The "workbox method"

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 13th, 2010, 11:59 AM
TaraJo29's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Check out this blog post:

Day 109. What’s in those Boxes? | Just A Night Owl

I am totally thinking about doing this!! Has anyone heard of it?

My kids are forever asking me "Are we done yet?" "How much school do we have left?" and it does seem like this would foster a sense of accomplishment and a visual aid to the question "HOW MUCH IS LEFT?"

What do you guys think?

[/url]

May 13th, 2010, 12:21 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I'm really tempted to try it once we get into proper preschool. I think it would solve the problem I have with organization. Either that or I'd get sick of filling the boxes every night and my kids would wake up and find nothing in their boxes, thus declaring it to be a holiday.
May 13th, 2010, 12:38 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I plan on using it with these boxes.

Double Mobile Organizing Tower, Mardel

I will let you know what I think about it after we implement it.
A-6yrs 3/08
J-4.5yrs 11/09
K 2.5yrs 9/11
And
L-7/12/14!!!!

May 13th, 2010, 12:46 PM
JustAKrazymom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to JustAKrazymom Send a message via MSN to JustAKrazymom
We use Workboxes

My Workbox System ( edited) : Wayzley Academy

WorkBoxes~Tweak #3 : Wayzley Academy

Last edited by JustAKrazymom; May 13th, 2010 at 12:48 PM.
May 13th, 2010, 02:08 PM
BensMom's Avatar Ephesians 4:29
I started using a simple form of this system with Ben about... I dunno... 3 weeks ago? It was right after I got all of our stuff unpacked in the school room. I really wanted to use drawers like that post or what Alison posted, but the ones I have are two different sizes, and there aren't as many drawers as I thought I had. So... I improvised. I've got stacking trays (like the kind you'd turn in work for in PS). They're numbered 1-7 with a "done" tray on the top. Number 7 is never empty. It's all the "fun stuff" (as Ben calls it) that he likes to accumulate (Kumon books, mazes, puzzle workbooks, brain teasers, etc.). Numbers 1-6 are for work only. If I had enough slots, I'd make ones for breaks and such, but until we sell the old house, I'm broke, and besides, his work takes no time for now. He doesn't need or want breaks yet.

So far, so good. He likes using this system. I'd heard "of" it and knew a little about it, but about 6 weeks ago, I went to a little workshop about it (the workshop was aimed for toddler preschool, but it was adaptable for all ages). The toddler one used much larger boxes and had all sorts of stuff in them (megablocks, bottles of finger paint, binder clips, etc.).

As I get time and money, I'll modify what I'm doing. It'll help when Daniel gets old enough to start doing a few subjects with us. I'll be able to overlap their days a little.
May 13th, 2010, 04:17 PM
TaraJo29's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Wow, I'm surprised you guys are already doing this! I'd never even heard of it. lol This makes me think it must be pretty effective in general.

I am very excited about this as one of the biggest hindrances to our homeschooling is I can't drop everything when DS1 needs help, so he often announces he needs help, and I say "you have to wait a minute" and then 20 minutes later when I finally take a breath and I'm done doing what I was doing and look around, I realize I totally forgot he needed help and now he's been playing for 20 minutes with his brother. So it's like work, play, work, play... it's frustrating for him, and drives me crazy because it drags out the school work.

I'm hoping this workbox thing would keep me organized and keep him GOING until he finishes (without asking "how much left??"!!).The tricky thing will be when he needs my help and I can't drop the baby, or whatever, and help him right then. I still need to figure that one out. I don't know if waiting stations are the answer or what.

But the workboxes can only help my situation, I think. The poor first ones are always the guinea pigs! Hopefully my "homeschool" will be run more smoothly by the time the other kids are really into it.

JustAKrazyMom, so do your wait stations stay the same all the time, or do you designate new ones every day?

BTW, JustAKrazyMom, I enjoyed seeing your version of the workbox method. Thanks for sharing! It always helps me to see what works for others.

[/url]

May 13th, 2010, 06:49 PM
We change the wait stations.. and try to have 3 going.. usually one is the Wii Fit so the kids get some excercise while they wait!
May 14th, 2010, 06:32 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I hadn't heard of it when I was teaching my niece and nephew, but for my niece I just put everything she needed to do into a stack on her desk and let her go for it (she already knew her day started with 'reading class' and 'math class' so there was no need to have those in the stack), and then when she finished her pile she was done and could go do whatever she liked. It probably would have been GREAT for my nephew though... if I'd known about it then I totally would have employed them for him.

I plan to use something at least somewhat similar for when we start schooling Rebecca... but we'll have to see, since that's still AT LEAST a couple of years down the road!
May 20th, 2010, 05:17 AM
Tofu Bacon
Ds doesn't have his "own" workbox, as he's not ready for much independent work yet. Our workbox is basically all of our materials for the week (story books, FIAR manual), lapbook supplies, ds' pencil case filled with his supplies (a glue stick, pencils, a pink marker since that's the only color he likes to write with, a roll of tape, pair of scissors).
May 20th, 2010, 02:33 PM
frgsonmysox's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to frgsonmysox Send a message via MSN to frgsonmysox Send a message via Yahoo to frgsonmysox
Interesting idea! I will totally keep this in mind for the future if our current plan doesn't work out - especially when his siblings join him.
~Beth~ Wife to my Airman Chris, and mommy to: Anthony Nathaniel (8/31/04), Anastasia Fae (8/01/06), Baby C (lost on 10/12/07), David Cillian (7/31/08), Charles George (4/29/10), and Alan Christopher (2/22/12)

My BLOG - A Day In The Life of a Freg (it's a little bit of everything!)
May 20th, 2010, 02:48 PM
mom2mande's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Looks really neat! I might have to do something like this for my 4 year old this fall. The older kids they each have a calendar/schedule. I make up about 3-4 weeks at a time. So it tells them each day what they need to do and as they do it they cross it off their sheet. It also serves as lesson plans and when the week is completed I file it away in case any one ever questions us on home schooling I have something to show them (along with obviously their work I save from the year and tests)
May 20th, 2010, 05:02 PM
roving_gypsy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I use a form of work boxes, we use sterlite boxes Walmart.com: Sterilite 6.2 Quart Modular Latch Box, Set of 6: Storage & Organization
they work really well for us. We only have like 9 I think. And we don't use all of them every day. We have one subject per work box and my son grabs the box we will be working with and then we go through the subject, if he can do the work independantly then he does so and when he's done he hands the work into me and grabs another box. It seems to keep everything organized for me, which really helps!!

There is a book called Sue Patrick's work box system and a yahoo group workboxes : Sue Patrick's Workbox System
I've never read the book, but I plan to as soon as our move is done, since I really have no clue how the actual work box system is supposed to work. But I am a part of the Yahoo group.

I've also started workboxes for my 3 and 4 year olds. Their boxes have lacing cards, sorting items, clothes pen activites and art supplies in them. It's a way to keep them busy while we do school with my oldest. I've just started introducing them to the work boxes and they seem to love the idea!

Ask me about dōTERRA Certified Pure Therapeutic Grade Essential Oils!

Or click on the picture above to visit my Facebook page!

May 20th, 2010, 05:32 PM
I have the Ebook on Workboxes.. it's good but most adapt as she flat out says it's her way or the highway...LOL..
May 20th, 2010, 07:36 PM
roving_gypsy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Where can we get the ebook?

Ask me about dōTERRA Certified Pure Therapeutic Grade Essential Oils!

Or click on the picture above to visit my Facebook page!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search