how far ahead do you lesson plan?

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 1st, 2010, 02:40 PM
frgsonmysox's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to frgsonmysox Send a message via MSN to frgsonmysox Send a message via Yahoo to frgsonmysox
I'm nesting, hardcore, so I've planned 10 weeks so far of lessons. Chris thinks this is too much, but I'm thinking I might plan a few more weeks... am I crazy? I should also say, that we are planning to start May 31st and take weeks off when we feel like it. I'm a huge fan of year round school, and Anthony gets out in mid-May.
~Beth~ Wife to my Airman Chris, and mommy to: Anthony Nathaniel (8/31/04), Anastasia Fae (8/01/06), Baby C (lost on 10/12/07), David Cillian (7/31/08), Charles George (4/29/10), and Alan Christopher (2/22/12)

My BLOG - A Day In The Life of a Freg (it's a little bit of everything!)
April 1st, 2010, 04:28 PM
BensMom's Avatar Ephesians 4:29
I plan about 18 mos in advance. Really.
April 1st, 2010, 06:18 PM
Super Mommy
We buy about 2 years and just go section by section until it is done.
April 1st, 2010, 07:26 PM
Regular
Now that I've started relying on curricula more, I find it unnecessary to plan much at all. That's what the curricula are for; they already have everything all laid out in order for me.
April 2nd, 2010, 07:21 AM
Send a message via AIM to frgsonmysox Send a message via MSN to frgsonmysox Send a message via Yahoo to frgsonmysox
Quote:
Originally Posted by BensMom View Post
I plan about 18 mos in advance. Really.

Whew, you just made me feel a ton better! Thanks!
~Beth~ Wife to my Airman Chris, and mommy to: Anthony Nathaniel (8/31/04), Anastasia Fae (8/01/06), Baby C (lost on 10/12/07), David Cillian (7/31/08), Charles George (4/29/10), and Alan Christopher (2/22/12)

April 2nd, 2010, 07:31 AM
I'm a little bit OCD when it comes to prepping things. I've always been that way... even as a kid. I guess it comes from having a family full of teachers.
April 2nd, 2010, 02:20 PM
therevslady's Avatar Built for Birth
I have a few large subject notebooks that map out our "year". I'm constantly finding things and adding it to these books. Each week, I go through and pull out stuff for us to get done that week.

And I have a bunch of projects ready to go in a large box, and we try to do some sort of large "project" every couple of weeks. And I'm always adding stuff to that box too.

I like to have my stuff just ready to go so that I don't have to plan very much and it gives us a chance to improvise. Ie: have stuff in the box ready to make a kite on an awesome windy day.

April 2nd, 2010, 04:27 PM
Mega Super Mommy
LOL... well, I'm not even schooling and already have an *idea* of what is planned for each 'day' of kindergarten... So I guess I plan 4-5 years ahead?!
April 2nd, 2010, 05:15 PM
I'm REALLY OCD too, and I have to have order. With the baby being due here in a few weeks I'm trying to get everything as squared away as possible, so it really makes me feel better that you guys plan similar to me.

April 2nd, 2010, 07:49 PM
Sandra314's Avatar Homeschooling Mom
Send a message via Yahoo to Sandra314
I have an an idea of what theme units we will cover during the month so that I can work on our book lists and Nature Studies that will tie into lessons.

I don't plan ahead that far in advance. I plan about a week ahead and that's about it or sometimes day by day depending on what is going in the household (with medical appts and so forth).

Married for 14+ years to the love of my life. Currently TTCing.
April 2nd, 2010, 09:30 PM
I'm the type who also enjoys cooking for 3 hours on a Saturday to fill the freezer for a month. Why spend countless hours in the kitchen day after day when you could do it all at once and get it over with?
April 4th, 2010, 08:52 AM
broxi3781's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I dont plan too far in advance. I do buy books etc in advance, but we take things as they come. If he suddenly takes an interest in something, I'll try to work that in.
If we get really good weather we try to do more outdoor things. If he finds something to easy we may skim over it, if its difficult we may put it aside for later, or spend more time on it, and will still return to review it at some point. We are basically very flexible.
April 4th, 2010, 01:16 PM
dalynnrmc's Avatar pronounced (day-lynn)
Lesson plan? Who does lesson plans? LOL

No, I'm pretty OCD and need a schedule. My oldest son uses a curricula that pretty much has it laid out already. My youngers... well, we haven't done much traditional schooling with them yet. Not sure if I'll make a plan or not - my 6yo (almost 7) doesn't really do well with a schedule, so it will have to be loose and not a checklist like I've used with my oldest. New plan for a new kid, and I'm still getting used to it.

I used to do a month or two worth of lessons, until I discovered that we tend to veer one way or another when it comes to school work. Sometimes we do the whole week's worth of lessons in a day (for one subject I mean), and sometimes we substitute some life learning, and sometimes... you see my point. So I quit stressing myself with trying to follow a schedule and now just try and roll better with the flow. I need the basic outline, but the schedules stress me BECAUSE of my "ocd-ness" and the fact that I can't and won't follow the schedule to a tee.

Much thanks to Alethia for my beautiful siggie and tags!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search