Off-topic question about buying a house

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 19th, 2010, 01:40 PM
TaraJo29's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hope you don't mind this random non-homeschooling question.

ANYway, we are moving out by June 1 and want to buy a house by the end of this summer. In the meantime, though, I am going to have to stay at my parents' in PA and my dh is going to stay at his parents' in NY. I am SOO unhappy about this because our family will be separated, the kids will miss daddy, I will be living with my parents for a month or 2... just the whole thing STINKS. Dh doesn't want to get an apartment b/c 1) it would have to be a month to month lease which would admittedly be hard to find, 2) it means spending more money on rent, 3) it means buying another car (right now we only have 1) so I can live in an apartment in PA and he can stay up here and work until he gets a job in PA.

Sigh... SOooo... if you're still reading... I guess my main question is, is it even POSSIBLE to buy a house in PA (i.e. will a bank give us the loan?) before my husband has secured employment in PA? (He would still work up here in NY until he got a job in PA and could move in with me.) Would the bank do that?? If they would, would it be completely insane for us to do that?

I am SO stressed out about this moving thing and the possibility of living with my parents for 2 months or more WITH my 4 kids, until we can buy a house. Just trying to look at all the options.

thanks in advance.

[/url]

May 19th, 2010, 02:05 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Whether the bank would give you a loan or not would depend on how much (if any debt) you already have. There are a lot of banks willing to do 0-down right now, which makes purchasing a house a lot easier, and honestly, there's no reason they shouldn't allow you to purchase a house without your DH having a job in the state the house is in, because they allow people to purchase all over the place (I know people who own houses in a number of different places, and never lived in some of those places at all). It's definitely worth looking into!
May 19th, 2010, 02:22 PM
BensMom's Avatar Ephesians 4:29
Yep. It really depends on the bank's policies and how risky they feel your situation is. You could definitely try, though. People get houses like that all the time!
May 19th, 2010, 04:36 PM
Wow. Hmm. Yeah, my husband said the same thing about other people buying 2nd and 3rd houses. I wonder if you tell them it will be your primary residence if they will hesitate more? Then again, maybe they don't care if you are currently employed and don't have any history of gaps in your employment or something.

Maybe this is worth a second-thought then. Thanks for the input!

[/url]

May 19th, 2010, 05:04 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I think as long as your credit is good, they wouldn't care what state he is working in. He could be commuting for all they know/care. As long as he has a job and steady income.
Good luck!

SciGuy,14 Butterfly Girl,12 Wyldchild,7 FlowerFairy,5 and Babybird,3

and RK, 13, exchange student from Japan

My Homeschooling Blog:
May 20th, 2010, 05:00 PM
hm. Thanks! My dad has given me a lecture on how totally wrong this scenario would be and how the bank won't do it. But you guys are making me feel a little better. I think ideally you would have a job in place BEFORE you move, but in our situation that is really difficult.

[/url]

May 20th, 2010, 05:28 PM
BensMom's Avatar Ephesians 4:29
It won't be easy, and yes, there are some (probably most) that WON'T do it. You can probably find someone who will, though. You may have a higher rate, but who knows? Maybe not?
May 21st, 2010, 11:22 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Doesn't hurt to call around and ask! :-)

SciGuy,14 Butterfly Girl,12 Wyldchild,7 FlowerFairy,5 and Babybird,3

and RK, 13, exchange student from Japan

My Homeschooling Blog:

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search