curious about year round schooling

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 24th, 2010, 08:45 PM
mommytutu's Avatar mom to Emma & Jacqueline
Anyone school year-round? I'd love to hear about why you chose to school year round, and what your experience has been like with it.

ETA: I'd also love to know what your calendar looks like!

Last edited by mommytutu; April 24th, 2010 at 08:49 PM.
April 25th, 2010, 05:07 AM
Mega Super Mommy
We haven't done it yet, but this is what we plan to do when we start schooling, and we've a number of reasons for it.

- It allows our kid(s) to advance through grades faster if they work at a normal pace, or gives us some extra time to complete grades if we need more time on things.

- It means we can take breaks as needed throughout the year instead of being tied to the schooling calendar. So while we would take a break for Christmas, our 'summer' break would likely be in May and/or September instead of in the middle of summer. It's too hot here to be outside all day in the summer anyway!

- DH has to work all but 3 weeks of the year (not including weekends), and it just makes sense to school on the days he has to work for the most part.

The only thing I haven't figured out is when the school kids are out of school for the summer and our kids still have school work to do, lol. I'm figuring we'll just insist that early afternoon (the hot part of a summer day) is school time inside, and the morning and late afternoon/early evening they can play with their friends if desired or something like that. That gives everyone some quiet time mid-day anyway.
April 25th, 2010, 05:19 AM
BensMom's Avatar Ephesians 4:29
Ditto... my son has to be busy all the time or else he goes crazy bugging me for more work. I'm sure that'll change when he hits puberty, but for now, he craves school more than food.

Aug thru May, we have 36 weeks of school with 4 weeks off for holidays and breaks. Those dates aren't set in stone, though. If we have nothing planned when the break rolls around, we'll work through it knowing something will come up later that makes us want to take time off.

Summer is a much lighter load to leave room for summer camps, etc. It's used for catching up anything that fell behind during the regular year, doing oddball subjects, etc. Here's what our calendar looks like:

Summer is 3 weeks of reading, math, and social studies, 2 weeks of camp, a week off, 2 more weeks of camp, and 4 weeks of Latin (which also overlaps VBS and the upcoming year just a little bit).

The next year is Aug 16 thru May 16 with 4 weeks of break. Daily work is English, Reading, Spelling, Writing, and Math. Tu/Th is Science, Music or Art, and Geography. M/W/F is Latin and History.

Our school day is shorter than most because we extend reading, math, and one other subject into the summer. Another perk of year-round schooling is that children don't get summer brain rot, and they don't go into their first job with the expectation of a 2-3 month vacation.
April 25th, 2010, 08:10 AM
silverlife's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I plan on doing year round school. Here's a few of the reasons why:

* No having to spend a month reviewing the previous material before really getting into the new curriculum.

* You can take a slower pace on subjects that are not easy for your child.

* No break to the routine. A few months of all play and no school might make it hard to get a wiggly child to be willing to sit and do school.

* It's not like my husband gets the summer off and we could go vacation all summer, so why not do school then?

* You can take vacations when your family needs it, rather than during peak vacation season.

* To make school only four days a week.

For example, during the school year, do school 4 days a week. You'll get 4/5 of the reading and math done. Most other subjects don't need a full five days, so they'll be done during the normal school year. To fill in the other 1/5 of reading and math, do light schooling in the summer where you do only reading and math 4 days a week.

That means you could have a day off each week for field trips, co-ops, outside activities like gymnastics or swimming, take a break from curriculum and do learning games instead, or use that day to get things like grocery shopping done.
May 1st, 2010, 08:15 PM
KeriMomof2's Avatar Veteran
We chose to school year round for a few reasons.
1st is the flexibility of it...If we choose to take a day off here or there or take a vacation then i know we can make it up later
2nd is we can do less days per week ..instead of 4-5 days a week we do 3-4 days on avg
3rd. My children can do more grades per year and make it more possible to finish high school early and start college earlier
*Keri*I am a Co-sleeping ...Retired-EBF'er "8+years total"...No-circumcision... Non-Vaxing...Home-schooling/Road-schooling ~> College Student Momma, Who loves Blogging<~click to View O' and did I mention I am now a Avon Sales Rep ? www.youravon.com/Keri
May 6th, 2010, 05:39 PM
Super Mommy
Miguel is just better behaved with a continuous schedule.
May 10th, 2010, 06:22 PM
JustAKrazymom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to JustAKrazymom Send a message via MSN to JustAKrazymom
We totally school year round and have for the last 4 years.

My main reason is no "summer dumb".. since my oldest has been in PS I can tell you they loose so much of what they learn then you must spend time reviewing and getting them back to where they were at the end of the year..not cool IMO.

Also it allows my kids to just naturally move thru their subjects. My 2nd oldest can fly thru and be 2-3 grade levels ahead and my daughter who struggles a bit can have that extra time to stay on track with her peers.

My youngest and my 2nd oldest both need their minds educated daily ( even weekends) or they just arent happy..add that to hot busy days..no way..

So in the summer do the 3R's every day to an extent..rainy days we do more, busy days less..plus this "extra" time allows us the freedom of field trips,vacations, playdates etc without every feeling like we have a deadline to get work done and thus we wouldn't be able to go on said trips.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search