Do you think it's possible to homeschool and work full-time?

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 5th, 2010, 06:35 AM
Natalie_Snow's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hi, just popping in with a question

Do you think it's possible to homeschool and work full-time?

P.S. I am a certified Middle School Teacher and i am no sure i could find a part-time teaching contract...DH totally supports the decision to homeschool but he also wants me to have a job...
May 5th, 2010, 06:55 AM
BensMom's Avatar Ephesians 4:29
Possible, yes. Easy, no... not at first, anyway. It gets easier.

I'm a former teacher myself. There are tutoring jobs you can get (either from home, or part time at a tutoring center). You can also make a little extra cash (not enough to live on) by grading standardized tests.

If you want to do a regular school day at a public school, you'll have to homeschool in the evenings. That's fine, of course, but you have to consider the age(s) of the child(ren). Young children do best first thing in the morning. Field trips and group outings happen during the day. They'd miss out on that unless you hire a nanny who doesn't mind being a shuttle service. The younger the child, the more hands-on the teacher (parent) needs to be as well. Older students can do independent work, so for example, you could assign work during the day while you're gone, check it when you get home, and then teach the next day's lesson at bedtime. Younger children wouldn't really have "homework" while you're away. You'd be very involved every evening.

Another option is doing marathon days on the weekends rather than shorter days during the week. If your child(ren) have the attention span for that sort of thing, it would work.

Yet another option is to have a light load during the year, and do most of your schooling during the summer break.

The obvious option is to hire a tutor, but then "you're" not really doing the homeschooling yourself. Depends on your reasoning for HS'ing in the first place. If it's just to keep your kids out of a PS setting, a tutor would work. If it's so that you can teach them in your own way, a tutor won't work.

Last edited by BensMom; May 5th, 2010 at 06:59 AM.
May 5th, 2010, 07:22 AM
TaraJo29's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Sorry to be the rain cloud , but my opinion is that if the scenario is teaching all day at school and then coming home and teaching your own children, I think it would be impossible... that is IF you want to do anything else (like clean the house, hang out with hubby, get groceries, etc...).

I think teaching during the day and homeschooling in the evening would use up ALL of your time besides eating, sleeping, and showering, aside from weekends if you took them off. You could do a portion of homeschooling in the evening, but I doubt you could do a great job and spend enough time if the evening is all you had. Plus, like BensMom said, younger kids almost always do better in the morning and their brains get mushier as the evening goes on, so that would make evenings doubly hard. I suppose marathon weekends would be possible but I would be afraid of making my child hate homeschooling because we would be at it for so long on the weekends and it would be too much.

That's just my opinion, since you asked!

Could you find a job as a tutor? If you got a list going of students to tutor, you could schedule yourself to tutor them all day for like 2 days in a row and make quite a bit of money (I've heard $30 per hour.. I don't know if that's average), so you could make a decent amount of money in only a couple days and have the rest of the week to homeschool. Just a thought. It might be worth putting some ads in the paper and see how many calls you get.

[/url]

May 6th, 2010, 01:26 PM
brandimomof2's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I do think its possible but it would be tough. Working Part time would be more manageable but I do think its possible.

I know you are in my ttcal board. We have been homeschool for a year now and I think its the best think I have done. Its tough at first but its best for my girls. I am glad I decided to do it.

May 7th, 2010, 04:57 AM
Natalie_Snow's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Thank you all for your answers and advice!!

That's what I thought.... almost impossible to do both. I was actually thinking of staying with them until they are 7 or 8 y.o. and then looking for a full-time/part-time job. I guess we're going to wait and see how it goes.

I want to homeschool for various reasons and I plan on doing most of it myself (my DH is in the military so I do not know how often I'd get help with it from him). I definitely do not plan on using tutors but they'd attend dancing/drawing/music/whatever they like/ classes.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search