Organization/schedules

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 10th, 2010, 12:36 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I'm not a super organized person (in terms of time, my physical stuff is organized). Is that going to be a big hurdle with homeschooling? I always feel like I have too much to do and not enough time to do it, and it's mainly because I'm not organized. Is this something I'm going to have to fix before I start homeschooling (my son is only 3, so I have some time)?
May 10th, 2010, 12:49 PM
BensMom's Avatar Ephesians 4:29
Depends on your style. I'm the opposite. I'm extremely organized (almost OCD). That's probably just as bad as having no organization at all, though, because there are times when I kinda lose my mind when things get off schedule... and they will ... even when you schedule in a little bit of "oops" time.

You don't have to have a strict schedule, no. If you're in a state that requires you to track your time, you'll have to do that. If you're in a more relaxed state, you can chose to go with a somewhat regulated schedule (like "this" needs to be accomplished by "this" date, but when you actually do it doesn't really matter), or you can go to the extreme end of unschooling where you plan nothing at all and go with the flow.
May 10th, 2010, 06:28 PM
JustAKrazymom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to JustAKrazymom Send a message via MSN to JustAKrazymom
I'm OCD and extremely organized.. BUT my kids are not like me and me being all OCD about our schedule was not good for them..so I have relaxed ( even tho it's very hard fo rme).. It's very possible to be relaxed and be very successful at HSing..as long as your kiddo responds to being relaxed..if he needs a schedule then you will have to force yourself in order to do right by him..but if he thrives without a strict one run with it..
May 10th, 2010, 08:29 PM
Super Mommy
My son hates organization He's loses 3 pencils a day, at least! However it helps with his behavior. We have a very loose schedule set wake up, work first, get ready for the day and go play. Then dinner, family game, Daddy time, read and bed. He has a tote of reading books he's completed, box of unfinished reading books I have a tote of school books to be completed and a box of completed workbooks. His current reading book is kept with him and his current school books are kept at his desk.

Last edited by Miguels mommy; May 10th, 2010 at 08:43 PM.
May 11th, 2010, 05:20 AM
Regular
I'm also not a very organized person, and I'm wondering how it will go as well!
June 21st, 2010, 12:09 PM
Mega Super Mommy
It might be a good idea for you to go with a curriculum that has a pre-printed schedule for you to follow. Something like Sonlight. I have tried homeschooling both ways- with an organized schedule and flying by the seat of my pants. Seat of my pants did not work for us. Things just didn't get done and I was always struggling to come up with things to do, not having supplies I needed, running to the library at the last minute, etc... not good. For me (and for my kids) homeschooling was more fun and we got more accomplished when I had a schedule and used it! There are enough curriculum companies that realize you may not want to write your own schedule and offer one ready to use. Take a look at those and see if you think it would work for you.

SciGuy,14 Butterfly Girl,12 Wyldchild,7 FlowerFairy,5 and Babybird,3

and RK, 13, exchange student from Japan

My Homeschooling Blog:
June 23rd, 2010, 05:16 AM
Tofu Bacon
This is our biggest challenge, thus far. Admittedly, I am not an organized person and I get distracted very easily, so I want to get started right after breakfast but ds is not a morning person, so he is less than cooperative, lol. So, I'll start doing a little housework in the meantime... then next thing you know its lunch time... then the kids are busting to get out and play... then dd's nap time... then someone takes a poop so huge that they need to be hosed off in the tub... then dh needs dinner early because he has to counsel someone or teach a class... Its a viscous cycle

So at this point, what is working for us is we started our "school year" this month, and just do school work every other day, with the intent of working year round. Neither one of us thrives on a schedule, so the daily goal is to start somewhere between breakfast and lunch, the reward being playtime outside for the kids and some TV time for me.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search