Curriculum Choices

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 23rd, 2010, 01:11 AM
HeavensMom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
For my older dd (age 7), starting third grade:

Reading: R&S
Writing: Handwriting Without Tears
Language Arts: R&S
Math: Abeka
Science: Apologia Science (Astronomy and Botany)
Social Studies: R&S
Bible: the bible class that BensMom posted about (it looks great!)
Spanish: Classical Academic Press - Spanish for Children

Okay, am I missing any subjects? Which of these fall under English or should I do each subject different like I have listed (I took these subjects from the what your third grader should know). What are your opinions with the choices? I have looked at several review sites, your opinions here as well as the HS board on DS.

Oh and just a little about my dd, maybe it will help to know if these are good choices for us. We put my dd into a private K at age 4 because she was already reading and well above preschool level. She (so far) has always scored the highest on all state testing for each grade she's been in (out of her school). She LOVES learning and school and would do it all day if it was her choice! Her strongest subject is science and her weakest is math. The only problem she had it math this year was with fractions, it took her a while to understand this and still needs a little help with it. I think she's an even mixture of both a hands on learner and a textbook learner.

Thank you again for all of your help!!

From now until 2/29, donating HALF of all proceeds to Olly
Free giftcards?!? Swagbucks
May 23rd, 2010, 06:21 AM
BensMom's Avatar Ephesians 4:29
Looks great to me. A word of caution, though... Abeka tends to lead the pack (along with Horizons) when it comes to math. They're 6-18 months ahead of other companies out there. If she struggles with it, you may want to switch to R&S. It's a slower curriculum (for math only), and tends to be right in line with state standards.

R&S English is what we'll be using, but if you don't like it, I'd suggest Shurley for the following year.

Do you plan to do spelling, art, or music?

Gotta run... I'll be back later.
May 23rd, 2010, 09:18 AM
HeavensMom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Yes, and I forgot to add those subjects, thank you! Oh and the R&S is just under the title of English, what does that cover (reading, writing, language arts, none of these?). Thank you again!

From now until 2/29, donating HALF of all proceeds to Olly
Free giftcards?!? Swagbucks
May 23rd, 2010, 10:35 AM
BensMom's Avatar Ephesians 4:29
The english book is grammar (nouns, verbs, etc.) It doesn't cover reading. There is some writing involved, but not like story writing or research papers. Are you looking for something for vocabulary, comprehension, writing (not penmanship), etc.?

For spelling, I'd suggest either Sequential Spelling (what we're using), All About Spelling (great, but expensive), or Spelling Power (haven't used it, but it's one of the Cathy Duffy Top 100's).

Music could be something like piano lessons, or it could be like an elementary "music class" where you introduce styles, instruments, composers, and traditional songs.

Art can be things you find on the internet or at the library, or it could be a published curriculum's book.

Last edited by BensMom; May 23rd, 2010 at 10:37 AM.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search