So excited! I got my books!! ...and a side-rant (long)

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 4th, 2010, 10:27 PM
TaraJo29's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Once I decided on what I wanted, I couldn't bear waiting any longer to order it. Plus, there were some sales I wanted to take advantage of... that's what I tell myself anyway. haha

ANYway, I will have to post a pic of all the wondrous material I've received. It is all 1st - 2nd grade stuff. I got ETC, of course, a US History story book, a cool grammar book, some awesome handwriting books that were only like 5 bucks, Song School Latin, apologia science (Astronomy) which looks really interesting and I think my boys will LOVE it... I ordered from Christianbook.com which is one of my fave sites.

Then I ordered Mathtacular and A Child's History of the World from Sonlight.com since I have a 10% discount with them cuz I'm a "core club member."

AND... last but not least, I received my Math-U-See Alpha and Beta!!! I didn't expect to get it already so that was a pleasant surprise, HOWEVER, the UPS man came when I was totally sleeping on the couch while the kids were watching a movie (not unusual - lol). I heard someone knock which startled me and I had no idea who it could be, so I jump up and look outside and there is a relatively small box that the UPS guy left on my porch IN THE RAIN!! I knew it must be brand new books so I just about flipped my lid and ran out there and grabbed them. HELLOO... that "little box" that he dropped off not even knowing if anyone was home had about $200 worth of materials in there that could have gotten soaked in the rain!!

In FACT... he dropped off my books from Christianbook.com on the porch the other day when the porch was wet and by the time I got home the bottom of the box was SOGGY. I got the books out right away but they had indeed started to absorb some moisture because some of the books now have "wavy" edges... you probably know what I mean. They didn't even "feel" wet but I KNOW that's why the edges are a little wiggly because I know that brand new books are totally flat and crisp. I'm not tooo worried about it and I'm not going to return them or anything, BUT I'm not too happy about the UPS man who apparently has something against me receiving dry books!

...Deep breath... but all's well that ends well and now I am just happy to finally be able to look through all the books I decided upon instead of just a few sample pages. I am especially excited about my math-u-see stuff. It was expensive (it came to $178 for alpha & beta), but I think it will so be worth it. From what I have seen in the books and I have even watched a few lessons, it looks very well put together, and I have already benefited from the teaching tips on the dvd. It helps ME understand math better already, lol. I think this is exactly what I need to teach math. Yay!!

[/url]

Last edited by TaraJo29; May 4th, 2010 at 10:50 PM.
May 4th, 2010, 11:13 PM
BensMom's Avatar Ephesians 4:29
*jealous* (Of the MUS... not the rain. )

Our FedEx guy is very unimpressive as well.
May 5th, 2010, 01:04 PM
Sandra314's Avatar Homeschooling Mom
Send a message via Yahoo to Sandra314
I'm glad that you got your order. It's too bad that you previous order got ruined in the rain.

We have been fortunate that our UPS guy is very nice, he calls us to notify us when they are in the area. Unfortunately, when he is off from work, the others aren't as efficient.

Married for 14+ years to the love of my life. Currently TTCing.
May 5th, 2010, 07:40 PM
in_mommy's Avatar I am just me
I LOVE my UPS man!!! Now Fed Ex, well, lets just say the Ex is right!! I have come to the point that I wont order from a company if they only ship by Fed Ex. Congrats on your order!! What did you get from them for English??
May 5th, 2010, 08:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_mommy View Post
What did you get from them for English??
Well, I was all set to order BJU English for 2nd grade and then I realized that it would come to $90-something. So I decided on Evan-moor Grammar & Punctuation Grade 2. It covers punctuation (obviously), contractions, fragments and sentences, has a little writing I think, and all that stuff. Sounds fine to me... and it was $16.50!! I had never heard of it, but the sample pages looked well put together and simple, but effective.

I will also be using Explode The Code and Beyond The Code when we get to that, and we might use a book called "Just Write" for creative writing. I hope that will cover all our bases.

[/url]

May 6th, 2010, 06:54 PM
Super Mommy
Cool!!! I'm sorry your books were wet.
May 8th, 2010, 05:29 PM
here's a pic of our MUS stuff... alpha & beta ($178). I think you get a lot of good material for your money, honestly. And the books now have really nice glossy covers. The teacher's book is hardcover. The binding up until this year, I believe, was bound differently (spiral bound or something) which people complained about in the reviews. That's part of the reason I decided to buy it new instead of used... so I could get the new books that will last. (No, I'm not a MUS salesman. LOL )

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_NRpiCCCMXq...huseestuff.jpg

[/url]

May 9th, 2010, 12:06 AM
Super Mommy
That's so cool I hated the other binding.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search