New here.....

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 22nd, 2010, 05:14 PM
~candyann~'s Avatar Super Mommy
Hello my name is Candace and I am a married 26 year old stay at home mommy of two kids....Dakota,6 and Izabelle almost 1 and a proud member of the May ddc room. My dh and I have been thinking about homeschooling our children for about a year now. Our 6 year old has some learning issues and our local school wants to do nothing but put him on meds ( for a.d.d and a.d.h.d) which dh and I dont want to do and label him special education ( even though we dont think he needs it, just a little extra time and care).
Im not sure of all states but in Pa we have cyber school, that starts in pre-k till 12th grade.

So I guess my questions are.....

How did you decide that homeschooling was right for you and your child?

Do you homeschool all your children?

What do you do for your childs social life?

Did you have any fears about starting homeschooling?

Any other advie would be wonderful! Thank you ladies for all your help and time!

March 22nd, 2010, 05:31 PM
BensMom's Avatar Ephesians 4:29
WELCOME!! My hubby's walking in the door for dinner right now. I'll be back later tonight...........
March 22nd, 2010, 08:08 PM
Regular
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~candyann~ View Post
Hello my name is Candace and I am a married 26 year old stay at home mommy of two kids....Dakota,6 and Izabelle almost 1 and a proud member of the May ddc room. My dh and I have been thinking about homeschooling our children for about a year now. Our 6 year old has some learning issues and our local school wants to do nothing but put him on meds ( for a.d.d and a.d.h.d) which dh and I dont want to do and label him special education ( even though we dont think he needs it, just a little extra time and care).
Im not sure of all states but in Pa we have cyber school, that starts in pre-k till 12th grade.

So I guess my questions are.....

How did you decide that homeschooling was right for you and your child?

I have had not nice feelings about the government and public schools since long before I had children of school age. I suppose I started reading about homeschooling 2 or 3 years before my oldest child was in Kindergarten. The first book I read was Homeschooling for Dummies which I bought used at Half Price Books. I imagine that book listed many of the benefits of homeschooling and many of the different methods. That's all it took and I was sold.

Do you homeschool all your children?

Yes. I have three boys in preschool, kindergarten and 2nd grade.

What do you do for your childs social life?

Our children do go to classes with other homeschoolers once/week. However, I would not consider that, or any school setting (including public school) a social life. I started a group on meetup.com to improve the social lives of my children and myself.

Did you have any fears about starting homeschooling?

Sure! I still do! I don't imagine those will go away completely until my children are graduated and off to college. Then I'll have a whole new set of fears. I try to remember that no matter what I mess up, they are still getting a way better education than they would in public school. At this point, that is something that I'm sure of.

Any other advie would be wonderful! Thank you ladies for all your help and time!

I recently came across this article on homeschooling as alternative to meds for children with add/adhd. Honestly, I didn't read the whole thing, so sorry if it's not awesome.
March 22nd, 2010, 08:58 PM
BensMom's Avatar Ephesians 4:29
Sorry about that... I'm back.

How did you decide that homeschooling was right for you and your child? It had always been in the back of my mind. I'm a former teacher, and I've never really been impressed with PS. What finally settled it in my mind was the lack of cooperation. My son is on an accelerated path, and they're unwilling to work with him on it at ALL. Actually, I talked to the school district today about something unrelated. The acceleration issue came up again, and I was told no if's, and's, or but's, they won't make any accomodations for him whatsoever. Even with the positive precidents set by Iowa and Washington state. Even with test scores. Nothing. They said he'd have to wait another 1.5 years to start kindergarten, and then he could be placed in the TAG program for 1st, but that the TAG program also wouldn't do much for him (their words, not mine). In 1.5 years, he'll be ready for 4th grade as a homeschooler. Sheesh.

Do you homeschool all your children? Yes. I also have a 16 month old who is learning through play, but will also be formally homeschooled when he's ready.

What do you do for your childs social life? By "social life" I assume you mean age peers? We're in a couple of homeschool groups (one is specifically for his age group, and the other is for 0-18). We're also members of a church, so he has a lot of friends there. We get together for park days, Bible studies, etc. When he's older, he'll be in other groups (like, he can't start Cub Scouts until he's 5).

Did you have any fears about starting homeschooling? For a brief moment, I worried about teaching higher level math, but not anymore. I also had several brain explosions when figuring out which curricula I liked. LOL!! Thought I'd never settle for anything.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search