sunday school curriculum

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 2nd, 2010, 01:25 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I hope you ladies can help me. I am searching for a curriculum to use for sunday's children church. We have two classes 0 to 5 and then elementary age (grade K to 5). I am a teacher, so it is easy for me to create a lesson plan but I know for my fellow volunteers at church don't have the same experiences I do so I'd like something that is easy for anyone no matter what experience they have. Mostly, I'm looking for my preschoolers - but would like the option to expand or shrink a curriculum as needed. We're currently using 252 and adapting for the preschools but it is getting really difficult plus almost renewal time. Price is a factor as well.
May 2nd, 2010, 07:07 PM
BensMom's Avatar Ephesians 4:29
Are you looking for a kit that you'd buy (use it up and buy again), or are you looking for lesson plans that you'd adapt to your needs (use over and over)?
May 2nd, 2010, 08:45 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Not totally sure - I guess I'm open to both options.
May 2nd, 2010, 10:14 PM
BensMom's Avatar Ephesians 4:29
We use ABC at my church (Amplified Bible Curriculum, adaptable for preschool through high school, used on a 3 year cycle ... 2 yrs for old testament and 1 yr for new). It's very expensive to get started, but once you go through a cycle of it, it's easy to maintain for future use.

I've used Rainbow Lessons by Jane Britnell for Ben. There's a 1 year OT and 1 year NT book. It's pretty much just an outline, memory work, etc. There are no coloring pages or crafts included. You'd have to come up with that on your own.

Ben will be doing this series (4 years) starting in Jan 2011. Bible Class Curriculum for Elementary, Middle School, Home Schools It's for late elementary age, but it can be adapted for other ages.

This site has both outlines and slideshows. Children's Bible Lessons and Bible Slideshows

This site has lots of free resources (although some of their links take you to paid sites). MSSS* Crafts and Resources for Bible Stories

You can get ideas here. Bible Crafts and Activities for Kids

I love Abeka's homeschool Bible program, but it's also a bit expensive to get started (the ABC curriculum lists Abeka as a resource as well). Look for the "Flash-a-Card" stuff. https://www.abeka.com/ABekaOnline/CatalogSearch.aspx

Some worksheets: Bible Activity Worksheets

This site has some stuff, too. (Sorry... just browsing through my favorites folder...) New Testament Lessons and Worksheets at Sunday School Sources: Free Bible lessons, review activities, worksheets, songs, trading cards, and ideas for teaching children in primary and junior classes.

... sick baby crying. Gotta run!
May 6th, 2010, 02:39 PM
therevslady's Avatar Built for Birth
I don't know if I'm posting too late, but I thought I'd put in my 2 cents. I am the children's pastor at my church and we use the Godly Play teaching methods, and I use Living The Good News Online Support Site to assist in my lesson plans and such. It is a liturgical approach in a kid-friendly way... and it does pretty much what it says: it teaches through story telling, playing, make believe, art, music, and so on. I like it because it is just enough to give me ideas and lessons, but it is not extensive so I can alter it to meet the needs of the kids. There are lessons and ideas for weekly lessons and seasonal lessons, and it goes from infants to adults.

May 8th, 2010, 06:09 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Thanks ladies, I'll check through the links sometime t his weekend. I guess the biggest factor for us is volunteers and money. I did find a workbook thingie at one of the stores near us that has a memory verse, a craft and a story. So hopefully.... crosses fingers will be helpful for my group (they have a separate book for "big kids")
May 14th, 2010, 07:08 AM
*Mrs.T*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to *Mrs.T*
I've totally lost my mind at the moment! I have a book I use for my preschoolers, it's has a memory verse then a story, and several crafts you can do, and also normally includes some type of snack you can incorporate and then it has the stuff for a bullitein board in the back of the book, and well as a letter to give to the parents, asking for help with snacks, if that's something you plan on doing. I never do the snacks but it's nice to have that option The book was only $12.95 and I just copy what I need to for each child. I love the book, and when my mind comes back to me I'll tell you who makes it haha
The book is "God's Servants Teach Me" it has a total of 8 lessons, "Ruth teaches me to be thankful" and the "Wise Men teach me to give" are the first two that come to mind...I got it at the local Christian book store. HTH!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search