Handwriting w/out Tears

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 11th, 2010, 06:25 AM
Regular
Can anyone tell me what you think of this curriculum? I'm only looking for something to teach writing and want to know how much I would have to order and what I would have to order to have everything I need. I've found with some of the other subjects and curricula I've been using, I've had to reorder to get some stuff that I didn't think I needed and really did need. I want to avoid that this time. So, if you have it, do you like it? And if you like it, what do I need to have everything I need to teach her writing?
May 11th, 2010, 06:52 AM
AmAnDaMo's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I started my little one in the K program, and I only bought the teacher's manual and the student book. I haven't used the teacher's manual at all. She already knew all of her letters and was writing...it was just to help her learn to form her letters correctly. Some of the other materials (the wooden pieces, for example) may have been helpful if that hadn't been the case. I think it just depends on your needs.

We really liked the program, though.

May 11th, 2010, 07:46 AM
Regular
Yeah, we need to mostly work on formation of letters so maybe I just need to get the student book...Thanks!
May 11th, 2010, 08:30 AM
JustAKrazymom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to JustAKrazymom Send a message via MSN to JustAKrazymom
We used it.. my Declan liked it but I didn't find the books to have enough to them.. a lot of what he "learned" didn't stick after the book was done. My daughter tried and hated it..
May 11th, 2010, 08:41 AM
BensMom's Avatar Ephesians 4:29
We love it, and it's also what Ben's occupational therapy office uses (but I didn't know that when I chose it... he hadn't started occupational therapy at that time). We use only the book. You're supposed to teach the letters with their little system of wooden pieces and a little chalkboard, but that's not necessary. Actually, if you have a chalkboard at home (or even sidewalk chalk on a very smooth surface like a garage, not sidewalk) you could do that. I haven't used the chalk, but I see how it would be effective. Ben's handwriting has improved DRAMATICALLY since we started using it about 3-4 months ago. I love it. People kept telling me to try it, but the site looked too complicated/expensive. I picked up the student workbook alone at Mardel's just to try it out, and it was great.
May 11th, 2010, 09:14 PM
Regular
BensMom,
You said Ben's handwriting has improved DRAMATICALLY since we started using it about 3-4 months ago. I love it.

Glad to hear that. Sometimes I think about how his handwriting is doing.
Thanks for sharing.
May 12th, 2010, 06:39 AM
BensMom's Avatar Ephesians 4:29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanysia View Post
BensMom,
You said Ben's handwriting has improved DRAMATICALLY since we started using it about 3-4 months ago. I love it.

Glad to hear that. Sometimes I think about how his handwriting is doing.
Thanks for sharing.
Yes, he's doing great! When he has a blank piece of paper (like printer paper), he still writes enormous letters (like, 3 per page!), and they're all caps. When you give him lines, though ... any lines, dotted or not ... he writes much smaller and uses lower case letters. I thought the HWT lines would confuse him because they don't look like a traditional writing tablet, but it didn't confuse him at all. He can write on both. He still makes a backwards S once in a while and stuff like that (who doesn't at this stage of development?), but his writing is more age-appropriate and speedy now than it's ever been, and I think anyone on the street could read about 75% of what he writes. I'm pleased!
May 12th, 2010, 03:23 PM
~ Ada ~'s Avatar Zen
I use only the workbooks, and while my 9 and 7 year olds like them my 5-year old not so much, but we are looking to hopefully restart in the summer.

A family is a place where minds come in contact with one another.
If these minds love one another the home will be as beautiful as a flower garden.
But if these minds get out of harmony with one another it is like a storm that plays havoc with the garden.

~ Buddha

May 13th, 2010, 05:30 PM
Sandra314's Avatar Homeschooling Mom
Send a message via Yahoo to Sandra314
We are using this curriculum with the boys. I read the reviews for it before getting it. It was recommend to us by my oldest son's occupational therapist. It appealed to us because our son struggled with handwriting and other curriculums were of no help.

We only use the student and some of the TMs. We did not buy the other materIals. I got the majority of the curriculum books through paperback swap with the exception of one book that I found on Ebay .

Married for 14+ years to the love of my life. Currently TTCing.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search