Is noeo science enough?

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 31st, 2010, 09:44 AM
Super Mommy
My son love reading and science He tends to get through everything I plan for the year in the 1st 2-4 months. If he loves it he'll want to do it all day. If he hates it we wont get through it no matter how hard I try. Is one year of noeo science enough or would I have to buy two years.
March 31st, 2010, 11:13 AM
BensMom's Avatar Ephesians 4:29
Here's my two cents... take it or leave it. I'd buy two years. The reason is that if he wants to do it, it's there. If he can't get through it in a year, at least you've got it with plenty of time to plan for the following year. I have a few things I've bought like that and didn't use right away, and I have a few I wish I'd bought like that and kept having to play catch-up.
March 31st, 2010, 04:18 PM
Regular
Another idea is to buy one year but supplement with lots of books from the library. We are doing level one biology. For the book we're currently reading, he reads just two pages/day, then does a notebooking sheet on it. He *could* read much more, and might even enjoy that, but he wouldn't want to do that much notebooking in one day, and *I* would like him to do at least as much notebooking per book as is prescribed by the curriculum. If he wants to read more on the subject, we have plenty of other books on the subject or we can go to the library.
March 31st, 2010, 06:37 PM
in_mommy's Avatar I am just me
Hmm, I think both responses were good, I know that doesn't help you much though huh. I guess then I would say it would depend on if you could afford to do both or not.
April 1st, 2010, 08:25 AM
Mega Super Mommy
How about just spacing it out and taking a break in between themes. So say it starts off with studying plants, let him go plant crazy- reading, learning as much as he wants, as quickly as he wants - but once the section about plants (or whatever) is done, then put the curriculum away for a few weeks. Then take it out again and do the next unit of study the same way. Maybe that way you could make it last a full year.

SciGuy,14 Butterfly Girl,12 Wyldchild,7 FlowerFairy,5 and Babybird,3

and RK, 13, exchange student from Japan

My Homeschooling Blog:
April 1st, 2010, 07:47 PM
Super Mommy
I think we are going topic by topic and try to expand it with books and field trips until it's time for the next topic.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search