When do you start buying for the next year?

Forum: Homeschooling

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 17th, 2010, 07:54 AM
Super Mommy
When do you start buying for the next year?

What are you using next year?
April 17th, 2010, 10:38 AM
BensMom's Avatar Ephesians 4:29
I buy as I go if I find something for more than 20% off (especially if it's "new-used"). Otherwise, I buy everything at Mardel's 20% off sale in May, because I get free shipping, 90 days to return, and the May sale includes in stock & special order stuff. Most of what I want isn't in stock.

Next year is:
  • Writing - Handwriting w/o Tears
  • Latin - Song School Latin this summer and Latin for Children A starting in the fall
  • English - Rod & Staff 2
  • Spelling - Sequential Spelling 1 (and probably 2 ... haven't really had a chance to look at it yet)
  • Reading/Vocab - Spectrum 3rd for the summer and Early Reading Comp from Varied Subject Matter C & D for the year ... I really like WorldlyWise online, but I doubt we'll have time to use it
  • Math - Finishing R&S 1st over the summer (got a delayed start on it) and doing 2nd next year along with Primary Grade Challenge Math (easy levels) ... we'll probably also do Kumon multiplication in the Spring (still debating MUS ... too expensive, even on yahoo group)
  • Science - Apologia Zoology 2 & 3
  • Social Studies - Mystery of History 1 and Spectrum Geography 3 (undecided on Geography... might return it to Mardels, because MOH supposedly teaches geography)
  • Health - Abeka 1 & 2 (delayed start on 1st)
  • Art - Abeka
  • Music - Instruments (Fall) & Composers (Spring)
  • Bible - Finishing the Rainbow Lessons series through xmas and then starting this 4-year series

Last edited by BensMom; April 17th, 2010 at 10:41 AM.
April 17th, 2010, 11:52 PM
Sandra314's Avatar Homeschooling Mom
Send a message via Yahoo to Sandra314
I purchased most of our curriculum last July/August and only have a few items to get which are Student books for Language Arts and Rod and Staff Math student books. I will getting those items this summer.

Our 2010-2011 curriculum :

Penmanship/Handwriting- Handwriting without tears
Language Arts - Rod and Staff Bible Nature and Reader Series
Phonics – Explode the Code.
Spelling – the Natural Speller and free online resources from these sites:
Super Teacher Spelling and Spelling City. One good thing is that Explode the Code covers vocabulary so we will be using that for our weekly spelling words.

Reading - Read alouds and selections of books based on reading level and the unit studies we will be covering throughout the year.
Math – Horizons Preschool Book 2 with my youngest and then when he is finished with Book 2 , we will be using Horizons Math K. We are going to use Rod and Staff Math with my oldest son in the Fall.
Science - Nature Studies using The Handbook of Nature Study by Anna Botsford Comstock and using Christian Liberty press Nature Readers as well as Kingfisher's Young Discoverers Series.

Social Studies - Celebrations around the World: A Multicultural Handbook by Carole S. Angell. We will also be learning about the seasons and holidays, community workers, and about family values.
Geography- We don't use a geography art curriculum, we are continuing with our own lesson plans I create for our studies on World Countries.
Bible/ History – History for Little Pilgrims for my youngest and for my older son, we are considering the Grapevine studies or SOTW.

Art – We don't use an art curriculum, we do art and craft projects related to our unit studies.
Music – We do not use a music curriculum instead we learn about musical instruments from different countries as we have been with our Geography studies that I create. We started music in January of this year so far we have learned about:
China – Erhu, Gu-qin, and Zheng (Guzheng)
Ireland – the Celtic Harp and Irish Penny whistle
Australia – Didgeridoo

Sandra. Wife to Timothy and Homeschool mom to Michael and Matthew

Married for 16+ years to the love of my life.

Last edited by Sandra314; April 17th, 2010 at 11:54 PM.
April 18th, 2010, 07:33 AM
AmAnDaMo's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I haven't started thinking about my 8 year old because I don't know if she'll be home or not next year. She wants to try homeschooling over the summer and I hope she wants to continue.

For the little one, we're pretty much going to continue to use what we've been using...Sonlight for history/geography, HWT for Handwriting (although she gets enough of that with ETC and writing on her own time right now, and she'll be doing more writing when we add in LA for next year so we may not need a separate writing program), ETC for phonics, random readers for reading, Sonlight for science, etc.

I am going to add in Sonlight language arts. And I'm not sure what we're going to do with math since she's going through it so quickly. We're currently using a combination of Singapore and Math-U-See. She didn't like MUS initially, but she enjoys it again. I wouldn't use it exclusively, though.

