Grammar

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 1st, 2010, 11:12 AM
in_mommy's Avatar I am just me
Do you think Shurley Grammar will work without using the jingles? Whit hates that sort of thing and I would rather not go with something that I know she wont like to begin with. I see all the reviews of Shurley and see how everyone raves on and on about it. We are currently using FLL and I really like it, but for her it moves way too slow and it gets boring for her. We have skipped so much through it, but I would rather not do that and just find something that will hold her interest.
What about Easy Grammar? That is one that looks interesting to me.

Last edited by in_mommy; April 1st, 2010 at 11:49 AM.
April 1st, 2010, 02:42 PM
frgsonmysox's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to frgsonmysox Send a message via MSN to frgsonmysox Send a message via Yahoo to frgsonmysox
When do you start teaching Grammar? I was curious. We plan to teach the basic definitions of words to Anthony this year - like what a noun is and such, but I'm not really planning to get too heavy in it. I have to say, grammar is a bad subject for me. I moved a lot as a child, and somehow missed the grammar lessons, so even as an adult it's difficult for me.
~Beth~ Wife to my Airman Chris, and mommy to: Anthony Nathaniel (8/31/04), Anastasia Fae (8/01/06), Baby C (lost on 10/12/07), David Cillian (7/31/08), Charles George (4/29/10), and Alan Christopher (2/22/12)

My BLOG - A Day In The Life of a Freg (it's a little bit of everything!)
April 1st, 2010, 07:02 PM
BensMom's Avatar Ephesians 4:29
I've heard good things about Shurley, too, but I honestly have no idea. I've never seen it. I love, love, love Rod & Staff, so that's what we're going with. I've always loved grammar. Actually, I won 1st place in a state contest for grammar when I was 13. I loved it even then.
April 1st, 2010, 07:13 PM
Regular
When do you start teaching grammar? Gee, I don't remember learning any grammar until high school, and that was pretty minimal (though I've heard very different things from people who went to public schools in other states).

A lot of classical homeschoolers start grammar right away in first grade (probably some in K). I'm sure there are a lot of people who wait awhile on it.

I guess my point with saying I didn't learn much grammar in my public school education was that, though I start grammar at first grade with my children, not having really been taught grammar myself until... junior year of college?... didn't affect me much at all, so if you decide to wait awhile, rest assured, it's fine. There's no particular year in which you have to teach certain things.

Just off the top of my head things I've seen being taught as grammar (including usage and mechanics) in first grade books were

nouns, verbs, adjectives, subjects, periods, question marks, exclamation points, SOME comma rules, subjects, proper nouns, capitalization

So, nothing too big, not even all the parts of speech.

Now, about Easy Grammar, we have that and it's... a workbook. It's fine, but I'll be looking at other options. One I really DO like (and so does my oldest son) is Grammar with a Giggle. The only thing I don't like about it is to use it as a stand alone program it would require more parent planning and just be more time intensive than I would like, so I use it as a supplement.

I have never used Shurley Grammar. I hadn't heard that it has jingles. Now I'm very interested....
April 1st, 2010, 07:51 PM
I'm surprised you didn't have grammar right from the start. I remember starting it in 1st grade. Maybe that's why I liked it so much? I don't know.
April 2nd, 2010, 07:03 AM
Mega Super Mommy
We have used Shurley. I think the jingles are important to the program. It's how they learn all the rules and they are quizzed on the jingles frequently. It's a thorough program, but didn't work for us. The jingles are really annoying (imho) so if your child doesn't like that kind of thing, you should find a different program. We moved on to a different program after a year. There are better ones out there!

SciGuy,14 Butterfly Girl,12 Wyldchild,7 FlowerFairy,5 and Babybird,3

and RK, 13, exchange student from Japan

My Homeschooling Blog:
April 2nd, 2010, 07:27 AM
Regular
Quote:
Originally Posted by BensMom View Post
I'm surprised you didn't have grammar right from the start. I remember starting it in 1st grade. Maybe that's why I liked it so much? I don't know.
I'm sure I learned what nouns and proper nouns are for the sake of capitalization rules. I imagine they touched on SOME of the other parts of speech, but not all of them, and not often enough to really teach it. Basically, I'm sure they mentioned adjectives once or twice in elementary school to raise awareness, but not to really teach it or help us retain it. It wasn't taught at all in middle school. It was only taught in foreign language classes in high school (at least with regards to the classes in which I was enrolled. I had a friend do more with grammar in one of her classes.)

I don't think learning something early necessarily makes someone like it. Grammar is one of my favorite subjects (got my masters in linguistics) even though I didn't study it rigorously until college. Math, obviously learned from kindergarten on, is one of my least favorite subjects. It can go the other way too. Writing is one of my favorite subjects, and that's something I've been doing since elementary school. I see no correlation, at least when it comes to myself.

I like grammar because it's useful (to me) and rule governed.
April 2nd, 2010, 07:34 AM
Yeah, you're probably right. I also like things with specific rules. I like order. I like math to an extent, but it's certainly not my favorite.
April 7th, 2010, 01:13 PM
in_mommy's Avatar I am just me
Quote:
Originally Posted by frgsonmysox View Post
When do you start teaching Grammar? I was curious. We plan to teach the basic definitions of words to Anthony this year - like what a noun is and such, but I'm not really planning to get too heavy in it. I have to say, grammar is a bad subject for me. I moved a lot as a child, and somehow missed the grammar lessons, so even as an adult it's difficult for me.
Well, Matthew is doing stuff now and he is in K. He had a worksheet to do today on pronouns. I am not a huge grammar fun either, as I am sure everyone can tell. Since he seems to know so much about all the basic parts, I think he is more than ready to do the Easy Grammar program next year with Whit. I think I would rather get them through this and be done with it and just have refreshers, over teaching it over and over again. IMO, grammar rules do not change, so why beat it with a stick. Teach it and move on. I think refreshing them on it great, but I don't see why you need to keep going with it.

crstarlette - Do you need to use the student workbook with Easy Grammar or could you get by with just using the teacher manual? I may really leaning to the Easy Grammar and if need be, then I can supplement as well.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search