So here's a question...

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 10th, 2010, 05:28 AM
Regular
For the states that require 900 hours of instruction, how does that all add up if you go year round? Like, would you just start counting the hours when your local school district ends their year, for the following year? Does that make sense?
May 10th, 2010, 08:08 AM
BensMom's Avatar Ephesians 4:29
It depends on the state. Most will specify when the school year starts/ends. I haven't found that for Ohio, so I don't think it matters, but I may be wrong. Don't take my word for it. (Thankfully there's someone else here from Ohio. She can probably clarify.) Keep in mind that 900 hours isn't all book work. Anytime your kids are learning, you can apply the time toward the subject it covers.
May 10th, 2010, 08:10 AM
Mega Super Mommy
In most states you have 12 months to make your hours, and I believe those hours start counting from the deadline to get your notice of intent (or similar) in to the school board, so here in VA you would start counting days/hours on August 15 (though it isn't required to be submitted so no one does).
May 10th, 2010, 08:12 AM
Regular
So the fact that my daughter gets anywhere from 3-6 hours of gymnastics per week, can that count towards physical education?
May 10th, 2010, 08:48 AM
Super Mommy
In Ohio you are required to do 900 hrs. but I have never had to keep track of the 900 hrs. to show people. If you are going to keep track it brakes down to 3.5 hours of educational stuff a day but only 3 hours a day if you go to church. If you count everyday she's awake as she's learning then it's 2.5 hours a day. Count everything, Ohio has so many little subsections that everything should be able to fit into one of them. If you are going to keep a log I found it easiest to use the stop watch option on our phone and log activity, subject, time spent then add the total when you get to the bottom of the page.
May 10th, 2010, 06:17 PM
JustAKrazymom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to JustAKrazymom Send a message via MSN to JustAKrazymom
here in Mass we are expected to get 900 hours but we don't have to prove anything.. I always just say in my letter of intent "we will exceed 900 hours as we school year round".. I do NOT count my hours..cus I figure if my kids are awake they are learning so getting the 900 hours takes no time IMO
May 11th, 2010, 11:09 AM
Mega Super Mommy
EVERYTHING counts as learning/educational. Any physical activity, even just playing outside on a bicycle or with friends counts as phys ed. Making a meal is home ec. Washing hands, taking baths, brushing teeth, etc, is health. Shopping is math. Library trips are language arts. Pretty much everything we do in a normal day can count toward schooling hours in some way or another, and if you have to account for every minute of the 900 hours (because I know there are a few places that DO make you do that), then you can just count things up that way. When we first moved to one of the provinces we lived in, we did have to account for a certain number of days each subject was covered (not hours), so even if school was 'scrapped' for the day my mum would figure out what subjects we'd covered in life for that day.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search