What's happening this week?

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 16th, 2010, 08:51 PM
BensMom's Avatar Ephesians 4:29
What's going on in your world this week?

Tomorrow is a field trip. I signed us up for it thinking it was a little 1-2 hour thing. I didn't realize it was 2 hours away, though. Looks like we'll be gone all day! It's one of those that we prepaid a month or so ago, so I can't back out (... well, I can, but I'd be out a whopping $9.00. ). Our dog unexpectedly has to go to the vet in the morning (sort of an emergency, but not quite... if we don't get her in soon, it will be, though). Dh is going to try to get her in, but if he can't, we'll have to skip our field trip to do it. Ben's upset about that, but hey... that's life.

The rest of the week is school as usual. We're meeting a friend from his HS group at the library on Thursday, and he has physical therapy on Friday. I need to make a doc appointment in there sometime, too... although, it'll probably get pushed to another week. I'll need to find a babysitter, and that's easier to do after PS gets out.
May 17th, 2010, 04:37 AM
JustAKrazymom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to JustAKrazymom Send a message via MSN to JustAKrazymom
We have the usually 9 dance classes and 9ish karate classes... Taejan is moving up in karate this week , he's very excited because you usually have to be 5 and he won't be til Sept but they said he's more than ready.

Today we have a kickball game with some of the families from the HS group, the local paper is supposed to come and do an article on us too..we'll see. We have book club Wednesday.. and Noah has his formal test for his green belt this coming weekend..so he'll be prepping for that.

Then of course normal life, lessons and living. I still have a bunch of work to get done for the studio.. so lots of my "spare" time will be spent doing that.
May 17th, 2010, 05:34 AM
therevslady's Avatar Built for Birth
This week should be very relaxing hopefully. I have a midwife appt, and other than that, we are just chillin'.

We are taking a break from a lot of stuff and just concentrating on reading right now. We have a play group tomorrow at the park for our church group (all three of us right now, lol) tomorrow. Soccer season just finished up, and I am looking forward to some down time till this baby gets here!

May 17th, 2010, 07:19 AM
christianmommato3's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to christianmommato3 Send a message via Yahoo to christianmommato3
After today, not much around here. today,I am having a jewelry party so I am cleaning my dirty house. I also am feeling like crap today. My allerigies are really bad today. I even have an earache I am enjoying my slow week!!!!!

May 17th, 2010, 09:53 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Allison- you have to take the kids to 9 dance and 9 karate classes- every week?? Wow.

My project for today has been reorganizing the basement. It is going to be a huge project and it's going to take more than one day to get through it. But I am making some progress. So far we put up some new shelves and got some bins for it. The kids made signs for the bins so we know where everything goes. I dusted and moved furniture around. There is so much more to do though. Thank goodness tomorrow is "throw out as much garbage as you want" day in our town. Gotta love that!

Tonight I have to work. No solid plans for the rest of the week yet (that I can remember), but I'm sure plenty of things will come up. Have a great week ladies!

SciGuy,14 Butterfly Girl,12 Wyldchild,7 FlowerFairy,5 and Babybird,3

and RK, 13, exchange student from Japan

My Homeschooling Blog:
May 17th, 2010, 09:56 AM
Amaranth Dhanya's Avatar aka Hillarie
Send a message via Yahoo to Amaranth Dhanya
Same old, same old. Nothing much changes around here.

Am going to finish doing stuff for next fall though, get all the state crapola done this week.
May 17th, 2010, 10:04 AM
Regular
Hi I am new here. I have 9 children. I homeschool. My 2 oldest boys are grew and out of the house. My oldest daughter is in college. Home for the summer.

This week we are finished up our lessons. We are going to test next week to see how we are doing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BensMom View Post
What's going on in your world this week?

Tomorrow is a field trip. I signed us up for it thinking it was a little 1-2 hour thing. I didn't realize it was 2 hours away, though. Looks like we'll be gone all day! It's one of those that we prepaid a month or so ago, so I can't back out (... well, I can, but I'd be out a whopping $9.00. ). Our dog unexpectedly has to go to the vet in the morning (sort of an emergency, but not quite... if we don't get her in soon, it will be, though). Dh is going to try to get her in, but if he can't, we'll have to skip our field trip to do it. Ben's upset about that, but hey... that's life.

The rest of the week is school as usual. We're meeting a friend from his HS group at the library on Thursday, and he has physical therapy on Friday. I need to make a doc appointment in there sometime, too... although, it'll probably get pushed to another week. I'll need to find a babysitter, and that's easier to do after PS gets out.
What kind of field trips do you do. We do alot of field trips. I believe it is a great teaching tool. Use the field trips for my lesson plans all the time.

