Abeka vs Horizons

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 17th, 2010, 07:40 PM
Veteran
Hi Everyone! I'm new here, this is actually my first post on the homeschooling board I have a question for everyone!

I started ordering some of the kids curriculum for the upcoming school year. I'm stuck between Abeka and Horizons. I used Abeka for my 9 year old when he was in 2nd grade and I loved it. But then for my 7 year old, I used Horizons for her in 1st grade and loved that too. Last year we placed all the children back into public school. I needed a chance to breath and get my priorities in the right order. Come the fall, the kiddos will be back home and I need to make a decision about which math to choose. Hubby says it's up to me as I'm the one that will be working with the kids. Any advice on which one you think is better? My kiddos will be going into 2nd and 4th grade!

Thanks Ladies!!!
Baby Emma born 11/11/10 and Baby Bean Due 10/02/11
May 17th, 2010, 07:47 PM
BensMom's Avatar Ephesians 4:29
I like both as well. Horizons math is a little more fast-paced than Abeka, but both are faster paced than public school, so It's your choice. Abeka has more Christian content than Horizons, so if you have a preference there, that's something to think about as well. I used Abeka for several months and liked it for the most part, but my son didn't really like it. I was "this" close to buying Horizons when I stumbled onto Rod & Staff. I LIKE Horizons better than R&S, but my son does better with R&S for now, so that's what we're sticking with.

Sorry... I'm not very helpful, huh? Welcome to the board!
May 17th, 2010, 08:08 PM
Veteran
Thanks for trying It's tough when you like two things. I think the Abeka is a bit more structured than the Horizon's too. I'll have to check out R&S, I forgot about them! Thank you for reminding me and thank you for the welcome
Baby Emma born 11/11/10 and Baby Bean Due 10/02/11

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search