriculum will come and say that it's easy to turn it into units. I can only give very basic background information and more ideas.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search