I am always looking for new ideas for trips.
May 17th, 2010, 10:47 AM
Yes.. 9 dance classes and 9 karate.. today we spend almost 3 hours at the studio ,the kids have 5 classes today,but since I work there I also work while they are in class. Then we have 2 classes on tuesdays, 2 ( one mid morning and one afternoon) on Thursdays, then karate Declan takes twice a week, Taejan also ( Declan helps teach Taejan's classes) and Noah goes 5 times a week..luckily in the nice weather Noah rides his bike to and from ( 9 miles round trip..he does that twice on tuesdays and twice on Thursday once on Saturdays).. oh and we have Jui Jitsu on Friday's for Declan...
May 17th, 2010, 12:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by momangel09 View Post
We are going to test next week to see how we are doing...

What kind of field trips do you do.
Good luck with testing!

As for field trips... we do some with our HS group and some alone. Ones with the group have been the recycling center, berry picking (today's trip), wildflower center, um... state history museum, um... oh! there was a really cool one that they did but we weren't able to attend... it was a pioneer days festival thing with all sorts of old fashion crafts, foods, tours, etc. ... pretty much anything within an hour of the city is fair game. There are little outings we've done as well (things that take like, and hour to do, not all day). We did the post office, and we've got a tour of a grocery store coming up in a couple of weeks. We're working on others.

Things we've done alone are mostly museums and the planetarium, but we've also done little things like meeting a police officer and looking at his car, or meeting firemen and looking inside the fire truck. We have reciprocal memberships to all sorts of museums, so even when we're visiting my family out of state, we're able to go to science/history or children's museums there. We also like to do things in nature. Like, my dad's big on bass fishing, so when we're there, we like to take the kids boating. Ben got to drive the bass boat at 60 mph when he was 3. I didn't learn to drive one until I was 9, but he's still too short to "drive". He was just steering and running the hand throttle a bit.

What types of trips do you do?

Hey Alison... question for you...

We have 5 kids at church who just got black belts on Saturday. They're all 7 years old and started when they were 4. I'd talked to Ben's therapist about starting him in karate this Fall, and she said it would be good for his motor skills, BUT when I talked to these parents, they all said if they had it to do over again, they would've started at around age 9-ish instead, because while their kids DO have black belts, it's not something they're physically able to do as well as a high schooler because their motor skills are still at the level of a 7 year old. Also, they told me it got very time-consuming and expensive very fast (like $400/mo). It's a sport that sucks you in. Do you agree with all that? Is it really better to start karate in the pre-teen years than in the early elementary years? Now I'm thinking of doing YMCA soccer instead. The issue is finding something non-competitive that helps individual motor skills without the team suffering. I don't want other kids being held back because Ben's not able to play on their level, ya' know?
May 17th, 2010, 04:47 PM
The style my boys take is NOT fast paced..and they and they can not get their black belts until they are 16 years old..i would never ever put a kid into a style that allows black belts at 7..um.. no.. ( Okinawan Karate School of Pittsfield MA ). Declan has been taking since he was 4.5 and has been in a class he could get a rank in since a little after 5.. so in 3 years of ranking years he's gone white,white with yellow, yellow, yellow with blue, blue, blue with green and now Green. up until the green belt they test in class..from green on they have to be invited to a very formal test... Technique is very important and being very precise is the only way they will rank up.

Also any karate that wants to suck that much money for one kid..no way.. we pay $74 for Noah ( adult..can go as many times as he wants a week to karate and once a week to MMA or Jui Jitsu) $64 a month for Declan..twice a week to karate and once a week to Jui Jitsu and $54 a month for Taejan ( twice a week to karate).. Declan being not even 8 and a green belt is unheard of..normally kids are 9+ before they reach that rank..and most kids under 9 only go once a week..he's been going twice a week for 2 years. Once they hit 9 they must go twice a week.

Noah didn't start until he was 13.5 and he has to take breaks due to wrestling and various injuries..he tests for his green belt Sunday ( yes Declan outranks him for a few more days..lol).. his major advantage it he can get his black belt on schedule where Declan will have years from when he gets his brown belt ( which is just 2 more ranks) to when he can be a black belt. BUT like I said in this style.at this dojo being this high ranking at 8 is just very unusual..Declan is a karate prodigy. He is very much focused like no other kid in his class..i hate when other parents compare their kid to him because he his NOT the norm..Karate is just HIS thing.. he's never not won first place at a tournament.. even against kids much older than he is.

Taejan is proving to be very much like Declan, he has been asked to move up to the next level ( starts Wed) and by age he shouldn't til 5..but he's good and above the 3 and 4 year olds in his non rankable class.

