Handwriting

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 12th, 2010, 08:10 AM
Venus's Avatar Super Mommy
Hi,

I am new to this board, and looking for some help & ideas.

My 4 year old DS goes to pre-school nursery, he is doing good in all areas except writing/handwriting. He does not holds pencil properly and needs lot of prompting to do that. In his nursery I noticed that 3 year old children are holding pencil and have control on their handwriting. I have spoken with his teachers, but they are of the opinion that he is better with reading, doing puzzles & sports, so they are not really concerned. I have decided for next 3 months to get him up to speed, after which he will be going to big school and I don't want him to not be able to write properly, as it may affect his confidence in other areas.

So I am looking for the ways I can develop his interest and get him to write properly. He hates writing on worksheets/workbooks and only writes whatever he likes on a plain paper. I have bought him all sorts of pencils, colours, pencil grips etc. but nothing works.

Any ideas will be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Venus.

**Thanks Kristy for beautiful siggy **

**SandKmommy thanks for my gorgeous siggy **
May 12th, 2010, 12:20 PM
BensMom's Avatar Ephesians 4:29
Mine's the same way, except he has a lot of physical delays, so he's getting help from an occupational therapist. To improve grip, you need to improve strength and dexterity. Fun ways to do that are squeezing exercises (like play-doh, making cookies, making mud pies, wadding up paper for a "snowball" fight, etc.) and activities were one finger has to be isolated (something like piano is great for older kids, but at this age, just make a game out of touching thumb to first, thumb to second, etc.). One "exercise" my son got was a little tiny spinning top (the kind you find in a cracker jack box). He had to isolate thumb and finger to spin it. Another was a prescription type of playdoh that's much harder to manipulate than playdoh ... almost like taffy, but not quite. There are lots of tiny objects hidden in it, and it's his job to "find the treasure" with his fingers.

Writing will happen when it happens. Keep reinforcing the way to form letters in a fun way by using a cookie sheet full of rice, beans or sand (make letter shapes by drawing with finger or straw), finger painting, shaving cream, sidewalk chalk, dry erase markers or bath crayons (be careful of tile, though, it doesn't come out of grout). Dry erase markers are fun on a bathroom mirror. You can draw weird stuff on your reflection (devil horns, mustache, etc.).

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search