Time 4 learning

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 17th, 2010, 02:36 PM
kwilder's Avatar Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to kwilder
anyone used Time 4 Learning as a core curricula?

www.sevenwilders.blogspot.com
April 17th, 2010, 03:44 PM
BensMom's Avatar Ephesians 4:29
I haven't, but I know there are some here who have. Do you have a particular question about it?
April 17th, 2010, 04:38 PM
kwilder's Avatar Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to kwilder
I am just concerned that it may not be enough...I am adding SOS Bible but didn't know what other areas of T4L might need supplementing.

www.sevenwilders.blogspot.com
April 19th, 2010, 12:30 AM
Super Mommy
Have them go as fast as they want in it Miguel got through a couple of years in a couple of month then he got board and hated it. Depending on your child's age you may have to change things. I Feel it's about 1-3 years behind grade level depending on how your school system is.
April 19th, 2010, 06:39 AM
That's along the lines of what I've seen/heard as well. It's fun when you start, but it gets boring quickly and it's not as challenging as it needs to be. Some people like it and have success. Maybe one of them will pop in here and talk about what they like about it. It's not something I'd use, though... at least not as an entire curriculum choice.
April 19th, 2010, 08:50 AM
Super Mommy
We used it several times when it was just to much of a struggle to get him to do any work. Around 4th grade (I think can't remember) it starts looking less game like more online bookish. You may have better luck but if it has the same name it can't transform how it looks or how you interact with it for Miguel. I know several people that have challenging children or challenges themselves that T4L or SOS have worked for as a complete curriculum or supplement curriculum when needed.

If your child likes game based learning you may want to look into Jumpstart 3D ($8.00/ month) it goes up to 5th grade or the Wii game goes up to age 9. It would only cover math and language arts though. There is also brainpop (covers science, socail studies, math, art, music and technology) in small 3 min. videos ($10/month or $100/year) and Explode the code online. If you look at the educators section you can compare what brainpop teaches to time4learning. I'm also feel quality over quantity. So If they get it, and like it then let them continue. You also have the option of taking the DOMA and DORA to see if they are on-level for your state. You may also want to look into monarch because it's cheaper than SOS and it's an 18 month subscription.
April 20th, 2010, 01:38 PM
KeriMomof2's Avatar Veteran
We use Time4learning as a core curriculum for the last 2 years & it has been working perfectly for us!
For my kids age 3 & 8 it is plenty challenging..
For some kids it may be too hard or to easy but ,that why i like it cause you can adjust grade level at a whim and you get 3 grade levels at a time so its pretty custom IMO
Besides adding SOTW for some indepth history i havnt found a need to suppliment..but my dd's a realy history buff so for some one elses child the history may be just fine..
Honestly no matter what i say or what others say..The truth is what work or doesnt work for me or others ,May or may not work for you....
The fact that Time4learning offers a 2-week money back gurantee ,to me is a no brainer..Just try it..then you will know
BTW if you decide you love it..Here is a lil money saving tip..Buy a least 3 months in advance and you will get a $5 a month discount $-)
Hope I have helped!!
*Keri*I am a Co-sleeping ...Retired-EBF'er "8+years total"...No-circumcision... Non-Vaxing...Home-schooling/Road-schooling ~> College Student Momma, Who loves Blogging<~click to View O' and did I mention I am now a Avon Sales Rep ? www.youravon.com/Keri
April 20th, 2010, 02:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeriMomof2 View Post
Honestly no matter what i say or what others say..The truth is what work or doesnt work for me or others ,May or may not work for you....
That should be every homeschooler's motto! There's SO much out there. I wasn't aware of the money back guarantee on this one (well, not that it was an on-going thing, anyway). I'd also take a look at it if I were you. It's worth a shot.
April 21st, 2010, 05:29 PM
in_mommy's Avatar I am just me
Not sure what happened to my response that I did several days ago, but we used it for a short time. We didn't care much for it. She got bored with it and never used it. When we signed up, there was no free 2 weeks, from what I am seeing on that, it seems to come and go. I also found it way too easy for her to skip through an activity that she didn't want to do.
April 22nd, 2010, 11:24 AM
KeriMomof2's Avatar Veteran
Its not a "free" 2 weeks...Its a 2 week "money back" guranntee

You order the program & pay..and after 2 weeks if you do not want it you call them and cancel and they refund your money ..Simple as that

I wish all Curriculum companys offered this...of course i suppose it be hard to do this with traditional book curriculum...thou you think they have some sort of couple day sample packet they could send out to try...It would make it so much easier to figure out what you liked best if you were not so scared of losing that money $$$
*Keri*I am a Co-sleeping ...Retired-EBF'er "8+years total"...No-circumcision... Non-Vaxing...Home-schooling/Road-schooling ~> College Student Momma, Who loves Blogging<~click to View O' and did I mention I am now a Avon Sales Rep ? www.youravon.com/Keri

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search