2 Questions Pls and Thx

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 12th, 2010, 03:59 PM
Amaranth Dhanya's Avatar aka Hillarie
Send a message via Yahoo to Amaranth Dhanya
I was curious how you find out exactly what they should be learning so you can build on lessons from that. I found out for Kindergarten but now that Im heading into first grade things with him I cant seem to find a good list. Couldnt see anything on the school districts website either(but maybe Im blind LOL).
Any ideas?

Also...for those that have more than one child(particularly younger) how do you seperate things so they arent all over you as you teach your other child? My two youngest want to learn with him but they arent ready for what my oldest is learning yet. I plan on setting time aside to teach them something as well but I need to find a way to keep them out of my hair(or as much as possible)while Im teaching my 6 yr old(he's easily distracted thats my biggest concern).

Any ideas cuz I figure Ill need more than the hour or two the little ones are napping.

Thanks much!

~My thanks to *Kiliki* for the siggy and Lucy S for the blinkies~
May 12th, 2010, 04:18 PM
BensMom's Avatar Ephesians 4:29
Your district website probably won't have anything on it. Your state website would, though. Google the state name and education standards to find out.

My youngest is sometimes sleeping while I work with the older one, but not always. He started moving away from naps a few months ago. He likes watching Leapfrog Letter Factory, Peep & the Big Wide World, and Mickey Mouse Clubhouse (although I see very little educational value in MM ... we just like MM around here ). He also enjoys coloring those huge coloring books, playing with stuffed animals, playing the piano (keyboard), and reading board books. When we're doing something that involves TV, computer, or CD, he does it with us because he's nosy. I also sometimes give him a snack while we're working on school. Since school takes us a maximum of 2 hours (usually much less), those things are sufficient. The older he gets, the more he'll want to "do school" with us. I'll start giving him preschool worksheets (like those workbooks at walmart) or whatever when the time comes. He's not ready for anything like that yet.
May 12th, 2010, 04:34 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Well to keep the youngers busy I am building a "busy box" for each one of them (I'll have two an infant and a toddler next year). A busy box is a storage container with activities that are age appropriate just for them, each activity is placed in it's own ziploc bag. They get one bag out at a time and they tend to keep them busy for a while. When they are finished with that activity then they put it up and get a new one. The bags are rotated out on a regular basis so they don't get bored.

Amazon.com: What Your First Grader Needs to Know: Fundamentals of a Good First-Grade Education (The Core Knowledge Series) (9780385319874): E.D. Hirsch Jr.: Books

I have heard that this is good for what you need.

I hope this helps
A-6yrs 3/08
J-4.5yrs 11/09
K 2.5yrs 9/11
And
L-7/12/14!!!!

May 12th, 2010, 04:35 PM
Thank you. It did have a link to the county's curriculum for K-2nd grades. I really dislike it written in that funky legal jargon. LOL Drives me nutso sometimes.

It says I have to send in a letter of homeschooling intent and it says I need an education plan to attach to the letter.

"4. Educational Plan: Attach a statement of the educational plan for the child, appropriate for the age and level of skill of the child as determined by the parent, in the subject areas of:
English: including reading, composition and writing
mathematics
science
social studies: including history, geography, economics, and government

An educational plan that contains these requirements must not be used in any manner as a basis for denial of a notice of intent to homeschool that is otherwise complete. The parent is not required to ensure that each subject is taught each year that the child is homeschooled."

Can you tell me what exactly that means cuz Im not sure if they mean detailed plan or just that Im going to do English: sentence structure, comprehension of written and read items,etc. Math:simple addition, money counting,etc OR what they want exactly.

Like I said I have issues with how some things are read cuz Ill see it one way but they might not see it that way...kwim? I like to get other opinions on what they think it means.

Would be so simple if I just said...he's mine and Im schooling him...bu-bye LOL.

May 12th, 2010, 05:17 PM
JustAKrazymom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to JustAKrazymom Send a message via MSN to JustAKrazymom
A free resource to see what they should be learning is worldbook.com they have a section "typical course of study" I use this as a sort of check list..

I have been homeschooling for 4 years now and my youngest is 4.5.. keeping him busy when he was under 2 was no issue..he was usually sleeping.. from 3-4 was a nightmare..he wanted to be in with whatever we were doing and the busy boxes we did were good..for awhile..but didn't fix the whole issue. Now that he's 4.5 he is doing some lessons along with us. This helps him feel big and then he is more content to play by himself while we finish.

let's see.. I have pre-k,1st,3rd and 10th grade going here..the 10th grader does his own work..very little I have to teach him. I teach LA and Math to each kiddo by him/her self.. at their distinct level..I teach science,history,social studies , art to them all at once..the rule of thumb is teach to the oldest ( since I had 3 in 3.5 years there isn't too much space between them) and let the littler ones grab what they can.. so far it's working extremely well. My 4.5 old can tell u so much about science and history it's not funny!
May 12th, 2010, 08:30 PM
Lol Thanks Alison(well all the ladies who've responded).

In my state we dont have to actually enroll a child til age 7 thats the state age mandetory thing. But reading the "rules" again it seems that since he's turned 6 before September I have to do the letter of intent even tho by law he doesnt have to be there for another year anyway. Thats why this is coming back to new for me cuz I didnt have to deal with it and now I do LOL.

My younger two are 4 and 2. They are always into each others things so if the younger ones are doing something the 6 yr old wants to know whats going on and do it,etc(he's my oldest). If the 6 yr old is doing stuff they wanna know all thats up and get involved and freak if I dont let them.

I think the boxes of various goodies might help...wont hurt to try. I also will do a lesson a day with my 4 yr old. He's not as smart as my 6 yr old so he needs more help with just about everything. He doesnt take learning seriously LOL. My 2 yr old is smart as a freakin' whip so I can do small things with him as well, probably will work with him and the 4 yr old at the same time. Its just times I need to be directly one on one with the 6 yr old Im concerned.

Ill do as much as I can during naps and hopefully before and after that will be dealt with with boxes and other goodies.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search