Does anyone use Singapore math?

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 26th, 2010, 08:30 PM
brandimomof2's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
What do you think of it? I thought I had math choices narrowed down but now there may be a new option. Wanted to get opinions. Thanks

March 26th, 2010, 08:35 PM
BensMom's Avatar Ephesians 4:29
I think justakrazymom is using it. I got a hands-on look at it one day at Mardels and decided it wasn't for me. A lot of people like it, though. It's a good curriculum. Not Ben's style.
March 26th, 2010, 08:48 PM
AmAnDaMo's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
It's perfect for my little one who loves math and wants to truly understand it, but it wouldn't be for my oldest who just wants to get the answer quickly and be done with it. It's a solid program with a focus on mental math. I've heard people say there isn't enough review and it moves too quickly, but we haven't found that to be the case. While there are programs out there that are weak when it comes to application of the concepts and things like graphs, charts, etc. Singapore doesn't have that issue.

I'd definitely recommend taking the placements tests, though, as the program is at least a half year+ ahead of many others.

March 26th, 2010, 08:57 PM
Super Mommy
We love Singapore math it seems to give enough problems in the workbook for him to understand the concept but not to many that he is doing the same thing over and over again. We got the text book and it became to long on one topic and he hated it. He really likes the graphics in the workbook. So we now only use the workbooks and he gets through about 2 years worth of books a year. We use the primary standard edition not the US edition. My only suggestion would be if you have to test get a quick review math for there grade because Singapore math does it things in different order then state math programs. We also have to cover US measurements on our own be of not using the US edition. My biggest problem is what next after primary 6b because the books become a lot older looking after primary 6b. We've used several programs and I like this one the best it was the only one that worked for him and the cost isn't outrageous.
March 28th, 2010, 04:48 PM
Regular
I have one level of it (1b) sitting on the shelf. I personally really like the activities is recommends, but I do not like the format of the Home Instructor's Guide. I prefer daily lessons, which I can skip if they're unnecessary. The HIG will give a few activities and then say something like "continue practicing this until it's mastered." It's just not open-and-go enough for me. Maybe if it were a different subject I would be okay with the format of the HIG, but not in math (for me). If you're ok with a less open-and-go math curriculum, I would say Singapore is awesome, but if you need more daily structure look at something else.
April 6th, 2010, 06:39 AM
grunig's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to grunig Send a message via Yahoo to grunig
We use it and love it. Switched from MUS this year and the kids are thriving.

Mom to Talen, Trent, and Thorne

<a href="http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/waAmfrF/" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">

</a>
April 7th, 2010, 01:21 PM
in_mommy's Avatar I am just me
I do not use it, choose to go with Math Mammoth instead.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search