new here

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 29th, 2010, 07:08 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to countryjewelsc
Hi ladies! I was hoping i could get some good advice from this board. I know i'm starting VERY early, as my son is only 5 months old, but i am considering homeschooling since i an not exactly fond of the public school system where we live (and can't afford private school).

my biggest questions: do i need any kind of degree to home school my child/children (we plan on having 1-2 more)? and what kind of testing or certification would i need to have?

like i said, i know i'm starting very early, but i would like to research all my options and have a good understanding before the time comes for me to make a decision.

thanks in advance!!!

www.facebook.com/babylovecustoms, specializing in custom embroidery for children.

Make a pregnancy ticker
March 29th, 2010, 08:14 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Mississippi is an incredibly easy state to homeschool in. A link to the laws: http://www.hslda.org/laws/analysis/mississippi.pdf

You don't need any sort of certification to homeschool there, and you also do not have to complete any standardized testing with your children. Compulsory attendance age starts at 6yrs old.
March 29th, 2010, 08:26 AM
Platinum Supermommy
thank you so much for this information!

now, to get DH on board, lol

www.facebook.com/babylovecustoms, specializing in custom embroidery for children.

Make a pregnancy ticker
March 29th, 2010, 08:35 AM
KeriMomof2's Avatar Veteran
WELCOME!!!!
Here is a good site to start HSLDA
*Keri*I am a Co-sleeping ...Retired-EBF'er "8+years total"...No-circumcision... Non-Vaxing...Home-schooling/Road-schooling ~> College Student Momma, Who loves Blogging<~click to View O' and did I mention I am now a Avon Sales Rep ? www.youravon.com/Keri
March 29th, 2010, 08:36 AM
BensMom's Avatar Ephesians 4:29
Stick around! We have others here who haven't started HS'ing yet either. Let us know if you have any other questions.
March 29th, 2010, 09:26 PM
in_mommy's Avatar I am just me
Welcome to the board!
March 29th, 2010, 11:20 PM
Super Mommy
Hi welcome!!
March 30th, 2010, 09:21 AM
Sandra314's Avatar Homeschooling Mom
Send a message via Yahoo to Sandra314

It is never to early to begin considering homeschooling and research it.
We looked into homeschooling and researched it after the birth of our first son who was born a preemie and later, a chld with special needs.
I was lucky to have an older sister who had been homeschooling her children since I was a teenager. She was a big influence on me with regards to homeschooling.

I am glad that we chose to homeschool and continue after the birth of of our second son. It is been a rewarding experience for us as a family.

Married for 14+ years to the love of my life. Currently TTCing.
March 31st, 2010, 11:28 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Thank you for the warm welcome ladies! I plan on sticking around here. My cousin homeschools all 3 of her children, ages 10, 8, and 6. I haven't talked to her yet, but will soon.

I do have another question...since DH isn't very keen on this idea yet, do any of you know of a site I can get statistics and info on the benefits of homeschooling?

Make a pregnancy ticker
April 1st, 2010, 07:44 PM
BensMom's Avatar Ephesians 4:29
Sorry it took so long to get back to you. Let's Homeschool - Free Homeschool Curriculum Resources is a good site for general information. There are statistics, pros/cons, comparisons, articles, sample curricula, etc. Some others are:

http://www.hslda.org/docs/study/comp...chievement.pdf
American Homeschool Statistics
Statistics on Homeschooling in the United States - LoveToKnow Home School (this one has a slide show of myths as well... click on the flag)

Here's a blog post you'll find interesting as well (and look toward the bottom on the left for MS resources): The Homeschool Cafe

Last edited by BensMom; April 1st, 2010 at 07:46 PM.
April 4th, 2010, 07:03 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Thank you SOOO much! I'm posting only from my phone right now, but will take a look at all the links very soon!

Make a pregnancy ticker

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search