Quick Question for anyone who has used Horizons K Phonics & Reading (and spelling)

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 21st, 2010, 07:46 AM
mommytutu's Avatar mom to Emma & Jacqueline
I found these two sets on craigslist for only $30 in like new condition and I'm picking it up tonight. I've heard it is a bit advanced so we probably won't use it for a while, but it was too good of a deal to pass up.

I've looked at the program before and did like it, but I am wondering, since it is published by Alpha Omega, if there is a lot of religious content?

Last edited by mommytutu; April 21st, 2010 at 08:17 AM.
April 21st, 2010, 01:00 PM
AmAnDaMo's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
The only Alpha Omega product we've used is Lifepac math, and the only reference to religion is a verse on the first page.

I found this review about Horizons reading/phonics. The 2nd to last paragraph may be helpful.

Review of: Horizons Phonics and Reading

April 21st, 2010, 01:09 PM
Thank you! That is very helpful.

April 21st, 2010, 04:03 PM
BensMom's Avatar Ephesians 4:29
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmAnDaMo View Post
The only Alpha Omega product we've used is Lifepac math, and the only reference to religion is a verse on the first page.

I found this review about Horizons reading/phonics. The 2nd to last paragraph may be helpful.

Review of: Horizons Phonics and Reading
Thank you! I looked and looked for that exact review, but the site was having issues at the time. Kept saying someone was trying to edit the page or something? I thought it was mostly non-religious, but I wanted to be sure before replying, so thank you.
April 21st, 2010, 05:40 PM
Picked it up. It's in brand new condition, really, except she had it spiral bound, which works for me. I flipped through it and there are a few pages that have pictures of a cross, Bible, church, or prayer hands in the Phonics and Reading books, so no big deal for us.

The spelling books I am not sure we will use. They have whole lessons on Bible verses or stories. I wasn't really set on using Horizon for that anyways, and 1st grade is a ways off.

Anyways, for both complete sets it was too good of a deal to pass up, so I'm happy.

April 21st, 2010, 06:03 PM
AmAnDaMo's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
No problem.

I'm glad you're happy with it.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search