What does your lesson plan look like?

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 6th, 2010, 06:01 PM
TaraJo29's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I am just curious about what everyone's lesson plans look like, and I bet it would help some of us lurkers and newbs who aren't confident about our "plans" to see what everyone else is doing on a given day.

Here's mine for tomorrow...

Grade: 1

Plan:

A page in Horizons Penmanship
A couple pages in Explode The Code, book 4 (we are ahead & it's getting harder so we don't do a whole lesson)
1 page in MCP Math book A
Read a few pages in our Usborne Children's Encyclopedia (History section right now)
Read some of our current novel (A Grain of Rice)
Practice reading Green Eggs & Ham
Do some Dino Kit (digging up dino bones with chisel, brush, etc. So cute & they love it)
Maybe watch a video on archeology if I can find one on Netflix.
April 6th, 2010, 07:47 PM
BensMom's Avatar Ephesians 4:29
We're on a break this week (because everything we own is in a box. ), but I can tell you what a typical week looks like. I plan by week rather than by day. Also, he's 4 and finishing up 1st grade (some stuff is 2nd).

First, I write M/T/W/T/F down the left side of a page. Down the right side, I write what's going on each day so that I'll know how much time is leftover for school. (Life comes first... school happens anytime.) Then, at the very least, we'll do reading, writing, math, and Bible each day, so I write RWMB on each day. Reading is one page of Reading Comprehension in Varied Subject Matter, writing is one page of Handwriting w/o Tears. Math is some combination of several pages from Rod & Staff and Abeka (I cross out most of it, so it ends up being the equivelent of one front/back page). Bible for now is a story per week using mostly "Rainbow Lessons" by Jane Britnell as my guide. I make a "storybook" each week by folding two pieces of construction paper in half, stapling down the side, and writing/drawing the story for him to read. When we finish the series in December, we'll start a 4 year series here using a lesson per week: Bible Class Curriculum for Elementary, Middle School, Home Schools .

Next, I put social studies, science, art, and music into the calendar based on what's going on that week. Social studies is easy and takes about 5 minutes to complete, so it can go on any day, but I prefer to put it on a day we're not doing anything, because we sometimes take a tangent and spend a lot of time on it. Science ALWAYS gets at least one full day to itself. I like to try to do a little over 2-3 days, but at least one day with breaks. For us, science takes about the same time as the other subjects combined. Music takes 5 minutes if we do it at all. It can go on any day. Art is something we usually do every day. If it's something easy like Kumon drawing, I'll throw it on the end of a busy day because he can do it himself. If it's something that requires paint, etc., I put it on an easy day so we have plenty of time for clean up and stuff.

Extra stuff... the "dessert" as Ben calls it:

Ben love, love, loves doing "extra" stuff like mazes, logic workbooks, thinking skill games, and stuff like that. He usually has at least 2 workbook pages of this per day... sometimes he'll have as many as 10 a day. They take him no time to do, and he can do them anytime he wants to, but only AFTER everything else is finished.

Reading books is like playing with toys. He'd do it all day if I'd let him. It's not part of our curriculum. It's just something extra he enjoys.

Long story short...

A typical day for us is reading, writing, math, bible, and one other subject, and it usually takes us 30 minutes on average. Math is his least favorite subject, so sometimes it's like pulling teeth to do that. Days that we do science are longer, but we have a break between the other subjects and science. Total is probably an hour on science days.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search