Need homeschool preschool ideas...?

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 22nd, 2010, 03:07 PM
*~ Joni ~*'s Avatar Jordana Jacoby & Jamason
Hi everyone. I want to do an informal play/preschool program with my daughter because she is so interested in learning academics. When I put on a "play" dvd (as in not a learning dvd but one for entertainment, like Disney) she is more interested in asking me what the credits say than she is in watching the movie. When we go in Toys R Us she goes straight to the books.. etc. So I want to encourage her interests and give her some new learning activities but I'm kinda stuck.

I have checked out the resource vault and I LOVE this site - especially the file folder games however many of them would be too easy for her now. But when I look at the higher level stuff, much of it involves worksheets and at 2 1/2, she's not writing yet. Is there something between file folder games and worksheets?

Sorry this is so long. I didn't intend to write a book. I'll describe her level at this point and what I have in mind for her as the next step. Please let me know if I'm leaving anything out!

Pre-reading
Knows:
all capital and lowercase letters as well as the letter sounds both receptively and expressively.
Can sight read around 25 words
Next step:
A file folder game matching capital to lowercase letters for review
A file folder game with simple pictures (dog, cat...) that has the the first letter missing _og, _at, where she places the first letter of the word where it belongs.
Same with ending letters
Same with middle letters
File folder game matching simple sight words to picture

Pre-math
Knows:
Numbers up to 20 expressively, receptively a little higher
Rote counts to 20
Counts objects to 10
Next step:
File folder game matching written number to number of objects 11 - 20
Patterning file folder games
What else?

Concepts
Knows:
Colors
Shapes
Body Parts, etc..
Next step:
File folder game sorting shapes
File folder game sorting colors
File folder game sorting categories (plants vs. animals, fruit vs. veggies, etc...)

Motor skills
Can:
Draw an age-appropriate face
Color reasonably close to the lines
String large beads
Stack blocks
Next step:
Tracing activities
Stringing smaller beads
Lacing activities
Work more on coloring

Am I forgetting anything? Also, as experienced homeschoolers, should I focus on her reading strength since she loves it or should I work on bringing the other skills up to the same level before helping advance the reading more? I'm worried she is all over the charts.

Thanks so much!
March 22nd, 2010, 03:36 PM
Regular
At 2 1/2 I would say do whatever she wants. I don't see any reason to worry about her skill level in any category. If she likes to do things that result in learning, great! If not, it's ok, she's 2. It sounds like she's already ahead of many two-year-olds.

If you're in search of materials, though, you could look at the Handwriting Without Tears pre-k materials, Family Math for Young Children, Mudpies to Magnets, and I really like Lace & Link Letters. There are also some Kumon workbooks for cutting, pasting, and tracing that you might like.

To your list, I would add puzzles and cutting.
March 22nd, 2010, 04:14 PM
Thanks so much!!
March 23rd, 2010, 08:09 AM
AmAnDaMo's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
It looks like you have lots of great ideas. The only thing I can think of for math is to play some number order games (which number comes next, which number comes before) and maybe introduce her to the concept of simple addition if she's ready. We really liked the Singapore Earlybird workbooks for a solid math foundation if you're looking for something a little more structured. They give ideas for lots of hands-on activities for each lesson, too, which we loved.

I would just follow her lead and if she's really interested in reading, go for it. I don't know that her reading skills are that much more advanced than her other skills, though...she sounds like she's at a solid late preschool/early K level all around.

For handwriting, we use Handwriting Without Tears (as someone already mentioned). We've never used the PreK level, but from what I understand, there is lots of tracing.

Read lots of books together and just have fun. We are currently using Sonlight's P 4/5 world cultures and science (and a few of the read-alouds) and my little one absolutely loves it. I'm learning a lot, too.

Last edited by AmAnDaMo; March 23rd, 2010 at 08:42 AM.
March 23rd, 2010, 09:11 AM
BensMom's Avatar Ephesians 4:29
When Ben was that age, his motor skills weren't even close to her level yet. Actually, he still can't color in the lines. (I think you already know he's in therapy from another board...?) Anyway! We mostly just did the Starfall website when he was 2. We read book after book after book. We went places and talked about where we were. I mean... things like... uh... colors, for example. He already knew his colors, so it was fun for him to learn that when you're in the car, red = stop and green = go. He was my little backseat driver and would help me decide if we should stop for a yellow or go through it. The point is, with her motor skills being at that level, I'd also recommend handwriting w/o tears or even something like finger writing (shaving cream, paint, rice, etc.)
March 25th, 2010, 07:25 PM
THanks so much everyone!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search