Anyone have middle schoolers or high schoolers?

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 23rd, 2010, 07:20 AM
mommytutu's Avatar mom to Emma & Jacqueline
I have a friend who is looking into homeschooling her 14 year old. He is a good kid, has had a rough start to life (mom was a drug addict and left him alone to fend for himself for most of his life. His dad got custody of him when he was 10) and is struggling in public school. He started the year off badly, and has been suspended 9 times this year for things like chewing gum, or hugging a girl in the hallway. Because of that he is falling behind badly in school, barely passing most of his classes, and he is losing interest in learning all together.

I was hoping one of you wonderful ladies had some information I could pass on to her. TIA!

April 23rd, 2010, 11:23 AM
BensMom's Avatar Ephesians 4:29
I don't have anyone that age at home, but that's the age I taught in PS. What kind of info are you looking for? My certifications were PreK-12 music and 4-8 science, but my experience was 5-12 in the classroom.
April 23rd, 2010, 11:54 AM
(Bare with my, my space bar and "n" key aren'tworking well so my typing is a little messed up.)

Any information on how to go about homeschooling her son...placement tests, where to get curriculum for that age (secular,) ways to help him transition from public school to homeschool... any ideas.

I believe he is currently in 8th grade. He will finish this school year at PS since it is almost over and then start fresh in the fall.

April 23rd, 2010, 12:27 PM
BensMom's Avatar Ephesians 4:29
Some secular ones are Oak Meadow, Calvert (expensive, and I think it only goes through 8th grade), and Robinson (self-directed curriculum). Here are some others, but most are not high school level: Secular Homeschool Curriculum

As for placement, you can sometimes find placement tests through the publisher of your choice (placement in their specific scope & sequence), or you can go with a general standard. Here are some examples from HSLDA: HSLDA | Homeschooling Thru High School : Testing

When transitioning, he'll almost certainly need some "deschooling" time. Homeschooling doesn't (usually) look anything like PS. He should take some time off to explore his own interests, go to the library, etc. before jumping into a solidified curriculum. It would be good to find out his personality and learning style before choosing a curriculum, too. What does he want to do with his life? Will he need college prep classes, life skills classes, vocational classes? That can help steer him toward co-ops, curricula, and dual credit college courses. Sometimes it's in a kid's best interest to keep up with state minimums until the state's GED minimum age is met and then test out of high school to go to work. Depends on the kid, really. (My mom teaches GED classes, so she sees that a lot. She said that as a general rule, homeschoolers either ace the test on the first try or fail miserably. There isn't a lot of middle ground.)

I was going to say something else, but now I can't remember what it was. I'll probably come back to this later... or keep kicking myself!
April 25th, 2010, 01:58 PM
Mega Super Mommy
My 14 yr old is using Thinkwell Algebra and SOS for Biology and French. He is also learning Japanese on his own through a combination of CD's, workbooks, and websites. I'm using a geography matters book (can't remember the title) along with other resources to put together a World Geography and Cultures program for him to which I also link Literature Study. He also takes several classes through our local Co-op-- Theater, Cooking, Karate, etc..
And he just attended his first Homeschool Formal last night and had a great time!

There are plenty of resources for homeschooling through high school. Specifically I would look for Co-ops in the area. Most teens need that source of socializing and friendship and the parents would be able to offer ideas, support, advice, etc...

Some excellent curriculum sources that come to my mind would be Sonlight (literature based- religious, but can be used secularly), Classical Conversations(a mix of homeschooling and co-op education if there is one in your area), Thinkwell (Online Math, Science, and more.)
I know there are websites and books dedicated to homeschooling teens- I'm sure a quick search would come up with a lot of information.

SciGuy,14 Butterfly Girl,12 Wyldchild,7 FlowerFairy,5 and Babybird,3

and RK, 13, exchange student from Japan

My Homeschooling Blog:
April 26th, 2010, 09:41 AM
~~~Sue~~~'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to ~~~Sue~~~
I have decided to try a "charter" school to help my hubby feel at ease with me home schooling my middle schooler that is having a rough time with the social aspect of public school. He does very well in other situations (in scouts, church jr high group, and other activites) the kids are just so mean and my son is a bit older and very small (he is going to be 15 in June in 7th grade well will be going into 8th grade and looks like a 3/4th grader) I say just jump in and if you can find a local home school group in the area by searching the net for one that would help they would lvoe to share their ideas of what has worked and not worked for them and they would gladly help you along. good luck
April 26th, 2010, 10:12 AM
Thanks for all the help and information, ladies. I will be passing it on to my friend, and helping her research.

April 26th, 2010, 12:28 PM
in_mommy's Avatar I am just me
I think a big key for both of them is to find a local home school support group besides all the curriculum suggestions everyone had.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search