questions

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 27th, 2010, 06:56 PM
proudmom3's Avatar Wait for it....
Send a message via Yahoo to proudmom3
I do not home school my DD (6y) she is in K but reads at a 3rd grade level and soars in math. She has mastered addiction and subtraction... And i feel she is ready to move on to multiplication. How should I introduce this to her? Or do you think it is to early? Would it confuse her??

TIA!!

Jessica: 18
Jordan: 11
Shaelyn: 7
Drake: 3

MeMe to Caleb: 23mos

TS to Lynsey: 9
March 27th, 2010, 07:22 PM
Mega Super Mommy
First I would teach her to skip count (I think the common order is to learn to count by 2's, 5's, and 10's-- these are often taught in K or 1st grade, then 3's, and 4's, and then finally 6's, 7's, 8's, and 9's), and then show her how a group of two and another group of two is four, which is two groups of two. Then add another group of twos, making it three groups of two, etc. I don't think it is too early if you feel she is ready for the concept. DH and I taught our niece how to multiply by 2's when she was in K, and had her multiplying by 5's and 10's (with guidance) by half way through 1st grade, hehe. She's in 2nd grade now and is the only one in her class that even understands the concept of multiplication!
March 27th, 2010, 07:37 PM
BensMom's Avatar Ephesians 4:29
It's definitely not too early. I agree that skip-counting is the way to go. Actually, I LOVE how Kumon teaches multiplication. If you want a workbook to guide you, and multiplication is the only thing you're really wanting to teach, Kumon is the way to go, IMO. The first book teaches 1-5 and the second teaches 6-10. It says it's for ages 6-8 on the books, but Amazon lists them as ages 4-8 on one and 9-12 on the other. Some 4 year olds are ready for skip counting and some aren't. Some 12 year olds are ready for it and some aren't. I really wish they wouldn't list grades and ages on workbooks in a way that children can see them.

Amazon.com: My Book of Simple Multiplication (Kumon Workbooks) (9781933241418): Kumon Publishing, Eno Sarris and Masaaki Aihara: Books
Amazon.com: My Book of Multiplication: Ages 6 - 7 - 8 (Kumon Workbooks) (9781934968109): Eno Sarris: Books

OH! Another thing... if she's more of a visual or hands-on type of learner, skip counting might not work. Skip counting works for most kids, but some have to actually see what a number looks like. In that case, get something like blocks, M&Ms, or whatever, and lay them out by rows and columns ... for example, 3 rows of 9 looks much larger than 3 rows of 2. She can quickly see that 27 is much larger than 6.
March 28th, 2010, 06:34 PM
proudmom3's Avatar Wait for it....
Send a message via Yahoo to proudmom3
Thank you so much ladies for your response. She has already mastered "skip counting" I am super excited to begin multiplication with her, and she is eager too. She tells me that adding and subtracting is super boring. HAHA!

I will deff check out the books you recommended Chrystal!

Jessica: 18
Jordan: 11
Shaelyn: 7
Drake: 3

MeMe to Caleb: 23mos

TS to Lynsey: 9

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search