We choose to send the younger boys twice a week..for Declan he loves it..it's his "happy place" and when he got his green belt this fall he wanted to Sempi ( senior student teacher) in the "cranes" classes ,Taejan was already in that once a week and since we were now going to both classes so Declan could teach we just had Taejan go twice a week also. Most of the kids in Declan class only go once a week. In fact Declan will move up to the next class very soon even though by age he has another 9 months simply because there is no one in his classes that is even close to his rank ( he will test for brown stripes very soon) so he has no one to work with.

Oh and add to my week we now have a B-day party Fri nite and Saturday afternoon to attend..
May 17th, 2010, 07:41 PM
See... that's what *I* thought! I'd never heard of anyone that young having a black belt!! I didn't realize there were different styles of karate. I don't know what they're doing. I know we watched a little promo thing one time where the kids were using those (spelling??) num-chucks? (LOL... the stick things connected by a chain). I thought it was weird for them to teach that so young.

The studio we were looking into has a class for 4-6 years that is just a basics class. They have a "belt" system of sorts, but we were told it's not a real belt progression. It's just something to motivate the kids to work harder. The real class is for 7-13 (beginning) and 13-adult (advanced). Does that sound about right?

Either way, I'm questioning whether I even want to do it now. All the studios in this area (even the rec center) start at 4 (rec center is 3). Seems like you'd need to be at least 7-9 to start?
May 18th, 2010, 04:01 AM
Oh man on the weapons...our dojo does not teach that to anyone..our style is called "empty hands " ( translation) so no weapons,

Taejan started at 4.. they can start at 3.5 but the 3.5-5 year old are in a foundation class only...they learn and get a star for good behavior then 15, 25,35 classes of good behavior gets them a gold star for the Gi. 5 and up they can earn belts..but to give you and idea.. Taejan will start the older class wed..but it will take a min of 10-15 classes before he will get his 1st rank..then each next rank is about twice as long as the last til they get to Declan's rank.
May 18th, 2010, 05:01 AM
Super Mommy
Miguel did lil. dragons for a while. It was a good program for little kids but after 2 years he had not progressed at all so we stopped for about a year now he wants back in but I cant find MMA here because DH liked doing MMA.

As for this week: today home school used curriculum fair nothing else planned.
May 18th, 2010, 06:01 AM
Our Dojo does MMA and Jui Jitsu....Noah does MMA once in awhile..Declan does Jui Jitsu once a week.
May 18th, 2010, 08:08 AM
Platinum Supermommy
For this week: yesterday was normal stuff and then we visited with friends, tonight my oldest has a reward/celebration ceremony for her soccer. Tomorrow is normal and then church, Thursday is normal and then soccer practice and friday we don't have anything planned yet so we will probably just stay home for the evening.

May 19th, 2010, 08:42 AM
Tofu Bacon
This is our first week back at homeschooling (we took about 6 weeks off, due to moving). We're reading the book Madeline, while making rabbit trails through France, using a ruler, and performing an appendectomy... on a torso-shaped slice of bread
May 19th, 2010, 10:12 AM
Sandra314's Avatar Homeschooling Mom
Send a message via Yahoo to Sandra314
Hi everyone.

We have been busying battling the heavy rains we got since last Friday. Hubby and I had to acquire a water pump to drain the overflow of water so that it would not flood our home. We lost some plants due to the weather and our patio got flooded so I am cleaning up the mess left behind from the storms this week. Thankfully there is no rain in the forecast for the rest of the week.

We did little homeschooling last week due to the weather so this week we are continuing our Dinosaur unit study. The boys are enjoying the books from our booklist and making Dino crafts.

I have been working on decluttering our laundry room. I have already organized the boys' closet of clothing and I really need to tackle the Laundry room.

I hope everyone has a good week!

Married for 14+ years to the love of my life. Currently TTCing.
May 19th, 2010, 12:55 PM
Hey! Good to hear from you! Hope everything settles down quickly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frugal Abundance View Post
and performing an appendectomy... on a torso-shaped slice of bread
That sounds fun!
May 19th, 2010, 08:54 PM
Tofu Bacon
LOL, I've kind of had it up to here with Five In A Row, as its driven me to pull these oddball "lessons" like this out of a hat, literally at the eleventh hour.
May 20th, 2010, 05:04 PM
TaraJo29's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Boxes, boxes, boxes! We are packing up over here. I am getting so excited / nervous / stressed out about moving. I'm heading to my parents' house with the U-Haul the end of next week.

We're going through all our STUFF and getting rid of everything we can part with, giving back stuff we've borrowed, etc. Fun, fun.

Not getting much homeschooling done around here lately. But oh well, I'm not terribly worried about it. I'll probably continue with some at my mom's house once we are settled.

[/url]

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search