Changing my mind on math... AGAIN!

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 25th, 2010, 02:50 PM
BensMom's Avatar Ephesians 4:29
LOL! Ok, so really, I think I've found *the* one this time. I talked to Ben's psychologist back in Feb, and she said he's a visual learner. Well, R&S definitely isn't visual. It's all old-school workbook stuff. Fine, I thought, because he liked ETC so much. It was very cut & dry, and with R&S he could learn all of his fact families quickly, and he'd get extra practice on writing (which has gone GREAT, by the way). The fact families are really the only thing holding him back. He's doing fractions at a 4th grade level. I mean, he "gets" math. He's really good at it conceptually. He just doesn't like seeing a daunting page full of numbers.

So... I found MUS, and thought, "Wow. This is perfect!" ... until I saw the price.

Then I ordered R&S 2nd and 3rd for next year so he could catch up to 2nd Horizons and move on to Horizons 3rd the following year. In the back of my mind, I knew he'd probably hate that, but it was within the budget, and he "says" (with his mouth) that he LOVES R&S (even though his actions tell me otherwise... it's not his style). I even let him try TT, but he didn't like it. He's not very good with the computer yet. He likes blocks, though, so I've been trying to figure out how to afford MUS. RightStart would probably be a great fit, but it's SO different and more expensive than R&S that I didn't want to try it only to have it backfire. I'd rather find it at a curriculum sale or something and take a look at it.

Now I'm ordering Miquon! I've looked at it before, but I didn't "get" it until I read this page. That's how he learns! He likes to dig into a subject (like fractions) without being bogged down by other things. I looked it up on Cathy Duffy's site and I looked at the samples on Sonlight's site. I think it's going to work well. Everything I've read says you're supposed to start over, even if you're wanting to order 2nd grade, so that's what we're doing. I'm ordering the whole set and starting over. We'll work at whatever pace he wants to finish in 2-3 years, and then we'll either brush up with Horizons or move directly into LoF. As much as he wants to do LoF, he'll probably zip through Miquon. Thankfully the entire set is the same price as only 2 years of R&S.

Last edited by BensMom; May 25th, 2010 at 03:00 PM.
May 25th, 2010, 03:14 PM
AmAnDaMo's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I've heard good things about it and thought about ordering it myself as many use it alongside Singapore (what we use). From what I understand, it's lots of discovery and out-of-the box stuff that really helps kids think mathematically.

I can't wait to hear how it goes.

May 25th, 2010, 05:37 PM
TaraJo29's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Great! I'm glad you found something you're excited about.

[/url]

May 25th, 2010, 07:39 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I've heard great things about Miquon and plan on using it with my children. Hopefully this is the one! Are you going to get a set of Cuisenaire rods to go with it?
May 25th, 2010, 08:32 PM
Yep. I'm getting everything. Workbooks, rods, etc.
May 26th, 2010, 07:12 AM
in_mommy's Avatar I am just me
LOL!! You crack me up!
May 26th, 2010, 10:15 AM
Mom 2 Alayna N Hayden's Avatar Texan In Seattle
Glad you've found a great math system! I'll have to look into Miquon. My 4 year old DD has a very natural grasp of math (like her daddy) but gets easily overwhelmed with a big page of words and numbers. I've been stressing out about which math to choose and was going to look into Singapore as well.

Siggy by RASPBERRYBERET!!
May 26th, 2010, 10:18 AM
It looks like Miquon doesn't cover money, but you could easily teach that yourself. A lot of people use Miquon and Singapore together. We didn't take to singapore, though.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search