Your choice of curriculum for the year?

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 24th, 2010, 01:38 AM
HeavensMom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I have looked and looked and looked again but I didn't find a post about this. What grades are your kids going in (or already in for year round) and what is the curriculum for each subject you are using this year? I'm still trying to research my options!

From now until 2/29, donating HALF of all proceeds to Olly
Free giftcards?!? Swagbucks
May 24th, 2010, 04:32 AM
RachaelDMommaTo3's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to RachaelDMommaTo3 Send a message via Yahoo to RachaelDMommaTo3
We are starting first grade and will be using a mix of Horizons and LifePacs.
Language arts, Spelling & Vocab, and Math will be Horizons. Science and social studies will be LifePacs.

May 24th, 2010, 05:22 AM
BensMom's Avatar Ephesians 4:29
We've just started 2nd.

Summer - Spectrum Reading, some random junk from walmart for handwriting, R&S Math (actually finishing up 1st because we got a delayed start on it), Spectrum 3rd Geography, Song School Latin, Abeka 1st & 2nd Health

Fall - R&S English, Latin for Children A, Sequential Spelling 1, Mystery of History 1, Abeka Art, Music (my own curriculum... that was my major in college), R&S Math 2, Rainbow Lessons for Bible, Handwriting w/o Tears, Apologia Zoology 2

Spring - only changes from Fall will be the Bible link I gave you, and we'll switch to Zoology 3
May 24th, 2010, 05:46 AM
Tofu Bacon
Ds is starting kindergarten and we're going to use My Father's World as our core curriculum, and Teach Them Spanish for foreign language. We're going to start in August so we'll be able to take off the month of December, when Bun is born.

Last edited by Tofu Bacon; May 24th, 2010 at 05:52 AM.
May 24th, 2010, 07:36 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I will have a K'er and a 1st grader.

K'er will barely be four so we are just taking it at her pace, she will be using.

Ordinary parents guide to teaching reading- reading obviously
horizons math
Startwrite software to make up my own handwriting sheets.
A bible program of some sort (maybe Bible study for all ages)

She will have the option to participate in older sis's science and history.

1st grader:

Ordinary parents guide to teaching reading
First Language lessons- Grammar
Writing with Ease- Writing
may be doing Writeshop primary A after she is reading well for working on developing creative writing skills.
Spelling Workout
Start Write software- for handwritng

Horizons Math

Story of the World 1

Apologia Astronomy

R&S Art

Bible (again not sure whatever we use with sister)
A-6yrs 3/08
J-4.5yrs 11/09
K 2.5yrs 9/11
And
L-7/12/14!!!!

May 24th, 2010, 08:09 AM
Veteran
I have a 2nd grader and a 4th grader. We'll be using Abeka for everything. We too are starting in August so when Baby Bean comes in November we can take some time off for everyone (especially me) to adjust.
Baby Emma born 11/11/10 and Baby Bean Due 10/02/11
May 24th, 2010, 08:34 AM
christianmommato3's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to christianmommato3 Send a message via Yahoo to christianmommato3
we are starting back August 9th.
preschooler- Abeka workbooks and misc. workbooks. teaching letters/numbers/colors/shapes
3rd grade and 5th grade- Horizon Math; Christian Liberty Press for reading, bible, spelling, writing, and reading; Abeka for history, science, art, geography, and language arts

May 24th, 2010, 08:52 AM
Super Mommy
Miguel is re-entering 3rd grade because we moved states. We home-school year round but I really hope he does not get through this much stuff in a year.

Math- Singapore primary mathematics standards edition 4B-6B work books. Life of Fred: fractions, decimals & percent, and beginning Algebra.
Physics- Physics matters text, Noeo Physics II
English- EIW Fables myths and fairy Tales, Sequential speller 1-2, Hewitt's Lightning Literature and Composition American Literature: Early - Mid 19th Century & American Literature:Mid - Late 19th Century, Word wise and Free reading books.
Social studies- tale of America A History of US, lap books, and reports
PE- Soccer, Karate, swimming lessons
Art- Saturday art
Shop-Home depot monthly projects
Spanish- powerspeak high school Spanish 1 ( first 1/2 of 2 ??)
Robotics- Jr F.i.r.s.t. lego league
May 24th, 2010, 09:39 AM
Amaranth Dhanya's Avatar aka Hillarie
Send a message via Yahoo to Amaranth Dhanya
I will have a first grader and a pre-k(er).

