Homeschooling in VA?

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 30th, 2010, 11:39 AM
blessdmommy's Avatar Happy mama to 3!
Send a message via AIM to blessdmommy
Hey ladies! I'm new to the homeschooling board and had some questions....
We have a 2 yr old (he'll be 2 on Saturday) & a 3 month old. I have been looking at preschools in the area and we just can't afford it. Idealy I'd be able to homeschool all of our children through high school. DH and I both do not favor the public school system...can't afford private school.

How can I get my toddler on the right start? Learning colors, shapes, numbers ect ect? Do they have curriculum for this age? Craft kits or something? I dunno. lol

What about living in VA...do I have to do anything special to let the state know I'm schooling my children?

Mama to 3, expecting #4 in December!

March 30th, 2010, 03:00 PM
Amaranth Dhanya's Avatar aka Hillarie
Send a message via Yahoo to Amaranth Dhanya
www.hslda.org should give you all the "laws"concerning your state as far as how it works to homeschool your kiddos.

At their ages Id use flashcards and little books...but thats me. I wouldnt do a curriculum or anything strict just those types of simple things that will catch and keep their attention for a few minutes.

Also with my kiddos...when they would play Id point out shapes and colors and how many there were to them. So if they were playing with 4 green blocks Id say something like "ohhhhh you have 4 green blocks" so they had that detail and we went from there. Seemed to help them pick it up quicker(at least with my oldest and youngest).

Good Luck and Have Fun!!!

~My thanks to *Kiliki* for the siggy and Lucy S for the blinkies~
March 30th, 2010, 03:10 PM
esparando para bebé's Avatar Proud Car Seat Technician
Send a message via AIM to esparando para bebé Send a message via Yahoo to esparando para bebé
I actually just looked it up yesterday. All you have to do in VA is send a letter to your super-intendant stating that you will be homeschooling and what subjects you will teach. (This can be as simple as I am going to homeschool (child's name). We will be basing instruction on Virginia's SOL's.)

Thanks to Jaidynsmum for my siggy!
Proud former foster parent to a teen. Waiting on our next call. Proud Aunt to 22.
Proud mommy to 7 angels. Survivor of 4 failed adoptions (5 kids)
March 30th, 2010, 04:16 PM
Mega Super Mommy
They do want something a little more indepth than "we'll be basing it on the VA SOL's", but it's really quite easy to homeschool here. The very simplest method is to have a high school diploma (there are other ways to do your NOI, but if you have a hs diploma that's just the simplest), then you just give them your NOI, diploma, and a brief description of your program for the year, and they're generally more than happy to let you go to it. They want to know a general idea of what curriculum/books/methods you plan to utilize in order to meet the SOL's. However, you only have to tell them what you plan for mathematics and language arts, and you only need to prove progress in those two areas as well. Everything else they basically don't care about.
March 30th, 2010, 04:57 PM
blessdmommy's Avatar Happy mama to 3!
Send a message via AIM to blessdmommy
Thanks ladies! I really appreciate all your help! I'm looking forward to embarking on the adventure that is mother/school teacher.

Mama to 3, expecting #4 in December!

March 30th, 2010, 07:38 PM
BensMom's Avatar Ephesians 4:29
Sorry I wasn't around earlier today. Welcome!

Yes, there are preschool curricula out there that you can order, but it's really not necessary unless you're looking for something structured, planned out for you, etc. You can find all sorts of free stuff online. Some that I've always liked are Starfall, Enchanted Learning, Poisson Rouge (this one is in French or English), Sing Along Songs, JumpStart, and Letter of the Week. If you want craft ideas, look into Kumon workbooks or just google "preschool craft ideas" or something like that. There's a LOT out there.

Last edited by BensMom; March 30th, 2010 at 07:45 PM.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search