phonics, spelling, grammar - Should I consider them separate?

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 19th, 2010, 12:52 PM
TaraJo29's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
For ETC Books 4, 5, etc. (the 2nd grade level), do most people let that be their "spelling" practice, too? Or do they use a different spelling program?

I'm afraid of breaking subjects up even more than I have to and just making things harder for myself (and the kids) needlessly.

For example, do you guys recommend that I use ETC (which is definite), PLUS a grammar/English program, PLUS a spelling program in 2nd grade?

[/url]

April 19th, 2010, 02:50 PM
BensMom's Avatar Ephesians 4:29
Some people do. Some don't. Do what you think is working. ETC is a great spelling tool, but it's not a spelling program per se. We went all the way through the ETC books by doing one lesson per day. Some people prefer to space it out to one a week. Some people need the half-level books and some don't. We didn't use the half-levels. When you see that a child understands the material, there's no reason to continue doing every single exercise unless it's a practice type of subject like handwriting or piano. We did ETC this year and will be doing spelling and grammar next year. We'll also be doing comprehension next year, but again, that's just one lesson per day, and it takes 10 minutes at the MOST to complete. Here's what a typical day looks like for us right now:

Handwriting - daily, independent, 5 minutes
Math - daily, independent for about 5 minutes and instructional for about 10 minutes
Reading - daily, independent for about 10 minutes and sometimes instructional for about 5 mintues (to cover anything he did wrong)
Science - one or two days per week, instructional, appx 20 - 45 minutes (depends if we break it into two days or not)
Social Studies - instructional, once a week, 10 minutes
Art - usually independent (depends how involved it is), daily, appx 10 minutes
Music - finished, but it used to be once a week, instructional, appx 5 minutes
Bible - daily, instructional, appx 5 minutes
Other - daily, appx 15 minutes, usually independent (stuff he asks for like mazes, puzzles, brain teasers, etc.)

Daily instructional time is 20-60 minutes, depending on subjects covered that day. It'll be more next year, but still not something that will take all day long to cover.
April 19th, 2010, 06:55 PM
TaraJo29's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Wow, I am amazed you can spend that little time on each subject and make progress. 5 minutes on math??! I think you have a speed-child on your hands. lol DS does put around but he takes like a half hour to do JUST Math... one page, front and back. Explode the Code probably takes 20-30 minutes (the whole 8 page lesson). I'm guessing, but it's DEFinitely not 5.

How can you get away with social studies once a week? (if you don't mind my asking!) How much do you cover in a year?

And how old is your oldest, by the way (For comparison purposes. Mine is almost 7, going into 2nd grade).

I was estimating I'd spend like 6 hours a day on school next year!

[/url]

April 19th, 2010, 08:23 PM
BensMom's Avatar Ephesians 4:29
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaraJo29 View Post
Wow, I am amazed you can spend that little time on each subject and make progress. 5 minutes on math??! I think you have a speed-child on your hands. lol DS does put around but he takes like a half hour to do JUST Math... one page, front and back. Explode the Code probably takes 20-30 minutes (the whole 8 page lesson). I'm guessing, but it's DEFinitely not 5.

How can you get away with social studies once a week? (if you don't mind my asking!) How much do you cover in a year?

And how old is your oldest, by the way (For comparison purposes. Mine is almost 7, going into 2nd grade).

I was estimating I'd spend like 6 hours a day on school next year!
Next year will be longer for social studies. We'll be doing Mystery of History three days a week. This year was just the Abeka K book and some TX history stuff. We'll be doing 2nd grade next year. He'll be 5.

Math is his worst subject. There are days when it takes him all day (ok, not literally, but forever) to do what should take 10 minutes, but usually, he tries to get through it quickly knowing he can't do the stuff he really likes until he finishes it. He loves every subject ... except math. Hates it. LOL We've switched to Rod & Staff now, which he tolerates much better than he did Abeka. He does one page, front & back, per day. R&S has a TON of review in it. He doesn't "need" the review necessarily, but he does need the handwriting practice, so I don't let him skip much like I do with other subjects. Subjects that are mostly oral are ones that I allow him to skip exercises when I'm sure he's mastered the material.

I used to teach PS, so I can see why it takes a class full of kids 6 hours to do something. When you've only got your own kids, though, you can correct mistakes as you go, teach on the exact level they need, and teach in their preferred learning style. You don't have to assign tons of busy work so that the whole class is busy at the same time, and there's no such thing as "homework" since it's all done at home anyway. Things go much, much, MUCH more smoothly with one student than 30!

Last edited by BensMom; April 19th, 2010 at 08:27 PM.
April 19th, 2010, 08:38 PM
Super Mommy
Miguel used ETC as phonics, spelling and writing for 3rd grade. Spectrum reading as grammar, reading comprehension, and writing. However doing 2 pages a day he did 1-8 ETC. We do social studies as bedtime stories every night.
April 21st, 2010, 05:33 PM
in_mommy's Avatar I am just me
We use ETC for phonics, sequential spelling for spelling lol, and right now FLL for grammar, and dd is in 2nd grade. The only thing I want to change with that is the FLL to I think Easy Grammar.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search