My oldest child will be continuing reading/writing exercises throughout the summer but we wont resume several subjects a day til fall(although Im sure Ill do brief reviews from time to time about some things throughout the summer). I plan on starting mid-late August.

Im using Lesson Pathways as a base and will be using their curriculum for all subjects(english, math, social studies, science) and adjust for my children where needed.

~My thanks to *Kiliki* for the siggy and Lucy S for the blinkies~
May 24th, 2010, 10:05 AM
TaraJo29's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I will have a 1st grader and 2nd grader.

I'm using...

Apologia Science: Exploring Creation with Astronomy
Math-U-See (Alpha & Beta)
US History story book (sorry, I can't remember the name right now!)
Hillyer's Children's History of the World
Evan-moor's Grammar & Punctuation
Explode the Code (reading / phonics)
Song School Latin

I may have forgotten some but that is the main stuff, I think.

[/url]

May 24th, 2010, 03:13 PM
AmAnDaMo's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
MUS and Singapore for math
Sonlight for history/geography and science
Progressive Phonics to introduce new phonics rules and various readers to practice those rules
ETC more for spelling/handwriting practice than anything else at this point

I'm thinking about adding in Sonlight LA in the fall.

She's 4, so I don't really assign her a grade.

May 24th, 2010, 03:57 PM
JustAKrazymom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to JustAKrazymom Send a message via MSN to JustAKrazymom
I will have a Kindergartener,2nd grader,3/4th grader and 11th grader.. I can't even begin to type out what we will use and they don't all use the same stuff for each subject..
May 24th, 2010, 07:39 PM
therevslady's Avatar Built for Birth
Nev is in the first grade-

Over the summer we are just using Progressive Phonics and I am supplementing with my own materials. I also use this program for handwriting, along with other free worksheets online. She is also involved in a summer reading program at the library. I am also teaching with a math curriculum that I designed for her.

I use abcteach resources to supplement and help me design her worksheets and workbook type materials. I use a few templates, but I have put together a lot of the material so that it reinforces each subject.

She'll be taking piano with a friend as well over the summer. She does art daily.

Starting in the fall, we will add science- My curriculum, along with a science camp at the zoo.

Spanish- rosetta stone

Social Studies- My curriculum

Bible- We use the Godly Play model and supplement with Living The Good News Online Support Site and other free resources.

Grammar- we are introducing a few ideas with different library books and writing activities.

PE- soccer and dance

Aidan is starting to show interest in joining Nevy for school. A couple of days a week, I let him join in art projects and he is learning to hold a crayon and is learning to color. He sits daily for story time and music time.

I really haven't planned outside of the curriculum I have prepared. I want to add additional resources, but we will have to see about finances. I have to use the library for just about everything.

May 27th, 2010, 10:46 AM
KeriMomof2's Avatar Veteran
We use a Online program for both of our kids called Time4Learning

DD going into 3rd grade~ Time4Learning as Core,Story of the world vol 1 -more history- and lots of libary books for additional reading

DS will be starting K in Time4Learning ....lots of reading time together and some educational games online and board
*Keri*I am a Co-sleeping ...Retired-EBF'er "8+years total"...No-circumcision... Non-Vaxing...Home-schooling/Road-schooling ~> College Student Momma, Who loves Blogging<~click to View O' and did I mention I am now a Avon Sales Rep ? www.youravon.com/Keri
May 27th, 2010, 09:06 PM
mater bibit
We're making some changes next year from a traditional classical approach to education to more of a Charlotte Mason kind of approach and will be going with Heart of Dakota for our curriculum at a slightly slower pace. I'll have one in Little Hands to Heaven and one in Little Hearts For His Glory using Singapore Math and Spell to Write and Read plus lots of living books and maybe some other stuff .. depends what is striking DS1s interest. He has plans to learn the violin and has an odd interest in grammar for someone so young but he really wants to be able to write and he is quite the orator and story teller so .. maybe it's related.

ETA: Changed plans already postponing SM until we do Beyond Little Hearts and doing Miquon and some other stuff until then.

Last edited by mater bibit; May 29th, 2010 at 07:52 PM.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search