How long until you finish the term/year?

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 21st, 2010, 09:30 PM
BensMom's Avatar Ephesians 4:29
How much is left before your children are promoted to the next level (whether it's term, grade, year, or whatever you call it)? We've got 27 school days left. Ben's soooooooooo excited to officially call himself a 2nd grader. He has no idea he's working on 3-4 different levels depending on subject. Why complicate things? I just let him be proud of his hard work.
April 21st, 2010, 09:58 PM
christianmommato3's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to christianmommato3 Send a message via Yahoo to christianmommato3
we have 6 days left. We start in early August and get out the end of April.

April 22nd, 2010, 11:02 AM
Super Mommy
I explained to Miguel that he will be staying in third grade even though he's done excellent. I told him it's because in WV he'll be able to take some classes at the school. It's partly that, but partly that he's very active and has not been able to get where I want him to in interacting with others. The fact that he is very tall for his age, what grade he's in and the way he talks people expect more from him than he can give. I can't change his size or his manner of speaking or would I want to but I do have control of his grade that he is registered as. I may even register his as a second grader. That way if he does decide to take a class or two he may be the tallest and older then most in his grade but hopefully he'll be able to abide by the rules of the class without needing much redirection.
April 22nd, 2010, 05:03 PM
Sandra314's Avatar Homeschooling Mom
Send a message via Yahoo to Sandra314
We school year round. The boys will begin their next grade levels in the Fall by mid August.

Married for 14+ years to the love of my life. Currently TTCing.
April 22nd, 2010, 05:58 PM
in_mommy's Avatar I am just me
Since we are going by the schools here, we still have 6 weeks left. Then we are going to do a break of a few weeks and then we are going to start and do it year round.
April 23rd, 2010, 09:44 AM
AmAnDaMo's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I just call the little one a preschooler for the sake of extracurricular activities and to avoid any complications when I'm talking to people that don't know her well. It's easier for me to say we're doing preschool at home when they ask where she goes to school than to say she's doing this level in math and this level in reading, etc.

Should my 8 year old decide to stay home, I would just call her a 3rd grader next year for many of the same reasons, though she wouldn't really be doing any 3rd grade work at all.

I really just go with the flow when it comes to the little one, making the work more challenging as she's ready without really thinking of her as being in any "grade." Since her sister is still in PS, we'll continue what we're doing until she gets out for the summer. At that time, we're going to be doing a lot of history/geography, science, and Greek mythology per their requests and focus a little less on other things. In August, I plan to start a few new things with the little one, so I guess that's unofficially when she'll begin her next term.

April 23rd, 2010, 10:20 AM
TaraJo29's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We are in the middle of selling our mobile home (maybe making a deal tomorrow!) and will likely be moving in the next few weeks (aahh!), plus we ALL just had a terrible flu, so we will be taking our sweet 'ole time this last quarter. We have until June 30 to hand in our annual report, so we may have to use all that time to finish what we set out for (i.e. about 8ish more weeks).

However, right now we are doing ETC book 4 which is considered 2nd grade. But I won't consider him IN 2nd grade until the fall. Since I have to report to the state what grade they are in I have to kind of pick a grade and stick with it, and if they get ahead in everything, I will still say they are in the same grade but may enlighten someone that they are doing "3rd grade work in reading" or whatever, if they are interested. Otherwise, I keep it simple in case they are a naysayer!

[/url]

April 23rd, 2010, 10:38 AM
BensMom's Avatar Ephesians 4:29
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmAnDaMo View Post
I just call the little one a preschooler for the sake of extracurricular activities and to avoid any complications when I'm talking to people that don't know her well.
Especially with the delayed motor skills and the sensory processing disorder, Ben is sometimes like a 2 year old when it comes to activities. He gets so frustrated when he's not able to participate in things other kids his age have been doing for a year or two. Therapy is really helping him catch up, though! I think he'll probably be on an age-appropriate level by January. Heck, even Daniel (at 17 mos) is doing some things Ben can't do.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search