Scheduling Advice

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 25th, 2010, 11:19 AM
Veteran
Good Afternoon Ladies! I hope I can get some tips and ideas on this topic.

This year we'll have a newborn in November. I'm trying to set up the schedule for next year and I'm having a slight issue. I'd love to be able to take some time off after Baby is born without cutting into the kids learning, not to mention the required days I need to record for the School District. I was wondering for anyone who has had a newborn in the middle of the school year, how much time have you taken off, if any?

I was trying to work it that we could take off from the week before Baby is due until about 2 weeks after I actually have the baby. But considering how unpredictable Baby's arrival is, I'm not quite sure how to do this. Besides, I don't think the kiddos have an 8 weeks break in the middle of the school year is a good idea.

If anyone can offer me some advice or tips I'd really appreciate it.
Thanks Mommas'!
Baby Emma born 11/11/10 and Baby Bean Due 10/02/11
May 25th, 2010, 12:36 PM
BensMom's Avatar Ephesians 4:29
Honestly, I say take whatever you need. When #2 was born, dh took over everything (even housework) for about a month, but really, I felt great. (A million times better than c/s #1!!). However, I had a hysterectomy at 7 wks pp, and then they knicked my bladder, so I had emergency surgery again 4 days later. I was literally on the couch for 2 months after that. I wasn't allowed to do *anything*. Nada. I couldn't even HOLD my newborn. If it weighed more than a small purse or a plate of food, I wasn't allowed to lift it. All I did was sleep. The baby spent a couple of nights and a lot of days away from us. The older spent 3 weeks in AR.

My point is, you can't predict what will happen, and if you try to do too much too soon, you'll be out more time than you planned. Each birth gets easier most of the time, but not always. We ended up taking a break from Nov thru late Jan. I wasn't required to have a certain amount of days, and my only HS'er was at a K level, but I think if you look at your work load in chunks (like semesters or trimesters), you can plan on being at a stopping point when the baby comes, and then pick up where you left off when you're ready. You can also plan for lots of independent work just to keep their minds from turning to mashed potatoes.

When do you plan to start your year? Rather than Sep-Oct-Nov, why not do Aug-Sep-Oct? You could even start in late July to give yourself a little extra wiggle room. Then start back after the new year.

Last edited by BensMom; May 25th, 2010 at 12:53 PM.
May 25th, 2010, 01:18 PM
frgsonmysox's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to frgsonmysox Send a message via MSN to frgsonmysox Send a message via Yahoo to frgsonmysox
I just gave birth about 4 weeks ago and we are planning to start schooling on Monday. I figure I have to be flexible but I think it's doable.
~Beth~ Wife to my Airman Chris, and mommy to: Anthony Nathaniel (8/31/04), Anastasia Fae (8/01/06), Baby C (lost on 10/12/07), David Cillian (7/31/08), Charles George (4/29/10), and Alan Christopher (2/22/12)

My BLOG - A Day In The Life of a Freg (it's a little bit of everything!)
May 26th, 2010, 06:08 AM
Veteran
Thanks Ladies!

I think we'll start mid-July....that way we can use all of November and December if we need to. I figured I can plan the first 90 days in 45 day sections that way I know right where we left off.

Last time we had a newborn, hubby was out of work and homeschooling was easier having him home. Now that he's working 10-12 hour days I am expecting some extra adjustment. I get a little OCD over Pennsylvania law and worry that they are going to storm through my door and take my kids if I'm not doing school the way they think I should be.
May 26th, 2010, 06:12 AM
BensMom's Avatar Ephesians 4:29
Don't worry. They'd never do that unless they think your kids are in danger. If they're just concerned about HS laws, they'll do everything in writing before throwing that big a fit.
May 26th, 2010, 06:18 AM
Veteran
When we went for evaluations for my 9 year old, she told me that I did my job too well. That if I continued making our family's portfolios look as good as they did the schools would come to expect everyone's portfolios to look that way. This year I'm going to do things a bit more relaxed....
May 26th, 2010, 07:01 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Haha, yeah don't ruin it for the rest of the homeschoolers by being too good at those portfolios! :-)

When I was expecting #5, we started the school year early and I planned to take about two weeks off from school after the birth. I give birth at home so there was no hospital stay to account for and I was ready to start school about 2 days after having the baby. I actually had to force myself not to.

What I did though was make an assignment sheet each morning for the oldest kids. That way they had work to do to keep them busy but it was independent work so I was free to rest or take care of littles ones. You could try to have some plans ready for the older kids to do while you're resting or just have some learning activities available- like new board games, library books, craft projects, etc..

I had to have something right away or my kids would have been bored. But if you're kids are happy to have the free time then by all means, take as much time as you need to recover. The important thing for you to focus on will be nurse, rest, nurse, rest, nurse, rest.... :-)

SciGuy,14 Butterfly Girl,12 Wyldchild,7 FlowerFairy,5 and Babybird,3

and RK, 13, exchange student from Japan

My Homeschooling Blog:
May 26th, 2010, 07:46 AM
Veteran
Thank you so much MotherBird! The assignment sheets sound like a wonderful idea! I'm sure my kiddos will be bored if I let them sit too long and that sounds like a great way to avoid it! I've already been asked by my 2nd grader if she can start as soon as she's out of PS....(this is her first year in PS and she's not loving it, long story) lol

Thanks again!
May 26th, 2010, 12:12 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I just took a look at your blog Becky. I'm interested in hearing how your year goes. I'm probably where you were last year. We've been hsing 4 years, but sent one off to public school this year, and will be sending two more next year. I'm super nervous about sending the 7 year old most of all. She will be in 2nd grade and really wants to go. I will be back in school full-time myself next year so it seems the best solution for now. I hope she has a good experience, but I'm so worried that it won't be- or that it will change her somehow, if that makes sense.
Anyway, keep us posted and happy homeschooling! And congrats on your upcoming addition!

My Homeschooling Blog:
May 26th, 2010, 12:42 PM
Veteran
Motherbird - Thank you

I can't say it will be the same for you, I'm sure you know...all kids are different. My oldest loves PS and wants to stay but my youngers have been begging to come home from the day they started. You're situation is a little different than mine was. Basically I felt in over my head and I needed some time to breathe. I felt like I had Mommy burn out, which I probably did and that's exactly what I'm trying to avoid this time around. My daughter is also 7 and was in 2nd grade this year.....Did it change her, yeah a little bit. She has now seen how cruel kids can be and that's one of her biggest reasons for wanting to come back home. Like your daughter, she couldn't wait to go to PS.....
Goodluck with school, yours and your children. I hope they have a good experience as well. My oldest did, but he was in public school before, so was my 9 year old but he just wasn't challenged enough so now he really wants to be here. Lizzie well, she doesn't handle the cruelty very well.

Let us know how everyone is doing next year. I'll keep you in my thoughts and prayers that everyone has a wonderful experience
May 26th, 2010, 01:50 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Thanks, same to you. :-)

My Homeschooling Blog:

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search