Phonics suggestions

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 29th, 2010, 07:25 PM
mommytutu's Avatar mom to Emma & Jacqueline
For the past three months we have been using Progressive Phonics. DD has done well with it but lately she has become bored with the program and she protests if that is what is on the schedule for the day...

So... I'm on the hunt for a new phonics program. Maybe something a little more hands on? I'm off to google it now because I'm not even sure what other programs are out there, but I would appreciate any suggestions, or a point in the right direction.

March 29th, 2010, 08:31 PM
Regular
I have yet to hear of a child enjoying phonics (that's not to say it never happens, but I think it's rare, or a whole lot of coincidence has gone into my exposure to conversations about children's feelings about phonics), but for something hands on, you could check out reading rods.
March 29th, 2010, 09:18 PM
in_mommy's Avatar I am just me
The only thing that pops into my mind quickly would be doing ETC online, that would be a bit of a change up from doing it by a book or work book.
March 29th, 2010, 09:34 PM
BensMom's Avatar Ephesians 4:29
LOL... I have that weird child who always begged for phonics.

Ben liked Explode the Code (workbooks, not online). You can also use starfall.com if you want, but I don't consider it a full curriculum. Some people like Bob books and Hooked on Phonics. Ben didn't like Bob Books, and we haven't tried HoP, so I can't comment on that one. You can also try Brightly Beaming Resources, but you'll have to build your own curriculum. It's just a suggestion outline mainly.
March 30th, 2010, 09:44 AM
Emma was enjoying Progressive Phonics at first, but I think that because it is so repetitive that she is just sick of it.

I will look into all the suggestions, thanks!

(and just to throw it out there, my favorite subject in early elementry was phonics, lol!)

March 30th, 2010, 10:22 AM
BensMom's Avatar Ephesians 4:29
Speaking of hands-on ... what about "All About Spelling"? It's one that uses more hands-on than writing, BUT it's expensive, and it has more teacher prep work than others out there. I like the idea of teaching spelling and reading at the same time. I can't even count the number of times I've been trying to tell Ben something and had to spell the word out on a white board so he'd understand what I was saying. That's especially true for words like our/are, bear/bare, right/write, etc.
March 30th, 2010, 10:42 AM
I really like All About Spelling, and I agree with you that it would probably be very helpful to teach spelling and reading together.

I don't think we are ready for it just yet, though. I'm definitely book marking it for the future though.

March 30th, 2010, 11:01 AM
I think we are going to give Explode the Code a try!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search