Reading...

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 19th, 2010, 08:34 PM
mom2mande's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My 4 year old has apraxia which is a speech disorder and I am wondering if anyone has any advice on how to help one with speech problems read. My 3 older kids were reading at his age and honestly all I used was the book "Teach your child to read in 100 easy lessons" With him I know speaking doesn't come easy so it's going to be tough I think to teach him to read. I just kind of get stressed about it and feel like if he can't even say a word then how is he going to read it. We read books constantly but eventually I don't feel like that is going to be enough. He is currently in a special ed preschool with our school district but do to budget cuts what they are proposing for next year is just a waste of time imo. So therefore we are going back to private therapy starting next week.
May 19th, 2010, 08:51 PM
Tofu Bacon
I wasn't crazy about that book either. Do you think he is ready to start writing? The Waldorf approach is to hold off on formal reading instruction until about age 7, and instead focus on learning to write letters, their sounds, as well as word families. We did this with ds and he is able to sound out quite a few words on his own, and is also able to write words if we spell them out for him. We didn't use any specific curriculum, but instead I used the alphabet letter games on this site Learn to Read with phonics and made mini-books for each letter on this site Alphabet Preschool Activities and Crafts .

Also, I'm not sure how keen you are about TV, but PBS Kids has actually been a great learning tool for ds, particularly Super Why and Word World. He also likes to play the games on the PBS Kids website.
May 19th, 2010, 09:01 PM
BensMom's Avatar Ephesians 4:29
Ditto the PBS. I also like Between the Lions.

Speech doesn't have anything to do with reading if you think of it from the deaf perspective. Have you looked into ways that deaf schools teach reading? I haven't, but I bet the private therapist or a deaf school would have suggestions that most people wouldn't think of. I've never worked with a speech therapist. Ben sees occupational and physical only. I do SEE speech therapists while we're there, though. I see how they interact with kids, so I know they're very knowledgable. They work with reading. I've seen it (the end result, as they're talking to parents in the lobby). I just don't know the how's of it when they're in the back with a child.
May 20th, 2010, 03:42 AM
mom2mande's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I know in a way speech doesn't have to do anything with reading as he might be able to read silently but even then it's like how do I know he is reading if he can't communicate. A year ago his main form of communication was sign language. I will definitely be talking about it with his speech pathologist. A friend of mine shared the link readingeggs.com and it looks really neat!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search