Getting so frustrated... (vent)

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 17th, 2010, 12:38 PM
Super Mommy
He's taking hour and generally not doing any of his work. He'd rather sit at the table talking to himself, breaking pencils, dropping his work, tearing at the covers of his books then actually do anything. I feel I've tried everything. I'm at the point where I don't want to continue HS like this but it's in his hands.

This behavior carries on to everything. He's free Saturday art class gives him his own teacher so he's occupied and not shoving art pieces in peoples face for them to see. We just recently moved and most of the kids already refuse to play with him. We had to explain that one of the kids that plays with him doesn't hate him just because he plays with another kid and that more than two people can play together at the same time.

DH wants to send him to PS part-time for just art, music and chorus but I'm worried that it'll become a huge issue.

Any idea's would be greatly appreciated.
May 17th, 2010, 12:54 PM
BensMom's Avatar Ephesians 4:29
Ben's like that, but ONLY when it comes to math. He hates math. The only things that get him through it are (1) helping him step-by-step on every problem (even ones I'm 110% sure he can do by himself in his sleep), (2) making it fun (like rolling dice for add/sub rather than using paper and pencil), and/or (3) doing math right before something he really WANTS to do like latin or reading. If he knows "dessert" (as he calls it) is next on the list, he'll eat the math broccoli just to appease me. The 3rd one is usually enough. I reserve 1 and 2 for really bad days, because I don't want him to expect me to spoon feed everything to him. OH! Another one that works... I tell him (for example) if he has 4 lines of 7 problems, he can do only the first line (or two, depending on how much practice he needs) if he does them quickly without help. If he takes forever and keeps asking for help, we'll do the whole page. It's amazing how quickly he gets it done (correctly) when I say that. I'm not the type to drill and drill something he already knows, so if he proves to me that he can do one line very quickly without mistakes, I know he knows it well enough to move on. If not, it tells me he's either being stubborn or he really DOES need my help with it. I don't mind helping, of course. I just don't want him being so dependent that I can't tell what he does/doesn't know.

Last edited by BensMom; May 17th, 2010 at 12:56 PM.
May 17th, 2010, 03:30 PM
JustAKrazymom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to JustAKrazymom Send a message via MSN to JustAKrazymom
This isn't new correct? he's pretty much always been like that since I started posting with you.. sounds like a pattern of behavior. Maybe Homeschooling just isn't going to work.. it's not worth the massive frustrations IMO.. maybe enroll him in school.. my friend did this when her son started acting up after years of being a model HS'er.. 4 weeks in school and he begged to come back home..he saw how good he had it being homeschooled.
May 17th, 2010, 11:52 PM
Super Mommy
Miguel doesn't seem to really like anything long enough to care to get his work done. Even when we tell him after we're going to get ice cream, go to the park, play games, or watch a movie. I can't really exclude anything because it's so little to begin with at most 15 questions.

My reservations about full time public school is 1/2 day summer camp was a nightmare. I was called several times because of his behavior or being over emotional. After a week he was begging not to go (still made him finish the camp) and screaming/crying about not having any friends. That was suppose to be a fun thing. By the end of it only one camp counselor would deal with him. He thinks that was school and begs not to go there (day camp was located in a school). On a really bad day if we go out he actually worries that we are taking him there. I'm hoping if we do part-time and it does work he'll see it's not this horrible place. I honestly feel things will get worse if he goes to public school.

He just seems to be really, really suborn like 4 years of this hasn't taught him that we refuse to do anything else before his work is done. Though the two Tuesdays a month he gets out of doing school work seem to have a great effect on him thinking everyday will be like that.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search