Do your terms start/end at the same time?

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 29th, 2010, 10:19 AM
BensMom's Avatar Ephesians 4:29
Do you start and stop all subjects at the same time, or do you start/stop them however they fall on the calendar?

We "officially" have 18 weekdays left of 1st grade if I go strictly by the calendar I planned at the first of the year, but in actuality, he'll finish all but one subject next week (on varying days). He'll have a couple of days the following week for one subject, and then he'll be done with the core stuff. There are still several foo-foo assignments remaining, but I don't care if he does those at all. They're just things he's asked for because he enjoys them (art, mazes, etc.).
April 29th, 2010, 11:33 AM
~FaRRaH~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to ~FaRRaH~
well no because we work at where ever he is... so right now he is around 2nd-4th grade in math (depending on the school) and in 1st-2nd in language arts and we will continue until school days run out and pick up there in the fall. with refreshers throughout the summer.

Islam Jr. 09-20-2003 * Sumaiya-Alee 09-07-2007 * Angel Baby 01-08-2010
April 30th, 2010, 07:50 AM
christianmommato3's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to christianmommato3 Send a message via Yahoo to christianmommato3
yes, I follow a calendar, with quarters and a start/finish date. I like to have structure and organization. My kids like to know when they start and finish things. It gives them goals to achieve. They love it. I am a teacher in training.LOL I have 2 years of elementary education under my belt....

May 1st, 2010, 11:03 AM
frgsonmysox's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to frgsonmysox Send a message via MSN to frgsonmysox Send a message via Yahoo to frgsonmysox
As we are still in the planning stage, right now I do have a set daily schedule. I'll see how that changes when we actually begin homeschooling on the 31st!
~Beth~ Wife to my Airman Chris, and mommy to: Anthony Nathaniel (8/31/04), Anastasia Fae (8/01/06), Baby C (lost on 10/12/07), David Cillian (7/31/08), Charles George (4/29/10), and Alan Christopher (2/22/12)

My BLOG - A Day In The Life of a Freg (it's a little bit of everything!)
May 1st, 2010, 02:19 PM
dalynnrmc's Avatar pronounced (day-lynn)
I don't even mess with the calendar any more. We finish each subject whenever we finish. I prefer to go the speed the child needs to go - whether that be lightening fast (like going through the math curricula in 2/3 of a year) or a snail's pace (like taking almost 3 years to do ancient history LOL).

So when one level/book is finished, we move to the next one, no matter where the other subjects sit or what page the calendar reads. Okay I take that back - we move to the next one whenever the budget allows it. LOL Sometimes I'm able to get things in advance anticipation of moving on, and sometimes we go on a tangent of some sort until we're able to buy the book/s we need.

Much thanks to Alethia for my beautiful siggie and tags!!
May 1st, 2010, 03:34 PM
Sandra314's Avatar Homeschooling Mom
Send a message via Yahoo to Sandra314
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalynnrmc View Post
I don't even mess with the calendar any more. We finish each subject whenever we finish. I prefer to go the speed the child needs to go - whether that be lightening fast (like going through the math curricula in 2/3 of a year) or a snail's pace (like taking almost 3 years to do ancient history LOL).
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalynnrmc View Post

So when one level/book is finished, we move to the next one, no matter where the other subjects sit or what page the calendar reads. .
Same here for us.

Married for 14+ years to the love of my life. Currently TTCing.

Last edited by Sandra314; May 1st, 2010 at 03:37 PM.
May 2nd, 2010, 06:33 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I'm pretty much leaning toward 'officially' finishing a grade on the day before the child's birthday, and starting the new grade the day after their birthday (birthdays are a day off, lol), but to work at the child's pace in every subject, so they might finish K math when they're 4, or they might finish it when they're 7, but they'll advance when they're ready, and be fine.
May 4th, 2010, 08:56 PM
TaraJo29's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We finish subjects whenever we happen to get to the end. I set deadlines that I don't want to go past, but if we finish early with some books then we are done with those and I don't assign busy work or anything. And if it isn't time for a break then we just move on to the next level or book and get ahead. That's the nice thing about homeschooling... you don't have to wait for everybody else or follow the calendar if you are done ahead of time. Your child gets ahead!

[/url]

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search