Why does MUS have to be so darn expensive?!

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 12th, 2010, 10:40 PM
BensMom's Avatar Ephesians 4:29
I was *this* close to putting it on my list for next year until I saw how much it would really cost with the manipulatives, teacher edition, student edition AND getting both alpha & beta because this is a totally different concept than the way I've been teaching it. We'd have to go through both (at a faster pace) to really use it.

If you're using MUS, tell me about it... is it consumable? Is anything reusable (manipulatives are, of course)? Is it something you typically find at used sales? (We have a bunch coming up in this area.)
April 12th, 2010, 11:34 PM
Super Mommy
If you copy the pages or have the child write it in there own math note book it is re-usable. I would just get the first level to see if you like the method. Miguel could not stand it.
April 13th, 2010, 06:48 AM
AmAnDaMo's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
There are so many review pages that she has never needed them all. In that way, it would be reusable. We have never opened the teacher's manual (I'm not a big teacher's manual person anyway, but with the DVD, especially in Alpha, it really isn't necessary in my opinion), but unfortunately the teacher's manual and the DVD (which we do use) were sold together. I think someone mentioned a yahoo group run by MUS where you can get materials much cheaper, though, and you may be able to get things separately there.

She really didn't like MUS at first, but we revisited it when we hit a place value road block and now she's all about it again.

April 13th, 2010, 11:05 AM
Like everything... it doesn't teach things in the order that everyone else does. He's equally in need of both Alpha and Beta right now. He's mastered parts of both and needs help with parts of both. I'll have to look around for cheaper prices. Thanks for the heads up about the teacher book. Seems to me that a DVD *should* cover everything, but ya' never know.
April 13th, 2010, 04:45 PM
TaraJo29's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Did you know this thread was featured on the "hot topics" (or something like that) list on the main JM home page? haha I thought that was cool.

[/url]

April 13th, 2010, 05:37 PM
dalynnrmc's Avatar pronounced (day-lynn)
There is a yahoogroup for buying and selling used MUS materials. It's run /moderated by MUS people and talking about other curricula is not allowed. In fact, discussion about MUS is found on a different list, and if discussion happens on the swap list they tell you to take it to the other one. LOL

You just have to keep your eyes open for a good deal!

We do Alpha orally. And there really are enough pages that it could be used for a second student, or use plastic sheets and vis-a-vis markers to make it reusable. Yes, at this level you probably don't need the tm, but chances of finding the DVD *without* the manual are probably slim. Worth checking out the yahoogroup though!

And chances that you'll find a good deal for the whole Alpha set plus manipulatives are high. Beta would be separate, and I would totally wait until you were done with Alpha to move on. Yes, he might need both, but it just means you breeze through what he already knows and park it on what he doesn't. You might move through Alpha twice as fast, but it might be worth the wait. Plus I bet there's a little more in there than you bargained for!

Much thanks to Alethia for my beautiful siggie and tags!!
April 13th, 2010, 05:44 PM
BTW, let me know if you guys find someplace online where we can get MUS the cheapest, because I definitely want to try it. Keep in mind, at least on the MUS site, I don't think you can buy the dvd separately even if you wanted to (to avoid buying the teacher's guide in case you don't really need it). They come as a package. Doh!

I am hoping to buy Alpha & Beta, too. On MathUSee.com it would come to $160 for both of them (one set of blocks).

Looks like Amazon doesn't even have it in stock (at least not alpha, which I'm looking for).

I will look around for prices...

[/url]

April 13th, 2010, 05:45 PM
MUS is pretty much only available new through the publisher.

Used is absolutely the way to go. really.

April 13th, 2010, 05:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalynnrmc View Post
There is a I would totally wait until you were done with Alpha to move on. Yes, he might need both, but it just means you breeze through what he already knows and park it on what he doesn't. You might move through Alpha twice as fast, but it might be worth the wait. Plus I bet there's a little more in there than you bargained for!
I second this advice. That's what I did with ETC when I switched to that and although my son knew some of it already, it was great practice and he just flew through it quickly and had a stronger foundation to move on to the higher level books. I think he's MUCH better off for it.

I'm planning to do this with MUS, too, so we are in similar boats. I'm going to buy Alpha and have him do it and fly through it (this summer at the latest) and then just move into Beta in the Fall. Hopefully the backtracking will make next year's math much smoother.

ok, I'm done yapping about MUS for now. lol I'm excited to try it, sorry!

[/url]

April 13th, 2010, 08:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaraJo29 View Post
Did you know this thread was featured on the "hot topics" (or something like that) list on the main JM home page? haha I thought that was cool.
No, I didn't see that! Cool!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaraJo29 View Post
I second this advice. That's what I did with ETC when I switched to that and although my son knew some of it already, it was great practice and he just flew through it quickly and had a stronger foundation to move on to the higher level books. I think he's MUCH better off for it.

I'm planning to do this with MUS, too, so we are in similar boats. I'm going to buy Alpha and have him do it and fly through it (this summer at the latest) and then just move into Beta in the Fall. Hopefully the backtracking will make next year's math much smoother.

ok, I'm done yapping about MUS for now. lol I'm excited to try it, sorry!
This is another worry for me. I had no idea he'd go through all the ETC books in 3 months. If I'd known that, I would've planned ahead and made copies for Daniel, but now I have to buy the whole stinkin' set again later. Dh is going to kill me if I spend as much this year as I did last year, but then again, if MUS gets him over the hump for the things he doesn't know, it's worth it. *ugh* I"ll be so glad when the old house sells so we're not so uptight about money. Two mortgage payments is stressful. I want it sold before Mardel's has their 20% sale in May so I'll know how much I can get.
April 15th, 2010, 05:53 PM
in_mommy's Avatar I am just me
The cost was the big reason why we didn't go with it along with the mixed reviews. I hated the thought of spending that much on something that I didn't think was going to work out. I am very happy with our decision and the math that we choose.
April 17th, 2010, 07:05 PM
Ah, came to check this thread because on my main homeschooling board hangout there is someone who is selling Primer including the teacher manual and dvd, student workbook (1st three lessons done in pencil), and the skip count CD all together for $25.

LOL Too bad it's Alpha and Beta you need! It's out there.

ETA: Another good place to check is the forums at the Well Trained Mind website. Super busy there and it's got a good search function. You can even look at peoples' profile pages and see if they have a bad rep for sales or not. That's usually where I buy my used materials if I can't find them locally!

Last edited by dalynnrmc; April 17th, 2010 at 07:16 PM.
April 17th, 2010, 10:13 PM
AmAnDaMo's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
If you come across a Gamma set at a reasonable price, please let me know. I've been looking with little luck...it seems everyone is looking for Gamma right now.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search