Public School Sports

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 18th, 2010, 10:08 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I'm just curious if any of your public schools allow homeschoolers to participate in sports, choir, clubs, etc..?

The homeschoolers in my town have been fighting tooth and nail to be allowed into these activities but the school board keeps saying no.

There have been several public meetings, speeches given by homeschooled teens and their parents, petitions, and lots of local press on the issue but the board won't give in. One of the board members said he is voting NO because he doesn't want to be a pioneer. ??

There has also been a lot of negative public reaction. People in town saying we (homeschoolers) don't deserve to participate- that we made our decision to keep them out of school so we shouldn't be allowed to use the school for anything.
A few have support us since we pay taxes whether we send our kids to school or not.

What do you think? Would you want your kids to participate in public school extracurriculars? Do your schools allow it?

SciGuy,14 Butterfly Girl,12 Wyldchild,7 FlowerFairy,5 and Babybird,3

and RK, 13, exchange student from Japan

My Homeschooling Blog:
May 18th, 2010, 10:45 AM
Veteran
Our public schools have no choice but to allow it. Pennsylvania passed a law that the school districts have to consider homeschooler's just like they would a public school student.

One thing I think is extremely odd here in Pennsylvania, traditional homeschoolers are allowed to enroll in our Vo-tech program but Cyber schooled children are not allowed to That rule just doesn't make sense to me because the public schools actually get a credit for each cyber schooled child they have in their district. Silly laws...
Baby Emma born 11/11/10 and Baby Bean Due 10/02/11
May 18th, 2010, 11:49 AM
JustAKrazymom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to JustAKrazymom Send a message via MSN to JustAKrazymom
we just won the right for cut sports..we've always had it for non-cut sports. Sad to say though the few kids who are now on teams are not having an easy time..the coaches do NOT treat them right.
May 18th, 2010, 11:52 AM
TaraJo29's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I think homeschoolers should absolutely have the right to programs, activities, clubs, and sports... even gym equipment maybe.

We do pay school taxes and isn't the essence of something being "public" mean that it is for PUBLIC (everyone's) use if they so choose?

The PUBLIC library is there for us to use. Just because some people barely ever use it doesn't mean they don't have the RIGHT to use it whenever it's open. The reason it exists is because citizens pay collective taxes to provide for its building and operation.

The same goes for a PUBLIC school. We can send our kids there daily if we want for instruction. We have that right. Just because we decide not to use that right, doesn't mean we have no right to have them participate in sports.

What is the school concerned about? Are they there for the children of the community's education and well-being, or are they out to vengefully isolate children whose parents critique them by not letting them use the school's other programs?

I know of no valid reason they could refuse to allow homeschoolers the right to make use of public school programs as long as the child met reasonable requirements (age, skills required to participate in a club, etc).

[/url]

May 18th, 2010, 03:59 PM
BensMom's Avatar Ephesians 4:29
Ours allows participation in everything except UIL competitions.
May 18th, 2010, 05:46 PM
~ Ada ~'s Avatar Zen
Our local sports program is run through Parks & Recreation so everyone in the town is allowed to participate, but your school board and those parents refusing are beyond ridiculous. Do you have groups or co-ops that may offer sporting activities? If there is enough interest could you maybe start a homeschool league? I just signed up my son's and daughter with a Pop Warner football and cheerleading teams since I want my youngest in tackle and not flag football which at his age (5) is all the town offers.

A family is a place where minds come in contact with one another.
If these minds love one another the home will be as beautiful as a flower garden.
But if these minds get out of harmony with one another it is like a storm that plays havoc with the garden.

~ Buddha

May 18th, 2010, 08:20 PM
Super Mommy
I'm hoping that he'll take art, music, band and chorus this coming up year.
May 19th, 2010, 05:29 AM
Mega Super Mommy
All of it started because one teenager wanted to join the school's speech and debate teams. Of course the homeschooling community has come out to support her and ask that they too be able to join teams.
I don't know what the school board is afraid of. Some of these kids that want to join are super talented and will only benefit the school by joining. It's a shame that they can't see that it's the right thing to do. The "I don't want to be a pioneer" is a pitiful excuse in my opinion.
If your schools are accepting homeschoolers on their teams, then I see no reason why ours cannot.

SciGuy,14 Butterfly Girl,12 Wyldchild,7 FlowerFairy,5 and Babybird,3

and RK, 13, exchange student from Japan

My Homeschooling Blog:
May 19th, 2010, 07:34 AM
~FaRRaH~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to ~FaRRaH~
maryland doesnt allow it, i inquired with the homeschool board (they oversee homeschooler to access their compliance) and she said Izzie could not participate its an all in or all out. i think if they offer testing with the other students then why not art, gym class, etc...

Islam Jr. 09-20-2003 * Sumaiya-Alee 09-07-2007 * Angel Baby 01-08-2010
May 19th, 2010, 07:48 AM
Platinum Supermommy
i'll have to ask around, I am not for sure. I know in our area there are some homeschool sports leagues and choir and band so we will probably just go that route.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search