Last edited by AmAnDaMo; April 18th, 2010 at 11:07 AM.
April 18th, 2010, 02:16 PM
dalynnrmc's Avatar pronounced (day-lynn)
I usually buy in March-ish, after we get income tax return.

This past year we kind of had a bit of a hiatus from textbooky things, and pretty much are just going to be finishing what we have. I don't need much -

Epsilon and Beta from MUS

And umm... thinking about it... that might be all we need at least until fall. LOL What we're using -

5th grade -
R&S English (will need to move up to 6 sometime in the summer or fall)
Epsilon MUS math
English From the Roots Up
Mystery of History, semester 2
Illuminations literature study guides
SOS science
Hands-On Geography
Learning Success Institute for gentle writing
we'll find a couple of PE electives after our move - tennis and karate hopefully, maybe swimming instead of tennis through the summer.

1st/2nd -
Finishing OPGTR
Starting FLL
Spelling from Scholastic and/or Spelling Power
A Reason for Handwriting
MUS Beta
PE electives

K/1st -
MUS Primer/Alpha
Brain Quest workbook as desired
PE electives

Much thanks to Alethia for my beautiful siggie and tags!!
April 19th, 2010, 09:16 AM
Super Mommy
I'm buying mine as soon as I know what state I'll be in next school year.
Language- daily grams
reading- Spectrum reading
spelling- Sequential spelling
writing- Excellence in writing
geography – Spectrum Geography
history of the United States – History of US 11 volume book set
history of Ohio- My first book about Ohio
government - History of US 11 volume book set
math- Singapore math
science- Real science -4- kids physics text, noeo Physics II
health- Health and safety curriculum
physical education- YMCA teams throughout the year
fine arts – Saturday Art
music – Saturday Art
first aid- quick guide
safety- Health and safety curriculum
fire prevention- Fire safety poster

West Virgina
reading – Spectrum 6th grade reading
language- Daily Grams, Sequential spelling
math- Singapore math (4B-6B)
science – Elementary-level Physics (real science 4 kids text noeo Physics II)
social studies – A History of US - Complete Paperback Set
April 19th, 2010, 12:00 PM
Platinum Supermommy
As soon as Dh give the official go ahead I will probably be getting a few things. I am also going to get a few things at the mardel 20% off sale. We will be using:

Growing with Grammar
Writing with Ease
Spelling workout (may be adding All about spelling if she needs it)

Horizons or BJU ( I haven't decided)

Story of the world and Activity Guide

Fifty States under God

Apologia Astronomy

Bible Study Guide for all ages (maybe)

Horizons or BJU

Geography :
Fifty States under God

Bible :
Bible Study Guide for all Ages

History and Science she will just be following along with her sister if she wants to.
Momma to :
E-10.5yrs 11/03
S-7.75yrs 8/06
A-6yrs 3/08
J-4.5yrs 11/09
K 2.5yrs 9/11

Last edited by *~Amber~*; April 19th, 2010 at 12:04 PM. Reason: to finish post.
April 19th, 2010, 12:45 PM
TaraJo29's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
When: I start figuring out what I'm going to use next year in the spring, and then make final decisions and purchase in the summer, or as we have the mula.

What we're using next year (tentatively... I'm still reading reviews for some of these!):

2nd grader -
Math: Math-U-See alpha & beta (if I can afford it! I think I will try because it's my top pick.)
Science: Apologia's Exploring Creation with Astronomy
English: Not sure?
Spelling: Not sure?
Reading/Phonics: Explode the Code, starting with book 5 probably
Latin: Either Song School Latin or Prima Latina (or possibly both?)
Handwriting: Not sure?
History: A Children's History of the World
U.S. History: Not sure!
Health: Not sure about that either.
Music: Take a wild guess...

I have a lot of figuring out to do, don't I?! lol

K / 1st grader (first of all I have to figure out if he will be a Kindergartener or 1st grader according to NY state. LOL):

Math: MCP Math K
Science: Apologia's Exploring Creation with Astronomy
Phonics: Explode the Code
History: A Children's History of the World
Mom to Titus (12), Isaiah (10), Noelle (8), Joel (6), Hannah (4), Elijah (1), and baby due Nov 4!

April 21st, 2010, 10:10 PM
christianmommato3's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to christianmommato3 Send a message via Yahoo to christianmommato3
I am ordering my stuff this week. I like to catch the April sales...
I will be using horizons math and everything else will be Abeka. I will be teaching 3yr, 3rd grade, and 5th grade.... I like doing all one curriculum
stay at home, homeschooling momma to Jacob(12), Alisha(10), Andrew (5)

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search