What do you do when you have to time off schoolwork?

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 29th, 2010, 07:49 AM
broxi3781's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Do you try to catch up at weekends or just leave it? What if you feel the child learns something from the reason for time off? For instance, we spent today in the vets office, and we'll be doing some catch up this afternoon, but of course he has learned about animal Dr.'s which we discussed before going etc...
A couple of weeks ago we had our kitchen completely gutted and refitted,as well as re wiring done through out the house. It was hard to get alot of work done with all the distractions, but he was very interested in watching the workmen, and how everything worked. If his dad is doing any kind of repairs, I let him take time out to "help".
How does everyone else handle things like this?
Also how about holidays? I refuse to bring schoolwork on the childs holiday, and we always going during school term to avoid crowds etc... I refuse to bring schoolwork on his holiday, but I also think they learn by travel. We also do things like visit a farm park, historical sites, and may go to a viking exhibit.
Do you take school work when you travel, or not? ( we do take stories of course but for bedtime, not work)
March 29th, 2010, 08:17 AM
Mega Super Mommy
When my I was school age, we didn't take school work on holidays with us, we just kept going when we got home. We took 6 months (yes, I said months, lol) off while our house was being renovated, and continued on after that break. We didn't always do school work if we had a number of appointments or whatever, or sometimes we would take along a subject to work on if it was going to most likely be a long wait. A lot of learning takes place without school books, and a lot of interests are sparked by things that don't involve books, so not worrying about 'keeping up with school' when life happens is the best way, at least imo.
March 29th, 2010, 08:38 AM
BensMom's Avatar Ephesians 4:29
We go with the flow. When I know something is coming up ... no matter what it is ... I don't schedule to do any work that day. When unexpected things take us away, we either make up the essential part later and skip the rest, or we'll shift the calendar. Everything is a learning opportunity, so I don't feel like the time is necessarily wasted.
March 29th, 2010, 11:43 AM
Super Mommy
We only do work when we aren't doing other things.
March 29th, 2010, 09:25 PM
in_mommy's Avatar I am just me
I would count some of that travel time as educational. Its not like your not doing anything educational, like you said with places that you will visit. Learning about the different states or areas of the state that you are going to. Some things you either do on a weekend, make up another day, or just shift your end of the school year date back a bit.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search