State Standards

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 19th, 2010, 07:14 AM
in_mommy's Avatar I am just me
I was curious on how many of you print off and go by your state's standards or if you just don't worry about it, well I guess it just applies for those in states where you have the freedom to that.
May 19th, 2010, 07:51 AM
Platinum Supermommy
We are in OK so we have no requirements, but we are homeschooling to give them a better education than the school systems around can. So we exceed those standards.
A-6yrs 3/08
J-4.5yrs 11/09
K 2.5yrs 9/11
And
L-7/12/14!!!!

May 19th, 2010, 08:23 AM
JustAKrazymom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to JustAKrazymom Send a message via MSN to JustAKrazymom
Yeah that..I do not even look at our state frameworks.. I have a few moms in our group that live by them..if I wanted that they would be in school. I do use the worldbook and or the what your xx grader should know as a reference but we are aiming for better than public school around here..
May 19th, 2010, 08:39 AM
Tofu Bacon
I'm in NY, so once first grade starts, homeschooling is pretty heavily-regulated (LOTS of paperwork), but the district does send a packet with all of the information we need.
May 19th, 2010, 08:58 AM
esparando para bebé's Avatar Proud Car Seat Technician
Send a message via AIM to esparando para bebé Send a message via Yahoo to esparando para bebé
Lurker here. We're not hs-ing yet, but will. We plan on printing the SOL's and using them as a guideline, but will not be heavily focusing on them like they do in public school.

Thanks to Jaidynsmum for my siggy!
Proud former foster parent to a teen. Waiting on our next call. Proud Aunt to 22.
Proud mommy to 7 angels. Survivor of 4 failed adoptions (5 kids)
May 19th, 2010, 09:43 AM
BensMom's Avatar Ephesians 4:29
Nope. Too much legal jargon. I refer to it when I have a question, and I compare it to tests, but I don't use it as a guide or standard.
May 19th, 2010, 09:52 AM
Super Mommy
No, Miguel took the DOMA and DORA which compares it to the state requirements automatically. He scored around his level or higher so I'm not concerned. He will be taking it every year. I feel that it's easier to concentrate on just where he's at not where he should be. The start requirements seem to be written to make parents feel that it's complicated and there's more learning that goes into school then really is. When I right my curriculum outline I use there Fotomat so it sounds more educational then it really is.
May 19th, 2010, 10:21 AM
Regular
We test our kids with the state test but we do not use the standards to teach them. I use the standards just as a reference to make sure we cover what we should be covering.

Like alot of the other mom's here we go well beyond the standards. We also do religion which is not a test subject.

I have 3 children that are adults and have got state diplomas that I have homeschooled. The oldest is in the army, the next is a police officer, the oldest daughter is in college. The twin girls will both be going to college in the fall of 2011.
May 19th, 2010, 01:52 PM
TaraJo29's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I dig out my state standard documents when I write up my IHIP and to make sure I cover everything NY state requires in a given year so we are all legal. I consider their standards a "minimum" and then we can go as far beyond that as we like. I just don't want to anyone to have a bone to pick just because I didn't report that I covered Health or something dumb. That's as far as I go with it.

[/url]

May 19th, 2010, 02:01 PM
Mega Super Mommy
At this point I know the curriculums I want to use (unless I find something I like better before we get there), and I know that they at least meet, and mostly exceed the VA SOLs. However, there are some GREAT lesson plans available on the site that has the SOLs, so I might make use of them when we're studying related areas.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search