Preschool

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 26th, 2010, 07:53 AM
Veteran
Sorry for all the posts Mommas

I was thinking about starting Preschool with my 3 (will be 4 in September) and 2 year old come the fall. I was wondering if you all use a curriculum or just make up your own? I've never done the Preschool thing here at home, but I think it's something we would all enjoy. I looked over the Abeka and that appears to be something Josh would enjoy. The Horizons is just way too expensive for us and the workbooks look a little advanced for him and especially my 2 year old. What do you all suggest?

Thank you!!
Baby Emma born 11/11/10 and Baby Bean Due 10/02/11
May 26th, 2010, 08:28 AM
BensMom's Avatar Ephesians 4:29
I like Abeka, but you can do the same thing for free. If you really WANT the structure where everything is prepared and laid out for you, then yes, get Abeka. It's great. If you want something free, though, there are a ton of options. We'll be able to give you lots of suggestions if you want them. It would require slightly more prep for you, though.
May 26th, 2010, 08:33 AM
Veteran
I would love suggestions! Thank you very much!

Having the structure and it all laid out for me is kind of what I need or I lose my focus! lol

Thanks again!

I wanted to tell everyone, I'm really happy I found this board. I have never found so many supporting homeschoolers before. Thanks again!
May 26th, 2010, 08:41 AM
I have to run out for a while, but I've got lots of suggestions. I'll be back. I'm sure others have suggestions, too. There are some free options out there, and there are also some fairly cheap options that you have to pay for, but none are as expensive as buying a kit would be.

Take a look at these to get a little preview:

ENCHANTED LEARNING HOME PAGE
Learn to Read with phonics
Brightly Beaming Resources
Progressive Phonics - Progressive Phonics

More to come.....
May 26th, 2010, 11:18 AM
in_mommy's Avatar I am just me
Here is another good site that I like:
PreKinders: Website for Pre-K & Preschool Teachers
May 26th, 2010, 11:25 AM
Veteran
Wow! I didn't realize there was so much out there for Preschoolers!

Bensmom- The Progressive Phonics looks really neat! I'll have to take a closer look later when I have more time!

Jenn - Thank you! Hopefully everyone later will give me some time to look over everything!

Thank you Momma's!
May 27th, 2010, 10:53 AM
Sorry... been hectic around here. Here are some more sites to look at. Some are free and some aren't.

Head of the Class
Sadlier-Oxford | Educational Publishing from Prek–12+
iKnowthat.com - Online Multimedia Educational Games for Kids in Preschool, Kindergarten, and Elementary Grades
BrainPOP Jr. - K-3 Educational Movies, Quizzes, Lessons, and More!
Cool math 4 kids - math games, math puzzles, math lessons - designed for kids and fun!
JumpStart 3D Virtual World - adventure based learning for kids
Academic Kids Free Online Educational Encyclopedia
Poisson Rouge . Red Fish Soup . Games for Children . Jeux pour Enfants (this is french or english, but most is in picture form, so it doesn't matter which language you use)
KID EXPLORERS: Family-friendly Entertainment and Education [Home page] - ChristianAnswers.Net
PBS KIDS: Educational Games, Videos and Activities For Kids!
Seussville
Shidonni World - Virtual Pets Drawings Come To Life
Index Mrs. Alphabet's Members 2
Homeschool, After School, Summer Study - Time4Learning - Home (computer based curriculum)
The Children's University of Manchester
Educational Websites For Kids - The KidsKnowIt Network
Free K-8 Educational Videos
Jennifer Erix's Free Homeschool Bookmarks Page
Learning Page :: Professionally produced lesson plans, books, worksheets, and much more!
Lesson Pathways: Building Paths for Online Learning

There are more out there, but this is way more than you'll need. They're just the ones I've bookmarked in the past for whatever reason.
May 27th, 2010, 01:02 PM
Veteran
Thank you!! I understand hectic I'll take a look later after I get home myself. I'm off to an ultrasound appointment!

Thanks again!!
May 27th, 2010, 01:43 PM
Mom 2 Alayna N Hayden's Avatar Texan In Seattle
We didn't use a curriculum for our daughter (4.5), so we just made it up as we went. Probably could've done better, but she's very smart. I found numerous preschool materials online to print out, read books, use(d) Legos and crackers for counting/math, and have numerous educational games on the computer and Nintendo DS Lite. She is almost fully prepared to enter the 1st grade when we order our curriculum in the next few weeks.

BensMom has a great list, and I know there are tons more!

Siggy by RASPBERRYBERET!!
May 27th, 2010, 01:46 PM
Amaranth Dhanya's Avatar aka Hillarie
Send a message via Yahoo to Amaranth Dhanya
I will just do my own thing...get them working on the basics(my two youngests are 4 and 2). I dont feel they need formality at that age.

I will use suggestions from Lesson Pathways though since Im using it for my 6 yr old this fall I might as well get ideas and stuff from them too.

~My thanks to *Kiliki* for the siggy and Lucy S for the blinkies~

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search